Wr ?

Steve Johnson and Justin Jenkins. I really liked Justin Jenkins In pre-season. Johnson looked in spot -duty also. I think Jenkins isn`t getting a fair shake. Has good size ,decent wheels and great hands. Could be another Freddy Jackson story if given a shot. Johnson looked to be agressive going after the ball, unlike Mr. Hardy. :thumbsup:

Steve Johnson and Justin Jenkins. I really liked Justin Jenkins In pre-season. Johnson looked in spot -duty also. I think Jenkins isn`t getting a fair shake. Has good size ,decent wheels and great hands. Could be another Freddy Jackson story if given a shot. Johnson looked to be agressive going after the ball, unlike Mr. Hardy. :thumbsup:

I AGREE :wallbash:

yes, they both have good potential, and may very well turn into good receivers. And as much as i like johnson (not so much jenkins as a WR), you know that neither are going to be playmakers that free up evans this year. Come on, does anyone here think that jenkins will ever have to be gameplanned against, worried about, or able to free up evans. Come on now

Ya I personally don't want Coles in Buffalo, because our boy Steve Johnson is set to take the reigns as the number 2.

Where's the love for Josh Reed? Every time we needed a big play, Josh Reed stepped up. I know we need a bigger receiver, but don't forget Reed's productivity. I don't think we need Coles with this receiving corp:

1. Evans

2. Reed

3. Stevie

4. Hardy or Roscoe

Coles just brings another Reed/Evans type receiver. If the FO wants a new receiver, they should have gone for a big guy.

I still want Jenkins (just signed, won't happen) or Roscoe dealt. We have too many 5 foot nothin' 100 and nothin' receivers.

I'm sure everybody can think of 2-3 WRs the last 5 years that could of been solid.

Well.....they weren't.

Who cares if they show flashes, a real WR will elevate his game to the point where there is no doubt he is a #2 or #3 receiver.

What the Bills need to do is get a REAL #2, not take a chance on a prospect like Johnson or Jenkins. That #2 needs to work with Evans to create a REAL WR duo that Edwards can take advantage of. Evans, X, Reed, Parrish, and Johnson is great, but they need X, without it you have last year. You know, Evans being double teamed, Reed catching 2-3 clutch passes but being invisible the rest of the game, Parrish on a reverse.....that is the offense you have without a REAL #2 and we WILL NOT IMPROVE. The talent is not there, we need somebody to compliment Evans, that lesson has been proved for years now.

If the Bills can get Coles or even Toomer, they can grab a catch passing TE in the draft and not have all the pressure on them LIKE IT WAS FOR HARDY THIS YEAR. If the Bills go with Johnson or Jenkins, then whatever TE we draft will be the letdown Hardy of 2009 as will Edwards who needs real weapons. WE DO NOT HAVE THE TALENT.

If they sign a #2, then there will be Evans, #2, TE, and several talented players (Reed, Hardy, etc) to share the load. Without them, everybody will expect Evans and the rookie TE to carry the load....and will be let down AGAIN.

Status quo and 7-9 is not the answer.

Where's the love for Josh Reed? Every time we needed a big play, Josh Reed stepped up. I know we need a bigger receiver, but don't forget Reed's productivity. I don't think we need Coles with this receiving corp:

1. Evans

2. Reed

3. Stevie

4. Hardy or Roscoe

Coles just brings another Reed/Evans type receiver. If the FO wants a new receiver, they should have gone for a big guy.

I still want Jenkins (just signed, won't happen) or Roscoe dealt. We have too many 5 foot nothin' 100 and nothin' receivers.

Reed is a failed #2 and has never been a solid #3.

Last year he was solid?

I agree, and with Trent scared to go downtown with the ball Reed got plenty of opportunities. I thought he made the most of them and moved the chains for us quite a bit IMHO

You really saw how out of sync the offense got when he was sidelined with the injury and Parrish manned the slot.

Ugly.

yes, they both have good potential, and may very well turn into good receivers. And as much as i like johnson (not so much jenkins as a WR), you know that neither are going to be playmakers that free up evans this year. Come on, does anyone here think that jenkins will ever have to be gameplanned against, worried about, or able to free up evans. Come on now

Jenkins was our leading receiver in pre-season last yr. What another undrafted no-name free-agent not getting a shot? yes there are politics even in the nfl. Is this happening ,I really can`t say. :thumbsup:

I concur. I told a few Bills fans friends of mine before last season to keep an eye on Jenkins. Yeah, I looked pretty dumb, given his limited play, but he has more going for him than Hardy, IMO. Johnson just may become a stud.

Ya I personally don't want Coles in Buffalo, because our boy Steve Johnson is set to take the reigns as the number 2.

I'm to the point if Coles doesn't sign, I really don't care.

As for Johnson, I really like him and his potential. Saw some things in him last

year I really liked.

His biggest problem is he won't get a real chance as a number two with Hardy on

the roster. Hopefully his chance will come this year with Hardy unable to compete

early on with his bad knee.

i'd rather have a proven vet in coles manning the #2 spot vs. pushing reed into that role (he excels at #3 and should stay there, working the slot) or trying steve johnson there now, when he's clearly not ready

if coles can be signed he puts johnson and jenkins where they should be on the depth chart - competent backups who can step in if need be

i like what the bills are doing here IF they can continue to plug the non-line holes with mid-tier free agents (florence, and hopefully coles/june/jones), saving the high draft picks for areas that can't be addressed easily in free agency (i.e. DE and TE).......still want to see a starting caliber guard brought in though - kendell simmons might be the ticket

Jeez, I can't believe what some of you guys post on here, do you ever read the papers or what other posts have to say?

The HEAD COACH and OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR have both recently stated in the buffalo news;

1st they need to score more points!

2nd, opposing teams have been shutting down the Bills only deep receiver and they DESPERATELY need another player who can be an actual threat to help Lee Evans and Trent Edwards.

3rd they stated, and I quote: "WE DON"T REALLY HAVE THAT GUY" !, meaning the 2nd receiver who is so good that he can take pressure away from Evans and make teams stop doubling him, which will open up the passing game and give Trent someone to throw to ...that is ACTUALLY OPEN!!!.

When they make a statement like "we don't really have that guy" do you think the coaching staff has never given Jenkins, Johnson and Hardy chances to show what they can do?

They most certainly do give all of them ample chance to shine in practices, reps, If they make to many mistakes they obviously don't see much playing time!!

The difference between those young raw players and an experienced good veteran player is astounding, a seasoned vet can run precise routes, already know all the "hot reads", and earn the trust of the QB by not making constant rookie mistakes and drops during games. Receiver position in the NFL is called a "skill" position because it takes a great amount of skill and knowledge to preform at the NFL level. A receiver can easily run an off route and cause an interception, that screws the QB and the trust factor.

SO YEAH, the Bills are really desperate for that second or even primary receiver to open up the passing game.

I'd love to see the Bills go for Marvin Harrson, but I know they can't afford him, I'd settle for Coles though.

AND, they still need a tight end :thumbsup:

Crikey,

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/585785.html

• “In our division they know who our big threat is,” he said. “It’s Lee Evans. So what are they going to do? They’re going to take him away. They’re going to make you beat them in other ways. We have to improve in the pass game, no doubt about it.”

“When you double Lee, he’s your big home run threat. You’ve got to find someone else who’s going to get deep. We don’t really have that guy. We had James [Hardy] but he was limited in what he did, being a rookie. We have to find other ways to get the ball down the field.”

• At the same time, Schonert said he tried to call deeper routes more times than people realized.

“We call them and you get sacked. You get beat right away. There were times when we had Lee Evans for a touchdown. We had Hardy for a touchdown the very first play of the first Jets game, but we had to dump it off to Marshawn real quick because of protection.”

Last year he was solid?

The problem with Reed is that he very rarely makes a big play. He's a good example of the problem weighing this team down. He's just good enough that it never seems to be a pressing need to replace him, but he's not making a lot of plays to help them win games, either. Just look at his stats. He averages 11.6 yards per catch and, through seven seasons, has 284 receptions for only 9 TDs. He's scored no more than 2 TDs in any one season of his career. In his three best seasons, he's caught 165 passes...for three TDs. He certainly has a place on the team, but that's unacceptable for a starter.

They need more production out of that position, specifically points.

Jeez, I can't believe what some of you guys post on here, do you ever read the papers or what other posts have to say?

The HEAD COACH and OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR have both recently stated in the buffalo news;

2nd, opposing teams have been shutting down the Bills only deep receiver and they DESPERATELY need another player who can be an actual threat to help Lee Evans and Trent Edwards.

3rd they stated, and I quote: "WE DON"T REALLY HAVE THAT GUY" !, meaning the 2nd receiver who is so good that he can take pressure away from Evans and make teams stop doubling him, which will open up the passing game and give Trent someone to throw to ...that is ACTUALLY OPEN!!!.

When they make a statement like "we don't really have that guy" do you think the coaching staff has never given Jenkins, Johnson and Hardy chances to show what they can do?

They most certainly do give all of them ample chance to shine in practices, reps, If they make to many mistakes they obviously don't see much playing time!!

The difference between those young raw players and an experienced good veteran player is astounding, a seasoned vet can run precise routes, already know all the "hot reads", and earn the trust of the QB by not making constant rookie mistakes and drops during games. Receiver position in the NFL is called a "skill" position because it takes a great amount of skill and knowledge to preform at the NFL level. A receiver can easily run an off route and cause an interception, that screws the QB and the trust factor.

SO YEAH, the Bills are really desperate for that second or even primary receiver to open up the passing game.

I'd love to see the Bills go for Marvin Harrson, but I know they can't afford him, I'd settle for Coles though.

AND, they still need a tight end 0:)

Aren't these the same Einsteins that felt that they desperately needed to sign Jason Webster because Jabari Greer wasn't ready? :wallbash:

Sorry, but putting your faith in Dick Jauron's ability to properly evaluate football talent is like putting faith in Illinois politicians. For god sakes, the man is plain stupid. The fact that Chris Kelsay is still here pulling in that grand larceny sized paycheck is all you need to know about the decision-making ability at One Bills Drive.

They said it!! So it must be true!! :thumbsup:

I agree with those. I just don't think Coles is the answer. He's not the same player he used to be. Whats more is, yes, I do think Steve Johnson could fill those shoes if given the chances. Hopefully he will get it.

Aren't these the same Einsteins that felt that they desperately needed to sign Jason Webster because Jabari Greer wasn't ready? 0:)

Sorry, but putting your faith in Dick Jauron's ability to properly evaluate football talent is like putting faith in Illinois politicians. For god sakes, the man is plain stupid. The fact that Chris Kelsay is still here pulling in that grand larceny sized paycheck is all you need to know about the decision-making ability at One Bills Drive.

They said it!! So it must be true!! :thumbsup:

If Greer is so good, then why are the bills letting him leave, why sign Drayton Florance instead ? :wallbash:

The team has a coaching staff. Head coach,offensive coordinator, position coach.

While I agree that Jauron (HC) and Schonert (OC) are tools and inept in some areas, I'm not convinced Tyke Tolbert the receivers coach is a complete dunce just yet.

It doesn't take a rare mind to see if a receiver is running his routes properly in practice, if he is catching everything thrown his way, if he can separate from DB's and make a difference.

Not to mention that the QB and QB coach also have input into the offense, if someone really stands out and can make big plays consistently in practice then they would be given more chances on game day, pure and simple.

Trust me, when an elite receiver completely turns around the DB and then runs right by him it opens up eyes. "The Bills really don't have that guy" :lol: