Markets favor Kerry?

Mickey

I know the common "wisdom" on the right is that democratic administrations are bad for business and republican ones are good for business (to reach that conclusion you just have to ignore the depression) but for some reason, the oil markets think differently:

Speculators bet on Kerry win, Oil falls

The oil markets seem to see a Kerry win as resulting in lower oil prices. Now that would be a good thing for the economy, at least for businesses besides Exxon and such.

Let me make it easier to respond to this story for the right. If you think "Economic forces are outside of a President's control, type "A". If you believe that the story is just another example of the left wing media preferring Kerry, type "B". If you think that higher gas prices are good for the economy because they create jobs in the Phillipines, type "C". If you are afraid that lower gas prices will lead to larger government, type "D". If you think that oil prices should be set by God, not man, type "E". If you plan to denounce this story as a hoax right after you call your broker to dump your oil stock, type "F". If you think that terrorists are in favor of lower gas prices, type "G".

:D:D

I think the market in correct. A Kerry administration will abandon 9-11, and like the Europeans and Clinton, will lick Arab B*lls for cheap oil.

It was not without reason that Enron was transformed from a 2nd-floor walk-up to 29 government contracts, some valued at billions, under the Clinton Administration. But of course, the polls were soothing and who would have thought that 70/1 P/E ratios were phony?

Bon Apetit. :D

Hey, I'm paying $2.14 a gallon. I'm tired of being held for ransom by the oil co. and NYS bloated taxes :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: exxon and NYS government!

95766[/snapback]

In 83 the price of a barrel of oil in todays dollars would be 83 bucks. How bout that.

Oil is just one factor in the economy, and this story is about a handful of analysts who are betting on lower prices if Kerry wins. The oil market as a whole is more ambivalent, because they know the choice of President won't matter that much to the near term supply. Kerry may rig the SPR to flow more supply into the market, but that shouldn't have a significant difference.

Some of the bets banking on Kerry's presidency and resulting low oil prices may be linked to the bet of rising US$ - which may negate the economic recovery that needs the export sector to rise.

What it shows is that its really not that scary at all, in comparison. But yet the left will tell you its all GW's fault that its at 54 dollars a barrel. Facts suck, eh?

95858[/snapback]

I keep forgetting, nothing is GW's fault, nothing at all. From reading the posts here on the right over the last few years, I can only conclude that GW has had the first "perfect presidency" in history, not a single mistake has he made and any bad thing that happened on his watch was not his fault. Comparing the price of gas now with times in the past where it was actually worse doesn't mean that prices aren't bad now, it just means that they are not the highest prices ever. That is hardly cause for praise. By the same token, I could compare the death rate for US soldiers in Iraq with the worst day of WW II and proclaim, "by comparison" that the Iraq war is an unblemished success.

What it shows is that its really not that scary at all, in comparison. But yet the left will tell you its all GW's fault that its at 54 dollars a barrel. Facts suck, eh?

95858[/snapback]

One could argue that low oil prices tended to destabilze the Oil producing countries as it put pressure on their treasuries and what ever social programs they had. Saudi at one time had very progressive social programs (for the Region).

Low revenues meant less for everyone (including the corrupt gov't) as a result the people have to blame someone for their troubles and the US becomes an easy target... The Saudi's encouraged this as it kept some of the heat off themselves...

So higher Oil may not be all bad ( may help stabilize Mideast economies).... Or it could be very bad as some money may go to terrorist organizations..... no one knows for sure....

I keep forgetting, nothing is GW's fault, nothing at all.  From reading the posts here on the right over the last few years, I can only conclude that GW has had the first "perfect presidency" in history, not a single mistake has he made and any bad thing that happened on his watch was not his fault.  Comparing the price of gas now with times in the past where it was actually worse doesn't mean that prices aren't bad now, it just means that they are not the highest prices ever.  That is hardly cause for praise.  By the same token, I could compare the death rate for US soldiers in Iraq with the worst day of WW II and proclaim, "by comparison" that the Iraq war is an unblemished success.

96540[/snapback]

West side was complaining about the price of gas, I tried to put it in perspective for him. But yet you want to compare death rates from WWII and the war in Iraq, nice try Mick. so much for our sing along..........

BTW, Bush has not had a perfect Presidency, I never said he has.

I know the common "wisdom" on the right is that democratic administrations are bad for business and republican ones are good for business (to reach that conclusion you just have to ignore the depression) but for some reason, the oil markets think differently:

Speculators bet on Kerry win, Oil falls

The oil markets seem to see a Kerry win as resulting in lower oil prices.  Now that would be a good thing for the economy, at least for businesses besides Exxon and such. 

Let me make it easier to respond to this story for the right.  If you think "Economic forces are outside of a President's control, type "A".  If you believe that the story is just another example of the left wing media preferring Kerry, type "B".  If you think that higher gas prices are good for the economy because they create jobs in the Phillipines, type "C".  If you are afraid that lower gas prices will lead to larger government, type "D".  If you think that oil prices should be set by God, not man, type "E".  If you plan to denounce this story as a hoax right after you call your broker to dump your oil stock, type "F".  If you think that terrorists are in favor of lower gas prices, type "G". 

:lol:  :lol:

95696[/snapback]

I believe that you are correct. Gas WOULD be cheaper with a Kerry win.

The Arab terrorists will be free to chip away at the free world without much fear. The cheaper gas would be our reward for putting a weakling in office, and turning our backs on the terrorist threat.