Speculation on Fitzpatrick's contract

Nothing major, but something to consider. To my knowledge, here are the facts...

1. Fitzpatrick's deal with the Bills is undisclosed.

2. His salary last season for Cinci was $932,520.00.

3. Trent has two years left on his contract, '09 for $460,000.00 and '10 for $550.000.00.

Given the fact that Fitz was signed very early in the FA period, I'm assuming that he struck a deal in the neighborhood of $900k to $1mil per season. IF that turns out to be the case, how will Trent respond to his backup making more than double? Will the Bills have to renegotiate Trent based on Fitzpatrick's contract? I highly doubt that RF took a 50% pay cut on day 1 of FA to join the Bills.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing major, but something to consider. To my knowledge, here are the facts...

3. Trent has two years left on his contract, '09 for $460,000.00 and '10 for $550.000.00.

Given the fact that Fitz was signed very early in the FA period, I'm assuming that he struck a deal in the neighborhood of $900k to $1mil per season. IF that turns out to be the case, how will Trent respond to his backup making more than double? Will the Bills have to renegotiate Trent based on Fitzpatrick's contract? I highly doubt that RF took a 50% pay cut on day 1 of FA to join the Bills.

He's probably used to it. Dint JP make more than he as a former 1st round pick?

The Bills love Trent but not enough to rip up the last two years of his rookie contract. My guess is that they'll see how this season unfolds and will try to lock him up before 2010, the last season of his present contract.

The Bills love Trent but not enough to rip up the last two years of his rookie contract. My guess is that they'll see how this season unfolds and will try to lock him up before 2010, the last season of his present contract.

That's exactly the way it should play out.

Trent's play on the field does not call for a change. If he plays well this year the Bills will revisit his deal.

That's exactly the way it should play out.

Yeah, the FO isnt nearly as enamored as the posters on this board IMO with Trent. This is a make or break year for him. He either makes strides this year or they will go another direction for 2010...so until he puts up something to get excited about, they wont be putting any more money into him.

So, you are saying that Fitzpatrick couldn't sign his name fast enough on a contract that paid him about the same thing as he made last year? Maybe a crumb more or a crumb less? :oops:

We're talking about the Bills here, remember? Kelsay, Dockery ...

This is his make or break year. If he pulls us into a winning season, back the money truck into his driveway and unload.

I'll be surprised if Fitzpatrick signed for anything less than $2 million/year for 3 years. He signed on the first day - it's not going to be for peanuts. I mean, look at what Orlovsky got ($9 million for 3 years) to clearly be a backup. Fitzpatrick will be closer to $3 million than $1 million.

Edwards signed a contract for a 3rd round pick after he was drafted. He'll get his money when he becomes a free agent, or after this year when the Bills try to keep him from being a free agent.

It's pretty irrelevant that Edwards will make less than Fitzpatrick - it's just the way the draft/FA system works and Edwards, his agent and the Bills realize this.

I'll be surprised if Fitzpatrick signed for anything less than $2 million/year for 3 years. He signed on the first day - it's not going to be for peanuts. I mean, look at what Orlovsky got ($9 million for 3 years) to clearly be a backup. Fitzpatrick will be closer to $3 million than $1 million.

Edwards signed a contract for a 3rd round pick after he was drafted. He'll get his money when he becomes a free agent, or after this year when the Bills try to keep him from being a free agent.

It's pretty irrelevant that Edwards will make less than Fitzpatrick - it's just the way the draft/FA system works and Edwards, his agent and the Bills realize this.

Don't forget if they have an uncapped year he will have to wait four years to become a UFA rather than two.

You could be right. I found this article (dated 2/12) that states Fitz was looking for David Carr money (2.1 mil per year). If he's closer to 3mil a year, I think it's another huge mistake by this FO.

He's probably used to it. Dint JP make more than he as a former 1st round pick?

J.P. was brought in to be a starter, and he was a #1 pick, so he should have made more. This loser Fitzpatrick is being brought in to back up Trent. Could be another problem on the horizon.