A word about Matt Birk

C Matt Birk: Buffalo was, in fact, one of the teams that contacted Birk. However, the veteran is seeking a deal similar to the one that Jason Brown reportedly was offered in St. Louis this afternoon, which is in the vicinity of $7 million per season. Buffalo is not prepared to pay such a contract to any interior lineman, and thus Birk will not be making a trip to Buffalo. Still, depending on the type of money he can get elsewhere, there's a remote possibility that he'll re-consider if his market value drops. The door is not closed, but it's close.

I can understand not wanting to spend that kind of money on him, as he's got to be getting up there in years. People keep saying some players aren't going to get what they're expecting due to the economy...lets hope Birk is one of those guys.

The above is from the early evening last night, in case you missed it, they also gave updates on Coles, Hangy and Simmons.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/2/27/...coles-fitzpatri

I am not sold on any starting center in the FA class right now, just a back up. I have tunnel vision going for Alex Mack in the draft to be the next Kent Hull. So whoever is brought in, in my mind is back up money saving material. However if that person can play guard show him the money.

I am not sold on any starting center in the FA class right now, just a back up. I have tunnel vision going for Alex Mack in the draft to be the next Kent Hull. So whoever is brought in, in my mind is back up money saving material. However if that person can play guard show him the money.

Problem with Mack is that it will take a first round pick (for us) to get him, as he doesn't last until 42. What do we do at DE then? We'd need to at least slide back to the end of the first round to get Mack and maybe pick up a 2 or 3 for doing so, but I don't expect any impact DE's that far back, personally.

Problem with Mack is that it will take a first round pick (for us) to get him, as he doesn't last until 42. What do we do at DE then? We'd need to at least slide back to the end of the first round to get Mack and maybe pick up a 2 or 3 for doing so, but I don't expect any impact DE's that far back, personally.

The only DE i'd take in the 1st round is Arapako (prob not spelled right) from Texas. My scenario is to trade #11 down and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd or more and take Connor Barwin as a DE. The only other center that looks good is Eric Wood from Louisville but Mack is way better.

Seriously, did you watch every Cal game or just the Miami game where they showed replays of every block he made? He was blocking a bucnh of true freshman that game! Everything that I read from the Senior Bowl was that he was the third best C there.

Honestly didn't watch every game. Know some of what I seen and read. Great against 3-4 nose tackles which could have had Buffalo 13-3 this past season instead of 7-9 which would have put them in the playoffs. Buffalo needs to win in the division to be successful. Good that he is listed as the 3rd best center when all mock's I have seen have him the first off the board at the end of the first. No way I let this guy go to another team.

Seriously, did you watch every Cal game or just the Miami game where they showed replays of every block he made? He was blocking a bucnh of true freshman that game! Everything that I read from the Senior Bowl was that he was the third best C there.

Mack was a completely different story. Unfortunately for the North, Graham Harrell of Texas Tech played so poorly that Mack's work was for naught. Mack played at center with Oregon's Max Unger playing left guard, and what a show that was. When Unger played center, Mack played left guard. The two of them together kept the South from getting to the quarterback through them.

As good as they were together, Mack still stood out from all of the linemen from either team. It was facinating to watch him playing center. Not one lineman sniffed the quarterback on his watch and gaping holes were opened by the Pac-10 Morris Award winner. He showed a good motor by finishing plays and better yet, he finished every block during the game.

What probably raised his stock the most was how well he played at guard. On one play, he walled off the defensive line opening probably the biggest running lane of the evening. Both Eric Wood of Louisville and Unger played well, but they weren't as dominating as Mack was on the night. In fact, I don't think any offensive lineman was.

When scouts and NFL personnel pop in the game tape, Mack's draft stock should rise considerably for any team looking to get either a guard or a center. Unfortunately on that same tape, they'll see Follett looking completely out of place as a middle linebacker.

http://www.examiner.com/x-599-Cal-Bears-Ex...blame-Alex-Mack ^^^^^

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...wl-day-1-recap/ <<<More praise of Mack

The 2009 center class is being talked about as the best center class in years, and the group performed rather well during the week, so much so that if your team is looking for a guard, it would be a smart move to consider one of these centers first.

Alex Mack stood out as the best of the group, but Eric Wood and Antoine Caldwell both had good weeks as well. Wood looked especially good in team play when his ability to pull was on display.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/116695-...and-duds/page/3 ^^^^^^

no dude. you were reading from that Patel guy. The consensus report from Mack was that he was by far the best in the senior bowl. He was the only player to be able to sometimes handle Raji. Raji was blowing up everyone all the time.