Coles

zdro22

I have never liked this guy. He is too similiar to what we have on this team already. Hes 5'11. He does not address our height need on the outside. He doesnt address our red zone problems either. Im glad they are active, but this isnt the answer in my opinion. Hes injury prone(foot) and not exactly 26, I believe hes 33. I just want to know why everyone is so excited. If they are trying to get speed on the outside at both spots, that doesn't seem to make sense with our average(atbest) armed qb.

Drwas coverage - more of a recieving threat than Parrish. I agree the Bills need a big bodied receiver but Coles would be a decent pick up if he is not looking for insane money.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never liked this guy. He is too similiar to what we have on this team already. Hes 5'11. He does not address our height need on the outside. He doesnt address our red zone problems either. Im glad they are active, but this isnt the answer in my opinion. Hes injury prone(foot) and not exactly 26, I believe hes 33. I just want to know why everyone is so excited. If they are trying to get speed on the outside at both spots, that doesn't seem to make sense with our average(atbest) armed qb.

I can't understand why you never liked the guy. We don't need height necessarily on the other side just someone to command attention, to free up our deep threat in Evans. A guy with height is usually what fits this bill, but sometimes a guy of Coles stature is tough enough to command the needed attention. To be the #2 with a speed threat on the opposite side you must be a threat over the middle, be willing to take a hit, be a good route runner that finds the holes in a defense, and have the hands to make catches while getting hit. These are the things Coles does great. He makes perfect sense.

He is 31 and and he is very durable. Missed 4 games in 8 years.

The fact he is 31 makes me even more interested. I don't want a 26 or 27 year old receiver that wants a 6 year deal. This would mean we are giving up (in some respect) on our young receivers. Give me a 31 year old proven veteren receiver for two reason's. Number one to transition to Hardy or Johnson, number two the length of the contract.

You can sign a guy like Coles to a 3 year deal and if Hardy/Johnson are ready, you let Coles go the last year. Front load the contract so Coles will come, use him for what we need him for, and transition to the young talent. This is how the teams that are consistently good do it.

Look, no disrespect to Coles, but we don't need him, certainly not at his asking price. We all agree that Evans is the #1, right? We've got Parrish and Reed who both play the slot very well, so the #3 and #4 options are covered (should we go to 4WR which doesn't happen often enough IMO, but that's another subject). Are people already calling Hardy a bust? Isn't it a little early? And what about Steve Johnson? He was a 7th round pick and IMO really made strides last year. He's also got great size (6'2" 202 lbs.), he's young, and he can catch the ball. We don't need Coles, and we don't need to pay him $6M+/year.

I say sign Kelley Washington to play special teams, he did a great job doing that with New England last year and it will be a cheap signing. Then let him compete with Johnson and Hardy for the number two and let Parrish and Reed (and Justin Jenkins, I suppose) battle it out for the number three. Remember, Kelley Washington was a #65 overall pick with the Bengals who was projected to go in the first round had it not been for injury concerns (that never came to fruition, I might add), and has great size at 6'3" 215 lbs. Take the money saved and get that lineman from Carolina (Hangartner), see if we can widdle an aging Jason Taylor from the Redskins for a year or two (I know that's just a pipe dream...trust me), make a run at L.J. Smith (TE from Philly), and draft Orakpo or E. Brown in the draft.

Thoughts?

No disrespect to Hardy he is not yet a bust but he is an underachiever who is injured. The Bills are going to be playing 4 games without Lynch. Hardy will not be there for them the 1st part of the season either. I like Steve Johnson too but he is not likely to be starting material until late next season if that.

Look, no disrespect to Coles, but we don't need him, certainly not at his asking price. We all agree that Evans is the #1, right? We've got Parrish and Reed who both play the slot very well, so the #3 and #4 options are covered (should we go to 4WR which doesn't happen often enough IMO, but that's another subject). Are people already calling Hardy a bust? Isn't it a little early? And what about Steve Johnson? He was a 7th round pick and IMO really made strides last year. He's also got great size (6'2" 202 lbs.), he's young, and he can catch the ball. We don't need Coles, and we don't need to pay him $6M+/year.

Thoughts?

I think you outlined exactly why they do need Coles. As you say, #1, 3 and 4 WRs are fine. And there are two 2d year guys who have nice upside and hopefully will take positive steps forward this year. But who is the experienced, capable, proven #2 on opening day in 2009? The young guys just aren't ready to fill that role.

let's just get him and finally have another WR the opposing defense needs to account for. i always liked his hands, toughness and YAC. jets are crazy to let him leave. makes me think they're going to be less-pass happy w/o favre and emphasize running w/ jones and their TE draft from last year.

let's just get him and finally have another WR the opposing defense needs to account for. i always liked his hands, toughness and YAC. jets are crazy to let him leave. makes me think they're going to be less-pass happy w/o favre and emphasize running w/ jones and their TE draft from last year.

They definitely did not draft Dustin Keller from Purdue to block, trust me.

And I'm sorry, but how hard is it for these guys to run simple digs, hooks, and drag routes? What else does a #2 WR have to do? I have to think that between Hardy, Johnson, and a potential FA acquisition like Kelley Washington we can find someone to fill that role. Most WR's don't need a third season to develop - this isn't the QB, either you can run fast and catch or you can't.

I can't understand why you never liked the guy. We don't need height necessarily on the other side just someone to command attention, to free up our deep threat in Evans. A guy with height is usually what fits this bill, but sometimes a guy of Coles stature is tough enough to command the needed attention. To be the #2 with a speed threat on the opposite side you must be a threat over the middle, be willing to take a hit, be a good route runner that finds the holes in a defense, and have the hands to make catches while getting hit. These are the things Coles does great. He makes perfect sense.

He is 31 and and he is very durable. Missed 4 games in 8 years.

Exactly. Size is always wanted yes, but it is more about knowing how to use your size and your body. Look at Hardy, he doesn't use his frame and that is why he has been ineffective for us. Coles will attract attention away from Evans, which is exactly what we need. Josh Reed is a good number 3 and he might of put up some numbers as a number 2 but he could not take doubles off of Evans because he was simply not that good in the position. As posted above, we have a solid 1, 3 and 4, why not get a solid 2 for now. I understand that some people have blind faith in Steve and Hardy but they are not ready to be a number 2, and there is no proof that they will be. Get Coles and allow them to develop and potentially become the number 2 when/if they are ready.

Also, he has been injured one time in his career, why is everyone saying he is not durable? Come on now.

That's great, but where is this hypothetical tall receiver coming from? Of course, all things being equal, you'd rather have a tall guy who can play the position, but I think it's foolish to pass on a guy who's a proven producer simply because he doesn't meet some arbitrary height criterion. Frankly, I'm astonished by the number of people who are content to stick with our corps of Evans and a bunch of #3 receivers simply because Coles is "short".

I like Steve Johnson. Yes, I realize he has very little experience, but he's just one of those guys you get a sense is something special. He made the most of his slim opportunities. Kinda of makes me wonder why the coaching staff didn't work him in sooner and more frequently, but whatever -- I think this guy is going to be a real contributor this year.

I'd rather let Hardy and Johnson battle it out after playing in the system for a year. This is a young team - we're not a #2 WR away from the Super Bowl. One of these guys needs to develop, and they've got better size AND speed than Coles (well, Hardy and Coles are probably on the same level). Build from the draft, not from free agency. Coles wouldn't get the system until halfway through the season anyway.

I like Steve Johnson. Yes, I realize he has very little experience, but he's just one of those guys you get a sense is something special. He made the most of his slim opportunities. Kinda of makes me wonder why the coaching staff didn't work him in sooner and more frequently, but whatever -- I think this guy is going to be a real contributor this year.

I doubt that they have better speed than Coles. Sure, he lost a step but he used to be one of the fastest WR's in the game, surely he is not much slower now.

Coles sucks.. I dont like him, and he is past his prime. I think Steve Johnson is better than this guy.

Why? I just don't get this. Why the boundless optimism year after year for our seventh round receivers?

because steve johnson is the next Jerry Rice. If you say it 10 times a day, it might come true. So i have to say it 9 more times today.

I don't really want to poke fun at anyone who believes Johnson is the answer at #2, I hope he's great, I really do. And I hope he gets a chance to step up and contribute this year. But 10 catches and 100 yards, and all of a sudden we have the luxury of passing on a proven receiver like Coles? I'm not saying Coles is definitely the answer, but the FO had better have a better solution in mind to improve the passing game than relying on a 2nd-year 7th round pick who caught half a pass a game.

I don't really want to poke fun at anyone who believes Johnson is the answer at #2, I hope he's great, I really do. And I hope he gets a chance to step up and contribute this year. But 10 catches and 100 yards, and all of a sudden we have the luxury of passing on a proven receiver like Coles? I'm not saying Coles is definitely the answer, but the FO had better have a better solution in mind to improve the passing game than relying on a 2nd-year 7th round pick who caught half a pass a game.

You wouldn't think this would be so difficult for people to understand.

Some of you guys are RETARDED, I'm sorry.

Remember Jimmy Smith? He caught zero passes in his first two years with the Cowboys. His third season (first with the Jags), he caught 22 balls for 288 yards.

Keenan McCardell had zero catches for zero yards his first year with Washington. He had one catch for eight yards his second season when he went to Cleveland. His third season he caught 13 catches for 234 yards and in his fourth season he caught just ten passes for 182 yards.

Chad Johnson had 28 catches for 329 in his first season with Cincinatti. T.J. Houshmandzadeh had 21 catches for 228 yards in his first season, 41 for 492 yards in his second, and none in his third.

Don Beebe only caught 28 passes for 538 yards over his first two seasons with Buffalo.

Don Hutson - called the greatest wide receiver EVER by some - caught only 18 passes for 420 yards his first season with Green Bay.

Should I go on?

All you freakin' fantasy players and stat nerds. This isn't baseball. Steve Johnson was highly touted out of Kentucky, actually. 7th rounders and undrafted players succeed all the time. Let him compete with Hardy and maybe a FA acquisition. Getting an old speed receiver on the downside of his career isn't the answer.

Some of you guys are RETARDED, I'm sorry.

Remember Jimmy Smith? He caught zero passes in his first two years with the Cowboys. His third season (first with the Jags), he caught 22 balls for 288 yards.

Keenan McCardell had zero catches for zero yards his first year with Washington. He had one catch for eight yards his second season when he went to Cleveland. His third season he caught 13 catches for 234 yards and in his fourth season he caught just ten passes for 182 yards.

Chad Johnson had 28 catches for 329 in his first season with Cincinatti. T.J. Houshmandzadeh had 21 catches for 228 yards in his first season, 41 for 492 yards in his second, and none in his third.

Don Beebe only caught 28 passes for 538 yards over his first two seasons with Buffalo.

Don Hutson - called the greatest wide receiver EVER by some - caught only 18 passes for 420 yards his first season with Green Bay.

Should I go on?

All you freakin' fantasy players and stat nerds. This isn't baseball. Steve Johnson was highly touted out of Kentucky, actually. 7th rounders and undrafted players succeed all the time. Let him compete with Hardy and maybe a FA acquisition. Getting an old speed receiver on the downside of his career isn't the answer.

I think we should be exploring all options because our offense was ranked 28th. Coles would be a worthy contributor while our young WRs develop.