Players Making Way to Much Money

Kenwick

Free agent CB Greer is being offered by the Bills 4 millon a year for a 5 year period. That's 20 million. In free agency he may be offered twice that amount.

Where is the money going to come from? Right now TV pays for most of it. BUT... CBS in the last quarter lost 52% of its revenue. The ad money is not coming in. The same is happening with the other networks. People are losing jobs, being cut back etc. Times are tough. Is the NFL immune?

I think not. Times are not good in this country. Players salaries can not and will not keep esculating. What will happen if the TV money is cut back and it could? ....... The salary caps will get cut back maybe from 123 million to 80 million. It Could happen. Will the Unions expect the owners to pony up the balance or be willing to have a across the board cut in players salaries. That is to be determined.

But who is worth 8 million a year anyway? Those salaries the players are receiving are way out of line with reality with what is going on today.

I guess it is ok though for they are getting what the market will bear.... but for how much longer. Things have to change........I guess they will try to get as much as they can while the getting is good. I would.....

Free agent CB Greer is being offered by the Bills 4 millon a year for a 5 year period. That's 20 million. In free agency he may be offered twice that amount.

Where is the money going to come from? Right now TV pays for most of it. BUT... CBS in the last quarter lost 52% of its revenue. The ad money is not coming in. The same is happening with the other networks. People are losing jobs, being cut back etc. Times are tough. Is the NFL immune?

I think not. Times are not good in this country. Players salaries can not and will not keep esculating. What will happen if the TV money is cut back and it could? ....... The salary caps will get cut back maybe from 123 million to 80 million. It Could happen. Will the Unions expect the owners to pony up the balance or be willing to have a across the board cut in players salaries. That is to be determined.

But who is worth 8 million a year anyway? Those salaries the players are receiving are way out of line with reality with what is going on today.

I guess it is ok though for they are getting what the market will bear.... but for how much longer. Things have to change........I guess they will try to get as much as they can while the getting is good. I would.....

The salaries are ridiculous, especially in light of the recent economy. If the NFL owners want to pay these guys that much money they are foolish. Would any other company be allowed to dictate to the business owner terms, the way pro athletes are allowed to? No. The NFL has been built on owners putting out a great product for DECADES versus a Chad Johnson who plays great for a few years. I side with the owners obviously and I think more people do. I would tell the players and players union to stick it.

Subject #2 These guys make all this $$$ then complain about being role models(and unfortuantely in this society they are). So to player and owner, if you want to place your name across the back of a jersey and allow some kid to emulate you guess what, your off field actions better be responsible. If your not responsible and are arrested smoking crack, shooting people and assaulting people, guess what? You should be fired, period! But no, the NFL unfortunaltey appears to want to cater to the Pacmans and Vicks of the world. If so, I hope I never see a young kid with a jersey of those guys again. I'm not law suit happy and think the majority of law suits have no credible basis and are a reason for alot of problems in our society. I could however see some parent, victim or injured bystander suing a player or the league based on the message they are sending to impressionable youths and/or delinquent parents. If I was the injured bouncer inthe Jones case I'd sue the league in additon to Pacman Jones for setting the tone for the culture they are representing.

I dont think the economy will recover once a few football players salaries are reduced. But honestly, if the market supports it who cares, if the market cannot, then the slaries will naturally come down with the market. Its simple economics really.

Everything is lining up for 2010 to be the last season that people are getting paid this much money. Guys are cashing in right now. But believe me, the handwriting is on the wall for what is coming. Sports teams are still making money right now because it is people's way to escape. We go to games to forget about everything else going on around us, if only for 2 or 3 hours. It's comforting, it's safe, and it's enjoyable. Sports are the only refuge that some people. It will be a sad day when those sports that people find refuge in are forever changed or even worse, forever gone.

Well as the original poster stated, it is market economics.

Everyone should be reminded that the owners also signed the collective bargaining agreement. No one had a gun to their heads.

As far as player conduct, I personally don't think the players have a moral obligation to act like role models. This is the real world. I choose to act like a role model even though I have no children. People will act how they want.

Act in the way you feel you should. Let others do the same. Judge yourself first. Others second. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

And finally, the NFL instituted a tougher Personal Conduct Policy. That's about all they can do.

Well as the original poster stated, it is market economics.

Everyone should be reminded that the owners also signed the collective bargaining agreement. No one had a gun to their heads.

As far as player conduct, I personally don't think the players have a moral obligation to act like role models. This is the real world. I choose to act like a role model even though I have no children. People will act how they want.

Act in the way you feel you should. Let others do the same. Judge yourself first. Others second. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

And finally, the NFL instituted a tougher Personal Conduct Policy. That's about all they can do.

Well if you talk about the pressure and abuse that RW and Paul Brown went through (because they were the only owners who didnt vote yay), that's as close as possible to a gun to the head.

A lot of owners were scared to question the quickly rammed through and voted on Tagliabue agreement because they were making good money and didnt want to think about the absurdity of labor unrest. Added to that, the media vilified owners such as RW and Paul Brown who didn't sign, calling them cheap, old and senile (which could be true, but not in this case).

But you can't just kick the can down the street forever, and now they'll have to think about it again, with more dire consequences this time.

It's coming out of your paycheck so the Gov't can prop up failed businesses who can keep overpaying for TV commercials.

But yes, a day of reckoning is coming for pro sports and the insane money they are making. Good article in the paper yesterday by a longtime NBA insider who practically guaranteed a lockout in two years when that deal ends, and a radical reduction in the pay structure as a result.

There is a major redistribution of global wealth happening and it is most definitely flowing out of this country.

What CEO is worth $193 million? Larry Ellison: Oracle.

Nabeeb Gareel, MEMC Electronic Materials: $79.6 million.

John Chambers, Cisco: $54.8 million.

And this is just the top three from the Tech Industry.

Like everybody else has said, it's whatever the market will bear. The players are going to demand the cash and the owners will find a way to pony up. Especially the best players and the owners with the deepest pockets. It has always been thus.

Keep in mind only a very, very small handful of people can do what these guys do. I don't begrdge anyone the opportunity to earn a living, if you were in their shoes you would not turn the money away. Look at what movie stars get for doing essentially meaningless work (in terms of the big picture).

Well if you talk about the pressure and abuse that RW and Paul Brown went through (because they were the only owners who didnt vote yay), that's as close as possible to a gun to the head.

A lot of owners were scared to question the quickly rammed through and voted on Tagliabue agreement because they were making good money and didnt want to think about the absurdity of labor unrest. Added to that, the media vilified owners such as RW and Paul Brown who didn't sign, calling them cheap, old and senile (which could be true, but not in this case).

But you can't just kick the can down the street forever, and now they'll have to think about it again, with more dire consequences this time.

I thought Paul Brown abstained... :rolleyes:

Ralph???

Is that you?