Dog Barking Part Two

TSNBDSC

... i understand that in certain breeds that it's in their nature to bark ... i think any breed will be happy and bark when it's put out in the evening to do it's own thing ... but i don't think it shoud go on for more than 15 minutes ... what do you think is an acceptable length of time for this ? ... dog owners may think it should be longer ... neighbors may think less ... thoughts please ...

... i understand that in certain breeds that it's in their nature to bark ... i think any breed will be happy and bark when it's put out in the evening to do it's own thing ... but i don't think it shoud go on for more than 15 minutes ... what do you think is an acceptable length of time for this ? ... dog owners may think it should be longer ... neighbors may think less ... thoughts please ...

15 minutes of incessant yapping is enough to drive a sane person over the edge. 5 minutes is too long, but, because we live in a tolerant society where no one is responsible for his/her actions much less those of a dog, I'll give you 5.

I posted about this a few months ago and I ended up buying a dog whistle (9.95 at petsmart) and everytime that little rat bastard of a dog barks, I blow the whistle! Afetr a few days he STOPPED and when I blow it, he runs to his back door and scratches to get in! Best 10 bucks I ever spent!!

My neighbor who lives behind me has a German Sheperd (I love German Shepherds by the way) that they leave outside 24 hours a day 365 days a year. He barks all the time.....its so damn annoying. They had a yellow lab also that they actually got rid of because it barked more than the Shepherd, the lab would bark untill its voice was hoarse....no bs. The poor dog (the Shepherd) gets absolutely no attention and actually has no shelter as even their deck is uncovered. He sits outside all day even during freezing rain and 100 degree heat. What the hell is the point of having a dog if you are just going to treat it like that?

My neighbor who lives behind me has a German Sheperd (I love German Shepherds by the way) that they leave outside 24 hours a day 365 days a year. He barks all the time.....its so damn annoying. They had a yellow lab also that they actually got rid of because it barked more than the Shepherd, the lab would bark untill its voice was hoarse....no bs. The poor dog (the Shepherd) gets absolutely no attention and actually has no shelter as even their deck is uncovered. He sits outside all day even during freezing rain and 100 degree heat. What the hell is the point of having a dog if you are just going to treat it like that?

Do you live in WV ? (like I do)

Sounds like one of MY neighbors...

This amounts to abuse IMHO

I posted about this a few months ago and I ended up buying a dog whistle (9.95 at petsmart) and everytime that little rat bastard of a dog barks, I blow the whistle! Afetr a few days he STOPPED and when I blow it, he runs to his back door and scratches to get in! Best 10 bucks I ever spent!!

... where abouts at pet smart ? ... couldnt find one at the last store i visited ? ...

report them to the local ASPCA, that is just wrong

... where abouts at pet smart ? ... couldnt find one at the last store i visited ? ...

Aisle 3

report them to the local ASPCA, that is just wrong
I would if he wasn't a cop and I weren't on probation.

Can other neighbors hear and see into the backyard? If yes, see about reporting it anonymously.

That's awesome! :blink:

Ask Mrs. Beerball.

Report them to your local ASPCA. This is a classic case of animal abuse.

I would if he wasn't a cop and I weren't on probation.

You can report anonymously with the ASPCA and you probably wouldn't have to testify either because the ASPCA has to do a thorough investigation before they can press charges anyways, meaning they would have to see the abuse themselves.

In most states, as long as the dog has shelter, food and water, it is legal to do that. I would check and see if that is the case. If it isn't, call the authorities. Other than that, get a dog whistle and go all Clarence Clemmons on the dog when it starts barking.

Check your local ordinances and see what they say. Some are pretty specific and detail distances, length of time, loudness (decibels), time of day and so on. Others are vague or practically non existant.

If that dog is outside, by itself, and there isn't anything around to cause it to bark (other dogs, cats, etc.), I guarantee you, it isn't barking because it is happy.

You can report anonymously with the ASPCA and you probably wouldn't have to testify either because the ASPCA has to do a thorough investigation before they can press charges anyways, meaning they would have to see the abuse themselves.

Most of the time, they tell the pet's owners what needs to be done to be in compliance and give them an appropriate amount of time to do so. Usually, it amounts to: shelter, food & water.