Impressing Performances at the combine

thebandit27

It's raining TE's in this draft. The Bills have many needs. Why take Pettigrew at 11? Threre are 3 TE' sthat have the same athletic ability and both Nelson and Jared Cook, and Casey are better deep threats. We could get one in the 2-4th round that would imporve the team as much or more if you are looking for a down the field guy. Pettigrew is not any better as an athlete than Gronkowski who will likely be around unitl the 4th or 5 th round or lower

I would hate Pettigrew at pick 11.

Use pick 11 somewhere else. Like DE or LB (Pass Rushing) or DT. Or trade out of the spot. I would not mind Pettigrew at pick 28. Yes I do think he will be there at 28 and if not. Oh Well. Were stuck with Jared Cook who has the potential to be a perennial pro bowl guy. If need by I would have no problem Waiting around until the 4th round for a TE.

I've tried asking this question before and no one could give me a decent answer. Other than Jared Cook's impressive athleticism, what makes you believe he could be a perennial probowler?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried asking this question before and no one could give me a decent answer. Other than Jared Cook's impressive athleticism, what makes you believe he could be a perennial probowler?

Cook's college production was very good admittedly not great at a school where the QB was not the greatest and the running game was not good.

You cannot ignore the numbers Cook he put up at the combine. 40 inch vertical he is already 6' 5" Huge Hands and long arms. The guy is gettingup there big time. He can catch he is an excellent receiver. Look at his shuttle and cone times very strong.

In contrast Pettgrew did not even run all the shuttle and cone drills. When he did his numbers were not as good as Gronkowski'd and not close to Cook's .

Check stats at Football future. Tight ends. Check Milehighreport.com/combine for information on how the pro scouts evaluate talent based on the combine numbers.

Cook's combine compares favoribly to any one who has come out in the last 5 years maybe longer.

Cook's college production was very good admittedly not great at a school where the QB was not the greatest and the running game was not good.

You cannot ignore the numbers Cook he put up at the combine. 40 inch vertical he is already 6' 5" Huge Hands and long arms. The guy is gettingup there big time. He can catch he is an excellent receiver. Look at his shuttle and cone times very strong.

In contrast Pettgrew did not even run all the shuttle and cone drills. When he did his numbers were not as good as Gronkowski'd and not close to Cook's .

Check stats at Football future. Tight ends. Check Milehighreport.com/combine for information on how the pro scouts evaluate talent based on the combine numbers.

Cook's combine compares favoribly to any one who has come out in the last 5 years maybe longer.

So basically you have scout day combine euphoria. Your solely basing it on his combine performance. The only thing you brought up aside from his impressive combine was that his "college production was very good". what was very good about it?

No one is still able to mention anything about him aside from his combine. The best I heard was that the qb from SC sucked and that is why he didn't have good numbers. Another words making an excuse for his lack of production. I am not saying it is not justified, but the bottom line is it is an excuse.

So by your draft day analysis, you would of picked up vernon davis right?

Btw, for those who say that speed is the main determinant. Anquan Boldin ran a 4.73 forty as a WR.

Too many people get this scouting day combine euphoria. They get wowed with these super athletes, then when they draft them, they realize that the player they drafted really isn't that good of a football player.

In contrast, all the analysts were very impressed with Pettigrew, they said he had the softest hands of the bunch, he had an explosive broad jump and vertical considering his size and we all know what kind of blocker he is. Let's not underrate that.

I'm not against Jared Cook, I just hope if we draft him, that he is a football player first.

The Bills, call them nuts call them crazy but call them consistent in that THEY LIKE TEs WHO CAN BLOCK. Pettigrew is a manimal, an awesome blocker who can also be a very good reciever. Nelson, Cook and Casey are not good blockers, regardless of footage from a few select plays shows. Drool all you like, but expect Pettigrew or some 4th or 5th round guy we've never heard of who might develop in a few years.

I posted a rundown of Cooks analysis in another thread so I don't feel like finding it again but I'll say that everything that's a knock on Cook can be corrected through coaching, IMO, and he will, in the long run, be the best TE to come out of this draft.

I know people hate those who read draft guide roundups and then post based on them but I would ask where they get their info from? How many of them have pored over college films and attended the combines?

That said. I'll need to read up more on all the TE prospects before making a final decision.

Does anybody still care about the combine? Other than for bottom half draft picks and FA signings?

Robert Gallery proved to be what a joke the combine is.

I criticize people who put too much stock in the combine. Having said that, there is no doubt that it does serve it's purpose. There is no doubt that the combine should be part of the equation when you are evaluating draft day talent, I just question those who put too much emphasis in it.

But Bill, the scouts definitely care about the combine, like it or not, and it makes a lot more of a difference then just the bottom half draft picks or FA signings.

I criticize people who put too much stock in the combine. Having said that, there is no doubt that it does serve it's purpose. There is no doubt that the combine should be part of the equation when you are evaluating draft day talent, I just question those who put too much emphasis in it.

But Bill, the scouts definitely care about the combine, like it or not, and it makes a lot more of a difference then just the bottom half draft picks or FA signings.

Fair enough

Yeah I'm a bit put off (rightly or wrongly) about Pettigrew's lack of speed. Especially so high in the draft.

I've heard some compare him to Jason Witten...big man, walls off receivers, great blocker, etc.

The difference is that Witten ran a 4.65 at the combine, a full 2 tenths faster than Pettigrew. Also Witten was selected in the 3rd Round at #69 overall.

As I've posted several times on this subject, Pettigrew reminds me more of Kyle Brady....drafted high, big man, good athlete, great blocker, couldn't get open.

I could be wrong 'cause I've been wrong before. That said, I wouldn't take Pettigrew at #11.

Pettigrew by far is still the best overall TE in the draft. All these numbers are good up to a point. The 40 times for a TE are overrated. Do corner backs cover tight ends ? As an example if your a LB or a SS that runs a 4.62 40 and Pettigrew runs a 4.87 and off the line Pettigrew applies a good move he could be 10-20 yards in the clear. So much for being .25 of a second faster - it's way over rated. I wanna draft a football player not a gymnast.

Let me try to moderate here:

Trader did not say he hated Pettigrew. He said he hated him at #11.

And he likes Cook but I don't remember him saying pick Cook at #11.

So the question is Pettigrew at #11 or Cook at #42?

Does this seem about right?

I understand San Jose, I'm not saying that we shouldn't pick Cook at #42. All I am saying is, What has Cook done in his career other than being a stud athlete? I think that is a fair question to ask. Just because he is a super athlete doesn't justify him being the #42 pick.

I had this conversation with Steely Dan earlier, but I believe that Pettigrew is a "sure thing" in my view. There is no doubt that he will be an excellent blocker. That right there is a big plus and an underrated attribute that a lot of people on this board don't appreciate. I understand why, because that's all we've ever had, and they are tired of just blockers. But aside from his blocking, he has arguably the softest hands out of the entire list of prospects coming out this year. So that is a big plus. He moves around very well, he is very nifty and agile, combined with his size he will provide a very reliable target. He has been known to get good separation from his opponents.

I just think he is a complete Tight End.

I'd much rather pick Pettigrew at #11 at this stage because I know what he can bring to the table. Cook to me is an unknown, and I just hope that if we are looking to draft him, that he is a Football player and not the next Vernon Davis.

I understand San Jose, I'm not saying that we shouldn't pick Cook at #42. All I am saying is, What has Cook done in his career other than being a stud athlete? I think that is a fair question to ask. Just because he is a super athlete doesn't justify him being the #42 pick.

I had this conversation with Steely Dan earlier, but I believe that Pettigrew is a "sure thing" in my view. There is no doubt that he will be an excellent blocker. That right there is a big plus and an underrated attribute that a lot of people on this board don't appreciate. I understand why, because that's all we've ever had, and they are tired of just blockers. But aside from his blocking, he has arguably the softest hands out of the entire list of prospects coming out this year. So that is a big plus. He moves around very well, he is very nifty and agile, combined with his size he will provide a very reliable target. He has been known to get good separation from his opponents.

I just think he is a complete Tight End.

I'd much rather pick Pettigrew at #11 at this stage because I know what he can bring to the table. Cook to me is an unknown, and I just hope that if we are looking to draft him, that he is a Football player and not the next Vernon Davis.

Good stuff. I'm operating on a gut feeling and so are you. That's cool. A few years from now, if not sooner we'll be revisiting this subject. Maybe we should set up a "who's right and who's wrong database" to keep track of all our predictions and opinions. ^_^

Does anybody still care about the combine? Other than for bottom half draft picks and FA signings?

Robert Gallery proved to be what a joke the combine is.

We take the combine too seriously. I'm not so sure scouts put as much emphasis on the drills and such. The main things that are best about the combine for teams is that they give the Wonderlic, they interview the players and they give them medical examinations. IMO, all of those are the most important things about the combine and mostly things we'll never hear about.

Din't you mean to say "impressive performances at the combine" instead of something as illiterate as "impressing performances at the combine"?

If you would have just stuck with "good performances at the combine" that would have turned out a lot better.

Bandit, thanks for the update, I really haven't paid the combine to much attention, so I value your observations, and analysis, not too concerned about how you title them, like some other morons are, just keep em coming. ^_^

Way to bring your always-astute observations into the discussion Poland.

Someone needs to bring this up. The illiteracy on this Board is actually quite scary. It's kind of tough to have your post taken seriously when you butcher words and misspell other ones.

"Impressing"..... ^_^

Someone needs to bring this up. The illiteracy on this Board is actually quite scary. It's kind of tough to have your post taken seriously when you butcher words and misspell other ones.

"Impressing"..... ^_^

Dude, chill will ya? This site isn't meant for vetaran jounalists, the contint is what we need to focis on. It is a freakin

discussin bored. Sorry we all don't possess your penmenship and wit, maybe you need to relocate yurself to some other

place a little less fryhtining fur ya, are you afraid of the bogeyman too!

SC alum here...Jared Cook was the best player on a team in the SEC (top competition). He was constantly double-teamed and for many games he was the only offensive weapon (McKinley - WR was hurt at times during the season). SC had revolving QBs - all who couldn't play in the MAC. Unfortunately, he was too impressive in the combine and now the Bills likely have no shot at him in Rd 2.

SC alum here...Jared Cook was the best player on a team in the SEC (top competition). He was constantly double-teamed and for many games he was the only offensive weapon (McKinley - WR was hurt at times during the season). SC had revolving QBs - all who couldn't play in the MAC. Unfortunately, he was too impressive in the combine and now the Bills likely have no shot at him in Rd 2.

A good question was asked.

A good answer was given.