PC Problems

tmk-nj

My PC started to freeze up after booting up. I realized that I had an expired Trend Micro (which I believe had antivirus as well) application. So it is safe to assume my system has been at risk for some time now.

I was trying to download MacAfee through Comcast (this is free as a Comcast customer) but keep getting the following messages:

When clicking on the "download" option using Internet Explorer 7, I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and gives the following likely causes:

Most likely causes:

You are not connected to the Internet.

The website is encountering problems.

There might be a typing error in the address.

When clicking on the "download" option using Firefix I get "Failed to Connect" and "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at download.mcafee.com."

Obviously I have network connectivity but am infected with something. I have a laptop that does not have the same problem so it is with this server.

I was on with MacAfee support and they were having me run "Malwarebytes" and "Super Antispyware". These were both run and removed a lot of threats but I still have the same issue.

Another weird thing I found is that when I run Windows Update I am sent to Google.com.

So my question is this: I really dont want to reload the OS but I will as a last resort.

Are there any other programs I can download that could resolve this?

Im thinking there is something that is not being detected and would like to fix this.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Tom

Your computer is compromised, most likely by a rogue antivirus program, that prevents you from going to many security-related websites.

I have to run now, to fix a computer, but will be back later, if you still have this issue.

Do NOT use the McAfee program.

If you can get there from your computer, or another one, download the rescue program from here, and follow the directions:

http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

Hopefully, that clears up things enough to download and run Malwarebytes Antimalware (free version):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

(It is a free trial, but remains a perfectly good anti-malware scanner after it expires, it just loses its active monitoring component)

Install Avira Antivir (free version), as soon as you are able to get to the site, and install it:

http://www.free-av.com/

Thanks for the replies!

I did run the free Malwarebytes program a few times. I had gotten it from Pcsafety.us.

I also just tried your steps but cannot get to the malwarebytes link you included. The scan from http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com ran and scaned. Some threats were founs but not cleaned.

I had bought this PC from QVC a few years back and have a reload disk but that would be a last resort as i would have to backup all my stuff (which I should be doing anyways :-) )

I am running XP Media Center Edition SP3.

I would love to put Vista on but would have to find a copy to install.

Are there any other programs besides the malwarebytes and Super Antispyware programs I have already run?

THANKS!!

Your computer is compromised, most likely by a rogue antivirus program, that prevents you from going to many security-related websites.

I have to run now, to fix a computer, but will be back later, if you still have this issue.

Do NOT use the McAfee program.

If you can get there from your computer, or another one, download the rescue program from here, and follow the directions:

http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/

Hopefully, that clears up things enough to download and run Malwarebytes Antimalware (free version):

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

(It is a free trial, but remains a perfectly good anti-malware scanner after it expires, it just loses its active monitoring component)

Install Avira Antivir (free version), as soon as you are able to get to the site, and install it:

http://www.free-av.com/

Have you tried starting the comp in "safe mode" and then running the various antivirii programs? Better still, if you have a bootable CD, start from that and then run the programs.

Another trick I've tried: "Cntl+Alt+Del" get the Task Manager and try to End all nonessential processes. This requires a little more effort because you'll want to google each process to see what it is, write them down one by one. Then go back and "End" them. (The worst that's ever happened is I "End" something that's critical and the comp crashes and I restart and start all over again.) Then run your antivirus stuff. Doesn't always work, but sometimes helps.

Then I'd suggest stop using Internet Explorer.

On a related, but similar note. I was going to ask this in the CD board this afternoon, but this thread seemed a good place to start. What good (i.e. free or very cheap) antivirus programs do people (Fez, Dean) recommend? I'm about to buy a couple work comps and of course want to load something on them. I've used Norton in the past. (but you have to pay every year and I've seen so many viruses get through it, that it makes me wonder why pay for something that never seems to actually prevent something from getting on my machine.) On my current laptop, I'm using AVG free version, and it seems to be sufficient. A friend uses the Avira Antivir and seems to like it.

Any other alternatives? Again, I don't mind paying something, but I'd rather not pay much because I'm not sure any of these things work that well.

Thanks for the replies!

I did run the free Malwarebytes program a few times. I had gotten it from Pcsafety.us.

I also just tried your steps but cannot get to the malwarebytes link you included. The scan from http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com ran and scaned. Some threats were founs but not cleaned.

I had bought this PC from QVC a few years back and have a reload disk but that would be a last resort as i would have to backup all my stuff (which I should be doing anyways :-) )

I am running XP Media Center Edition SP3.

I would love to put Vista on but would have to find a copy to install.

Are there any other programs besides the malwarebytes and Super Antispyware programs I have already run?

THANKS!!

You can't get to the Malwarebytes website (or probably the website of many other security-related products) because the infection is hijacking your browser. If you have another computer to use, download the Firefox portable (or Google Chrome portable) on a USB stick. You can then use that browser, from the stick, to get to websites you need to be on.

But, if you have already used Malwarebytes, it should be on your hard drive. See if it will open. Try safe mode, if it won't open in regular mode (you won't be able to update in safe mode) and do a scan. But, if you can't install or open Malwarebytes or SuperAnti, then you have a real nasty infection.

I had one of those today, and worked from 1PM or so, until 8PM tonight, fighting all the issues. It is mostly finished, but I have to go back tomorrow to take care of a couple of loose ends.

I will give you a couple of relatively-simple alternatives to try. If they work, you will be able to open Malwarebytes and SuperAnti. If not, I'd recommend a reinstall, posting your issue on a good forum (the forum at spywareinfo.com is a good one) or calling a professional to clean it.

If you want to give it another go, you can try to install and run Trojan Remover. This will remove most of the real nasty stuff, and also do a boot scan. It is a 30 day free trial. Typically, I uninstall it after using it to clean a computer..

http://www.simplysup.com/

Another than might get through the current nastiness is a-squared AntiMalware (free version):

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

As soon as you can get your old Anitvirus uninstalled, install Avira and run a rootkit scan, and a full system scan.

That SHOULD get most of the nastiness out (run Malwarebytes and SuperAnti, too). But, as has been noted, it is possible to still have issues, even though the machine appears clean.

On a related, but similar note. I was going to ask this in the CD board this afternoon, but this thread seemed a good place to start. What good (i.e. free or very cheap) antivirus programs do people (Fez, Dean) recommend? I'm about to buy a couple work comps and of course want to load something on them. I've used Norton in the past. (but you have to pay every year and I've seen so many viruses get through it, that it makes me wonder why pay for something that never seems to actually prevent something from getting on my machine.) On my current laptop, I'm using AVG free version, and it seems to be sufficient. A friend uses the Avira Antivir and seems to like it.

Any other alternatives? Again, I don't mind paying something, but I'd rather not pay much because I'm not sure any of these things work that well.

I used AVG free for years, and was happy with it. The problem is, it got bulkier and slower, and it's detection rate got lower. I don't recommend it anymore.

There are three AVs I use and recommend. They are consistently the top performers in virtually all of the legitimate AV tests.

Avira Antivir: My personal favorite. The lightest of the AV products, and very fast and effective. Catches many malware issues too, and has a good rootkit scanner. The paid versions have more bells and whistles, but the detection level is the same as the free version. It is free only for personal use...honor system, of course.

avast!: The free version of avast! has more features than Avira free (email protection, for example) and about the same detection level. A little more bloated, but not as bad as most of the major AV products. On the plus side, it has a boot-scan option.

Nod32: The best of the commercial products. Detection level similar to Avira and avast! (with fewer false positives, I think) and real support. But, it is about $60/year ($70 for 2 machines...a bargain).

Another AV product that I have yet to use, but which has pretty good reviews, is Subelt's VIPRE. Faster than most suites and includes a anti-malware section as well as an AV. Attractive pricing at $30 for one PC and $50 for all the PCs in the house. Sunbelt is a good company with good support.

Whenever I can use Avira, I do. Occasionally, a machine has an issue with it, so I go to avast! (which also runs on Win 98). If a client needs real support, then the choice is Nod32. I will experiment with Vipre one of these days.

Whatever you choose, let me know when you get your machine, and I will give you a list of tweaks, and security products, I recommend to improve speed and security.

I used AVG free for years, and was happy with it. The problem is, it got bulkier and slower, and it's detection rate got lower. I don't recommend it anymore.

There are three AVs I use and recommend. They are consistently the top performers in virtually all of the legitimate AV tests.

Avira Antivir: My personal favorite. The lightest of the AV products, and very fast and effective. Catches many malware issues too, and has a good rootkit scanner. The paid versions have more bells and whistles, but the detection level is the same as the free version. It is free only for personal use...honor system, of course.

avast!: The free version of avast! has more features than Avira free (email protection, for example) and about the same detection level. A little more bloated, but not as bad as most of the major AV products. On the plus side, it has a boot-scan option.

Nod32: The best of the commercial products. Detection level similar to Avira and avast! (with fewer false positives, I think) and real support. But, it is about $60/year ($70 for 2 machines...a bargain).

Another AV product that I have yet to use, but which has pretty good reviews, is Subelt's VIPRE. Faster than most suites and includes a anti-malware section as well as an AV. Attractive pricing at $30 for one PC and $50 for all the PCs in the house. Sunbelt is a good company with good support.

Whenever I can use Avira, I do. Occasionally, a machine has an issue with it, so I go to avast! (which also runs on Win 98). If a client needs real support, then the choice is Nod32. I will experiment with Vipre one of these days.

Whatever you choose, let me know when you get your machine, and I will give you a list of tweaks, and security products, I recommend to improve speed and security.

Thanks Dean! I was leaning towards the Avira. But had not heard of the Nod32. I'll have to look into it some more. I've downloaded the Vipre upon your advice to other posters but haven't really had the chance to use it much yet.

I agree on th AVG. It's not bad, but kinda bulky. It serves me well but I'm not sure I'd put it on less knowledgeable person's machine.

I expect delivery of the machine in 5-10 business days. Of course, it's customized up a fair bit. I'm a little anxious about it; never got a brand like this. But, it was a really good price and had decent reviews. We'll see I guess. Also, I bit the bullet and went with Vista SP1. I know all the issues with Vista, but I just couldn't see putting XP on a comp that should be around for another 5 years or more.

Have you ever tried the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows? I've found it pretty darn helpful with machines that were really bad infected or messed up. Good for machines that get the passwords changed too.

Thanks Dean! I was leaning towards the Avira. But had not heard of the Nod32. I'll have to look into it some more. I've downloaded the Vipre upon your advice to other posters but haven't really had the chance to use it much yet.

I agree on th AVG. It's not bad, but kinda bulky. It serves me well but I'm not sure I'd put it on less knowledgeable person's machine.

I expect delivery of the machine in 5-10 business days. Of course, it's customized up a fair bit. I'm a little anxious about it; never got a brand like this. But, it was a really good price and had decent reviews. We'll see I guess. Also, I bit the bullet and went with Vista SP1. I know all the issues with Vista, but I just couldn't see putting XP on a comp that should be around for another 5 years or more.

Have you ever tried the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows? I've found it pretty darn helpful with machines that were really bad infected or messed up. Good for machines that get the passwords changed too.

Nice machine, Dan...that's a real beaut. I wouldn't worry too much about Vista. It came out too soon, and took a lot of, deserved, bad press and word of mouth. Now, it it's actually fine. A memory hog, to be sure, but really nowhere near as bad as many think. You should be able to go to Windows 7, if you want, down the line, I think. Windows 7 runs lighter than Vista, but still not as light as XP.

I do not have that boot disc, and I'm glad you brought it up. I downloaded something similar (in description) a while back, and it sucked. But, I wanted to get this one. I've sort of spaced, on it recently. Haven't needed it yet, but might need it tomorrow...who knows. Thanks, I'll download it now.

Nice machine, Dan...that's a real beaut. I wouldn't worry too much about Vista. It came out too soon, and took a lot of, deserved, bad press and word of mouth. Now, it it's actually fine. A memory hog, to be sure, but really nowhere near as bad as many think. You should be able to go to Windows 7, if you want, down the line, I think. Windows 7 runs lighter than Vista, but still not as light as XP.

I do not have that boot disc, and I'm glad you brought it up. I downloaded something similar (in description) a while back, and it sucked. But, I wanted to get this one. I've sort of spaced, on it recently. Haven't needed it yet, but might need it tomorrow...who knows. Thanks, I'll download it now.

Hope its a good machine. I didn't max out the options, but added about another $1,000 to the list price with memory, Velociraptor drives, board upgrades, the works. But, that was the nail in XPs coffin for me. Windows 7 is supposed to come out this fall and they say you can upgrade from Vista, but with XP it'll be a complete overhaul.

You'll need a full Windows CD for the UBCD. Then spend a little time to update the antivrus definition files and it becomes a really handy tool.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an update...

I finally got that computer and was out in Idaho last week setting it up. Let me just say... it absolutely screams! By far the fastest computer I've been on. It'll be used mostly for relatively high end GIS stuff and it'll more than handle it.

Installed: Vista64 SP1- no problems. It was actually quite quick and easy. No complaints what so ever. Avira. And some standard programs (Office, Adobe, ArcMap).

Overall impression with CyberPower PC was great. The machine arrived excellently packed; looked good; and appears very solid in its construction. I'd say, hands down, best computer I've ever played with. (Cost was about $2100 not counting software.)

As another aside:

On a separate machine (on my personal laptop!) I got one hell of a virus - Win32/Heur (virut-type thing). It was an absolute beast. If anyone gets it - trust me - immediately back up your files (not the *.exe's) wipe your drive, reformat and start from scratch. It was a week of pure hell. By far the worst virus I ever came across.

Just as an update...

I finally got that computer and was out in Idaho last week setting it up. Let me just say... it absolutely screams! By far the fastest computer I've been on. It'll be used mostly for relatively high end GIS stuff and it'll more than handle it

As another aside:

On a separate machine (on my personal laptop!) I got one hell of a virus - Win32/Heur (virut-type thing). It was an absolute beast. If anyone gets it - trust me - immediately back up your files (not the *.exe's) wipe your drive, reformat and start from scratch. It was a week of pure hell. By far the worst virus I ever came across.

Great to hear, Dan. It sure looks like a beauty, from the link.

And, yes that's a nasty infection, and it comes in some different flavors. If you can, I agree a wipe and reformat might be the best option, but there is really no guarantee (in every case) that it will be gone, if you restore infected files, reinstall the infected program...or if it came with the computer, on a newer machine.

But, many variations of that can be cleaned, very well, if the reformat/reinstall isn't an option.

While reading this thread my Avast automatic update pop-up showed up.

Avast is very good and I can highly recommend it...

Avast ye mateys!

I pre-apologize ... I don't feel good today, I'm off my game ... wait, I'm still a rook ... I don't have game yet.

While reading this thread my Avast automatic update pop-up showed up.

Avast is very good and I can highly recommend it...

Avast is quite good, a nice product that does a lot. I lean toward Avira, but I have to give Avast it's due, too.