DE is a huge need but

BeastMode54

That will drop him to the second round. This guy has bust written all over him. Jared Cook fellas.....check out his combine numbers. Shawn Nelson is another good option. He had a good week at Senior Bowl, was very productive in college, and had a nice combine so far.

He certainly didn't help himself today with a poor workout at the combine.

That said, John Carlson ran a 4.88 last year and all he did was catch 55 passes for the Seahawks as a rookie, so I wouldn't totally write Pettigrew off, but that's a worrisome 40 time.

That will drop him to the second round. This guy has bust written all over him. Jared Cook fellas.....check out his combine numbers. Shawn Nelson is another good option. He had a good week at Senior Bowl, was very productive in college, and had a nice combine so far.

I wouldn;t mind Nelson either, but Cook seems to be another "workout warrior", and that concerns me

I've been saying all along, that I wouldn't be upset at all with Pettigrew being our overall number #11. He to me seems like a sure thing. You know for sure that you are going to get a well above average blocker, and that at worst case an average recieving blocker, at worst. I think by making this pick, if it turns out this way, we will ensure us of having that Tight End that we so desperately need. He will no doubt be our best TE that we have had in a long time and maybe ever.

This silly argument that I always see here on this message board, criticizing picking a center or TE this early is a ridiculous argument. It tells me that these same people who make these arguments have been listening too much to the draft "gurus" or "experts". This argument never made sense to me. Every position on the offensive and defensive side of the ball is important. I'd much rather pick a very good TE with a 1st round pick then pick up a decent DE with my 1st round pick. If you've noticed, the positions that were considered "less" important like guard for instance are now starting to get paid much more comprable pay as the Tackle position. WHich leads me to believe that NFL teams are starting to realize that just about every position in Football is about as important as the next.

I believe he runs in the 4.6s.

You place way too much importance on speed. so by your way of evaulating players, you would look at speed first. Great!!

That means you would of picked Vernon Davis with the #6 overall pick and would'nt of even considered Carlson for an early round pick.

Speed no doubt is an element of the game, but being a football player is a more important element of the game. Pettigrew is a Football Player. Vernon Davis is an athlete who isn't a football player.

There were 3 things I found to be extremely interesting about Pettigrew. 1- His separations skills, against college players atleast. He always seemed to be able to get open no matter who was covering. 2- His blocking. He straight manhandled Orakpo when they played Texas. He also goes over to the sidelines to beg his coach to run the football to his side of the field because he's handling the guys lined up in front of him. 3- His overall size. They said with his height, arm length, and vertical that he could go up and get the football close to 12' in the air. That would be one heck of a "Red Zone" threat.

You place way too much importance on speed. so by your way of evaulating players, you would look at speed first. Great!!

That means you would of picked Vernon Davis with the #6 overall pick and would'nt of even considered Carlson for an early round pick.

Speed no doubt is an element of the game, but being a football player is a more important element of the game. Pettigrew is a Football Player. Vernon Davis is an athlete who isn't a football player.

True. But a 4.87 40-time is a red flag, especially when he expected to run in the 4.4's, and taking him 11th overall isn't worth it IMHO.

True. But a 4.87 40-time is a red flag, especially when he expected to run in the 4.4's, and taking him 11th overall isn't worth it IMHO.

I don't think that ANYBODY expected him to run in the 4.4's. He said he wanted to go out and run a 4.4, but obviously it didn't happen. I figured he'd run in the mid to upper 4.7's, but he was even slower than that. They also said that he'd put on 6 lbs. since the Senior Bowl and that's what worries me. He's definitely got a big body that he could pack muscle onto, but do you believe that he added 6lbs. of lean muscle in 3 weeks? I don't. It could show a problem with his work ethic, but it may be nothing at all. I just don't know if he should be the #11 pick with all of the prospects at TE out there. He does have some things going for him with his size, blocking, and hands. But can he get open consistently in the NFL?

Bust is too strong a word for Pettigrew. I agree that he is not worth the 11th pick I like Nelson, Cook and Casey as well as Pettigrew.

i still like Pascoe in the mid rounds but he is not going to stretch the field.

He also said the 4.4 comment, while laughing during his press conference at the combine. So, yeah, he isn't a blazer, but neither is:

Chris Cooley (4.87)

Zach Miller (4.87)

Heath Miller (4.82)

I think with him, getting into the route, getting open and making runs after the catch will equal any deep catches the others might get as a TE in a slot (Y open) position.

He also said the 4.4 comment, while laughing during his press conference at the combine. So, yeah, he isn't a blazer, but neither is:

Chris Cooley (4.87)

Zach Miller (4.87)

Heath Miller (4.82)

I think with him, getting into the route, getting open and making runs after the catch will equal any deep catches the others might get as a TE in a slot (Y open) position.

These are all good TE's.

I don't think anyone expected Pettigrew to run a 4.4

If you noticed, he had an impressive vertical jump and Broad Jump, so not only is he a jumper for such a big guy, but that shows burst, the ability to separate.

Having said that, I still ideally would rather pick up Raji, Brown, Curry or Orapko if available.

The only other thing that has me possibly wanting to pass up on Pettigrew if these guys aren't available is that this years TE class is so deep. I believe there are a number of TE's this year that would be an upgrade to what we have had.

These are all good TE's.

I don't think anyone expected Pettigrew to run a 4.4

If you noticed, he had an impressive vertical jump and Broad Jump, so not only is he a jumper for such a big guy, but that shows burst, the ability to separate.

Having said that, I still ideally would rather pick up Raji, Brown, Curry or Orapko if available.

The only other thing that has me possibly wanting to pass up on Pettigrew if these guys aren't available is that this years TE class is so deep. I believe there are a number of TE's this year that would be an upgrade to what we have had.

Jared Cook though has been even more impressive. He had 23 bench reps, a 10'3" broad jump, a 4.50 40 time, and a 41" vertical. He's really helping his cause right now. The one thing that separates Pettigrew is his blocking. He's like having an extra Tackle on the end out there.

40 are overrated. Especially for TEs. Pettigrew is a complete TE. He's a punishing blocker and a sure-handed receiver. I don't expect him to stretch the field or fly down the seam. I expect him to run block well and be a reliable target underneath for Trent. He's a big boy with good hands and he would get a lot of passes in our offense, serving as a safety valve, getting the check downs and dump offs. Pettigrew isn't a burner but he presents matchup nightmares due to his size.

I wouldn't have a problem with him at 11 at all. And that was a great article on him from nfl.com. I read it yesterday and almost posted it too.

Jared Cook though has been even more impressive. He had 23 bench reps, a 10'3" broad jump, a 4.50 40 time, and a 41" vertical. He's really helping his cause right now. The one thing that separates Pettigrew is his blocking. He's like having an extra Tackle on the end out there.

Those numbers from Jared Cook were very impressive. I really don't know much about him, what is your take on him H20 as a football player?

and Let's go Bills I absolutely agree with everything you just said.