Bills looking for a WR ?

thewildrabbit

I love Boldin, Housh, Johnson and even Plax. But the problem is, would any of those 4 guys really sign/accept being traded to the Bills? Aside from Housh, the other 3 all have become known quietly as attitude problem guys, and would any of them really be happy playing for what will probably be a mediocre Bills team that doesn't get alot of publicity? And I'd love Hosuh, but if Philly is smart, they'd make a big push to get him so McNabb can have a real reciever.

Well actually, how about we bring McNabb up and bring one of these guy along for the ride with him? :(

As for the other recievers, the Bills can really use a guy to be a solid #2 or at least a really good #3. Just get some weapons out there who can catch a ball and help spread the play around a little bit more so Marshawn isn't running into 8 people every time he carries it.

Regardless of how "great" you guys think our WR's are, we need to pick up a REAL difference maker in FA or via trade. Evans is our #1. Who's our #2 WR? Reed? Parrish? Hardy? Johnson? Johnson shows promise, but he's not there yet and likely won't make the giant leap forward to a #2 WR this offseason. Could it happen? Sure, but I doubt it. Reed is better fit for a #3 WR in the slot position where he can find the opening in the defense on slants, curls, and outs. He is NOT a quality #2 WR that we should be content with. Hardy is coming off of an ACL injury and likely won't be ready for much action this coming season. Parrish is another guy who fits as a slot WR and is not a #2 WR. Say what you want about Roscoe, but he can get open and has decent hands. Waste of a roster spot? I think not. His punt return ability alone would earn him a spot on ANY NFL team. Do you guys remember the return in the Seattle game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwdSe53KJ8 Watch the vid from 1:15 to 2:10 to refresh your memory. Parrish against the Broncos

The quality isn't that great, but I hope you start to get the point. If some one wants to give us a decent offer for the guy so be it, but he's not a waste of a roster spot.

We do need a real compliment to Evans still. The question is are we looking for a long-term guy or some one for the short term? If it's long-term (3 years or more) I say we go after Bryant, Boldin in a trade, Holt in a trade, or TJ Houshmandzadeh. If it's more of a short-term I say we go after Toomer, Clayton, Furrey, Gaffney, Darryl Jackson, or McCareins. I think that any of the guys mentioned would be an upgrade over what we have already. They all know how to play the position and could help to teach the younger guys the finer points of the game at the position. Especially veterans like Toomer, Furrey, Gaffney, and Jackson. I just think that Clayton and McCareins would be an upgrade and am not really sure how much of a help in the younger players' developement they would be. Either way, this position still needs to be addressed on the offseason.

I'd move Hardy to the practice squad for a year. It would give him some time to develop some real skill in the position as opposed to relying on his physical ability, which we didn't see too much of in year one. Furthermore, he wouldn't rush himself back and potentially make a bad situation worse.

I don't think they can and if they did any team could take him as long as they add him to the active roster. That wouldn't be smart at all.

Steely Dan

If the Bills could pick up Boldin for a 3rd or 4th rounder I'd say do it and cut Jenkins. Jenkins is probably more expendable than I think but it would take a big name like Boldin to remove him, JMO. Nobody on the list seems worth it except for T.J. Houshmandzadeh and he'll probably get a contract for more than he's worth.

Do you honestly think they can get Boldin for a 3rd or 4th rounder?? He is one of top 5 receivers in the game.

Get real!

I never said I thought they could. I said If they could, meaning I wouldn't want to see the Bills give up more for him.

BTW, can you learn to use the quoting system correctly. It's very annoying trying to respond to you.

Regardless of how "great" you guys think our WR's are, we need to pick up a REAL difference maker in FA or via trade. Evans is our #1. Who's our #2 WR? Reed? Parrish? Hardy? Johnson? Johnson shows promise, but he's not there yet and likely won't make the giant leap forward to a #2 WR this offseason. Could it happen? Sure, but I doubt it. Reed is better fit for a #3 WR in the slot position where he can find the opening in the defense on slants, curls, and outs. He is NOT a quality #2 WR that we should be content with. Hardy is coming off of an ACL injury and likely won't be ready for much action this coming season. Parrish is another guy who fits as a slot WR and is not a #2 WR. Say what you want about Roscoe, but he can get open and has decent hands. Waste of a roster spot? I think not. His punt return ability alone would earn him a spot on ANY NFL team. Do you guys remember the return in the Seattle game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwdSe53KJ8 Watch the vid from 1:15 to 2:10 to refresh your memory. Parrish against the Broncos
The quality isn't that great, but I hope you start to get the point. If some one wants to give us a decent offer for the guy so be it, but he's not a waste of a roster spot.

We do need a real compliment to Evans still. The question is are we looking for a long-term guy or some one for the short term? If it's long-term (3 years or more) I say we go after Bryant, Boldin in a trade, Holt in a trade, or TJ Houshmandzadeh. If it's more of a short-term I say we go after Toomer, Clayton, Furrey, Gaffney, Darryl Jackson, or McCareins. I think that any of the guys mentioned would be an upgrade over what we have already. They all know how to play the position and could help to teach the younger guys the finer points of the game at the position. Especially veterans like Toomer, Furrey, Gaffney, and Jackson. I just think that Clayton and McCareins would be an upgrade and am not really sure how much of a help in the younger players' developement they would be. Either way, this position still needs to be addressed on the offseason.

I absolutely agree that we need a compliment to Lee Evans.

However, I don't think we need to go after a wide reciever this offseason. Guys like Furrney, Jackson, Gafney and that bunch, I'm not sure they would do better than Steve Johnson, and I definitely wouldn't want to pay anything significant to that bunch.

As far as Boldin or TJ, as much as I would love to have them on this team, Teams are not eager and willing to pay that sort of cash for 2 top wideouts. It just doesn't make too much football sense, in many GM's view. The structure of a football team and the salary cap makes it very difficult to pay top dollar and spend $20 Million on 2 widerecievers. Think about it for a sec, $20 Million on 2 widerecievers. So what does that leave for the other 60 players? $100 Million? It's not proportionate. Lee Evans is all ready getting a buttload of cash, and most likely guys like TJ and Boldin would command even more money. Not to mention what we would have to give up as far as draft picks for Boldin. If we were to get Boldin, I wouldnt be upset at all, but I don't see this as being a likely pickup, too much $$ and draft picks.

I think that there are more pressing needs for this team to go after than the widereciever spot. When Steve Johnson was given his opportunity in the last two games I think he showed a lot, and he should be given the opportunity to show what he can do, and who know's, maybe, just maybe Hardy might be able to show something as well.

I'd move Hardy to the practice squad for a year. It would give him some time to develop some real skill in the position as opposed to relying on his physical ability, which we didn't see too much of in year one. Furthermore, he wouldn't rush himself back and potentially make a bad situation worse.

That would be a huge mistake. When you're on the practice squad, any team can simply take you without asking. If the Giants wanted, they could take Hardy without asking.

A second-rounder wouldn't last long.

Will NOT happen. You have to keep him on the roster.

The Bills really, really, for real need a top notch WR opposite Lee Evans in my opinion. This would do a few things right away.

1. Take all the double and triple coverage off Lee.

2. Help Derek Fine who I think will be a very good TE (like Clark-Cooley).

3. Allow us to take care of 2 positions WR - TE.

4. Allow us than to concentrate on DE/DL/LB help.

So with the Bills 1st round pick the 11th overall in the 2009 NFL Draft the Bills select

Jeremy Maclin - University of Missouri - MIZZOU Height / Weight: 6-1 / 200

2008 STATS RECEPTIONS - YARDS - TOUCHDOWNS

102 1,260 13

CAREER STATS RECEPTIONS - YDS -TOUCHDOWNS

182 2,315 22

I totally understand we need help at DE/DL/LB but can we pass him up ?

Yes, we can!!

:( I agree, but as I posted in another thread Bryant is giving serious consideration of resigning with the Bucs. Another viable option IMO is Michael Clayton. He is healthy once again, & the Bucs #1 receivers Galloway & Bryant last year had NO PROBLEM getting open with him on the other side. He also made some timely catches & is a GREAT down field blocker.

I agree. For a team that needs help in other areas, Clayton could prove to be a somewhat economical choice. He is still young, has good size and actually was VERY good his rookie season. I know he's not been the same since 2004 but injuries and a revolving door at QB has been part of the problem. He would be at least worth throwing into the mix with Johnson and Hardy.

We need long-term help. Their names are Hardy and Johnson. We aren't going to do any damage in the playoffs next year. So none of the big guys will be brought in. But someone to bridge the gap and help the young guys learn would be reasonable.

We need long-term help. Their names are Hardy and Johnson. We aren't going to do any damage in the playoffs next year. So none of the big guys will be brought in. But someone to bridge the gap and help the young guys learn would be reasonable.
Just to give some insight into how long it can take for a player to develop:Josh Reed. It took the guy almost 6 years to become a really decent "go to" slot possession receiver in the NFL.

He was originally drafted by the Bills in the second round (36th overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft. He played at Louisiana State.

At LSU in 2001, Reed was awarded the Fred Biletnikoff Award as the nation's best receiver.

While at LSU, Josh was one of the most productive receivers in SEC history. In only two years as a wide receiver (his freshman year he played running back for most of the season and he declared for the NFL draft after his junior season) he rewrote the SEC record books. He holds the SEC record for receiving yardage in a game (293 vs. Alabama in 2001) and season (1,740 in 2001). He also held the career receiving yardage record with 3,001 yards until 2002 when the record was broken by Georgia receiver Terrence Edwards. Reed also holds the SEC season record for receiving yardage per game (145.0 in 2001) and is second in the career receiving yardage per game (96.8).

At the 2002 NFL Combine, Reed ran the 40 yard dash in 4.54 seconds, had a vertical jump of 37 inches and ran the 10-yard shuttle in 3.96 seconds

C'mon guys,when Josh Reed was out with an injury the passing game completely tanked, remember ?

Even with a healthy Reed in the slot Bills just don't have a dominate receiver opposite Lee Evans yet. Hardy or Johnson may well develop into that second guy but I won't hold my breath waiting for either one to get the job done.

While some argue that defensive help is more pressing, I'll continue to wave the red flag at being 25 on offense.Buffalo's passing offense was horrid last year and they need immediate help!