Who Would Make the Biggest Impact for the Bills

Kenwick

Does Pettigrew scare you with the character issues?

Yes. Its something that the Bills would need to check out thoroughly. I only know about the one incident, and I *might* be willing to let that slide, depending upon details that we the fans will probably never see. If there are multiple issues over the years, then I would likely take him off the board.

if the Bills took Raji at 11, do you think they could use Spencer Johnson at DE?

I still think they would use him at DT on a rotational basis. But to answer your question yes, either on certain running situations or if they are looking to blitz the linebacker from the outside and his function is to help collapse the pocket.

I think that whomever we take at the C position will make the biggest impact for our team because we are going to get one of the top tier guys. Whether in the 1st or 2nd or 3rd, the guy will be an instant starter. Overall, the draft is pretty deep with talent in our positions of need. Those positions being OL, DL, TE, and LB. I'd say the guy that would make the "biggest" impact for our team if we could get him would be:

1. Crabtree- An absolute beast that would be an opening day starter.

2. Raji- Would be the opening day starter beside Stroud and would immediately help us to sure up the middle of the "D"

3. Jerry- He too would start on opening day and would be the quick/slashing DT we've been looking for.

4. Brown- Him and Shobel would be a excellent tandem at DE (regardless of how many "experts" ;) say he's an OLB).

5. Orakpo- You may say he takes plays off and he's a "workout warrior", but he's an ox that would supplant Kelsay easy.

6. Curry- Would make a ton of tackles, but would have to learn the defense. Learning curve would hinder him a little.

7. Cushing- Excellent in coverage (played S at one point), good tackler, and is built like a wrestler. Would start at OLB.

8. Macklin- Another explosive playmaker that could make a difference opposite of Evans.

9. Pettigrew- I'd hate the pick, but he would do well with Trent's "checkdown first" mentality.

10. Johnson- I have him 3rd behind Brown and Orakpo, but he just may be better than both of them. It's up to him.

I would take any one of them EXCEPT for Pettigrew. The problem with taking a Tight End at 11 is that we need one to stretch the field, but if the Tight End stretches the field, who in the hell is going to get the ball to him. As stated in the assesment of Pettigrew, Trent checksdown way to much and that would defeat the purpose of having a stretch the field Tight End. I think the pick here should be one of the DE's that is a playmaker.

I think the pick here should be one of the DE's that is a playmaker.

Good luck finding one of those. There have been nine DEs drafted in the first two rounds over the last two years. The four drafted this year had a grand total of 9.5 sacks this season between them. The five drafted last year had a total of 12.5 this season and a total of 12 last year. So, our last two DE classes have a grand total of 224 games in the NFL...and a total of 34 sacks.

It looks even worse when you consider that Gaines Adams and Chris Long have 18.5 of those. Those other 7 guys aren't doing much of anything.

The point is, if you're looking for a DE to come in and make an immediate impact, you are very likely to be disappointed. The DE position is like QB. Its a long term investment that rarely pays dividends in the first couple of years.

You dont take a wr at 11. You dont need one that will be that costly. Bills just signed Evans to a lucrative deal. Johnson or Hardy eventually will develope into a solid player. WRs dont make an impact their first year. Unless he is a freak, and then he isnt there at pick 11.

TE is another way to go, but it sounds to me that every TE has something missing from the game or a question. So wait until round 2 and grab one of them. This years TE class reminds me of last years WRs. They will start going off the board late first into the second.

The Bills need to go front seven on D. Whoever they think is the best fit at DE or DT. Would not be terribly upset if the picked a stud LB either. I kind of like Cushing, he might be a reach at 11. But could be the best of the three LBs comming out of USC. DT would be a safe good pick. Bills havent drafted a DT in the first since when?

In the end it all depends on how the Bills feel about the young guys they drafted last year to step up this year, and what they do in FA. They might think Ellis can contribute this year. Also could feel that Fine will have a good year if he stays injury free.

No matter what i would not take a WR in the first. Esoecially not one from the Big 12 where they play no D. Johnson had very similar numbers to Macklins and Johnson played in the SEC.

Its all speculation until FA starts. Then we will get an idea of how this team will approach the draft.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we were to finally get a very good TE to give the QB --- and this goes especially for Edwards --- a safety valve. I'm tired of having TEs who are either great blockers or good receivers, but not any kind of combination of both. Derek Fine raised my eyebrows a few times this season in the limited time he had, but we need another TE anyway.

But that gets me to C. Doesn't do much good to have a TE when the middle of the line caves in on most plays. We need a guy who can handle the AFCEast NTs --- you know --- the ones who've given Edwards and our offense fits. It's convoluted to me to think that a QB who operates smoothly and looks good against 4-3s suddenly looks like sh-- against 3-4s. More likely it is someone in front of him who can't do their job against the changed variable of the behemoth NT. In my mind, all the indicators point to Mack as the guy who can solve this problem. He is a big boy who's shown he can hold his own physically and maybe more important, the dude is intelligent. Giving the QB more time will let him use the skill players we already have. The center is not on rotation shift; he's out there for every offensive play. When I think value, when I think impact, I think here. It may not be as sexy as a shiny new DE, but we need to get the best center in this draft who can handle all kinds of DTs and NTs.

Now if that's Mack (which seems to be the consensus, tho lots is yet to see) and some people are saying that he can be had late-first, then fine. Wait until the dust settles and trade down into a spot where we can be certain to get him, and pick up some more picks in what's been called a deep draft. Great, so much the better. He could just as easily shoot up the board. The pike is a long drive from here to April and we'll see how it all plays out.

I like this mode of thinking. Buffalo has to look big picture here, and finding a center to contain the Wilfork's, Jenkins', and whomever Miami throws out there is key to any offensive success. I wouldn't argue with trading down into the low 20s to secure Mack. That should bring a second rounder to drop 10-12 slots down, so long as they can make the move.

The Bills have demonstrated an affinity for trading up, but this year it oughta be the exact opposite. Pettigrew is the most complete TE, but 11 is still too high. I'm not high on the DE's, and even though that's an issue, the offense is a bigger problem. At the same time, if this team reaches for a guy because they're too afraid to trade down, it isn't a wise move. I've never felt Buffalo's front office could out maneuver opposing front offices on draft day. I hope I'm proven wrong.