What is the offensive system run by Buffalo?

San-O

I am not an O-coordinator, or an offensive genius, I try to play more of an arm-chair GM, however what is

Buffalo's offensive system or scheme?

Doesn't seem to get mentioned much, even during the broadcasts on game day.

They don't rely on the run, OR the pass, except maybe a very short pass West Coast kind of I guess?

What is the philosophy, what is it they want to do?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's entirely correct. I'm pretty sure we run a variation of it since we not only take off the good players that the QB can't hit, but we also insert bad players into the positions that the QB can hit (i.e. Royal). I think they call it the 3 Yard Royal. It's just like how we don't play a cover 2, but instead a tampa 2.

More like a Tampon 2

Hate to spoil the fun, it was amusing.

The serious answer is that the Bills run a form of the West Coast Offense. The meaning of this catch phrase has become diluted and there are many hybrid systems being run these days.

The reasons the Bills' offense is considered a West Coast Offense are twofold. The first is based on genealogy.

The Bills' present offensive coordinator Turk Schonert was the quarterback at Stanford. While at Stanford, Schonert played two of his years with Bill Walsh as his head coach before Walsh left for the 49ers. In addition, he was a longtime backup in Cincinnati where he was tutored by Sam Wyche. Wyche (who we're familiar with) is a Walsh disciple having been his Passing Game Coordinator for four years in San Francisco before taking the Cincinnati Head Coaching job. So the two most important influences in Schonert's career are Bill Walsh and Sam Wyche whose names are synonymous with West Coast Offense.

The second reason is the personnel groups used by the Bills. They use a two back offense with a true fullback and tight end in their base offense. In addition they use a short, control passing game and throw to their running backs frequently. These are characteristics of the West Coast Offense. The system the Bills run is however a hybrid. For instance, strictly speaking, West Coast Offenses don't employ the shotgun formation. Like most teams in obvious passing situations they go shotgun and spread the field with four wideouts. This is more of a Run and Shoot influence in today's game.

So in short, the Bills use a modified West Coast Offense.

It is a soft offense based around the talent of two soft players: center and tight end. While Robert Royal is ok, wasn't he brought in as a blocker? Buffalo needs a TE who can stretch the field. Trade for HEath Miller. And wasn't LeCharles Bentley available when Melvin Fowler was? Not that Melvin will ever get this but football IS NOT a soft sport. Man up and grow a pair.

Back to seriousness for a second, I agree with the post above that describes the Bills O as in essence a modified WCO based on the geneaology that led to Turk's O. I think an analysis which tries to figure out why it has problems comes down to questions of personnel.

The modified hybrid the Bills use seems to vary from the classic WCO in a couple of ways that this watched a lot of football but really un formally educated observer sees it:

1. The Bills realized that their OL did not cut it and tried to improve it by paying a high price for players they judged to be talented like Dockery and Walker but also have gone with a system that used the TE as 6th blocker primarily rather than as a pass receiving threat. This made sense in that the former OC (whats his name who now HCs in college) was given his final schooling in the St. Louis version of an offense which did not use the TE as a receiving threat but compensated for this with a ton of WR talent and Marshall Faulk.

The Bills acquired Royal seemingly with the idea that he was a very good blocker who could help the OL a lot and had more skills as a receiver than had been used in DC.

While this proved true to an extent and Royal did set career records in receptions and showed some nice toe-tapping skills sometimes, he really has never proved to be a consistent receiving threat. The Bills OL did block well with him as Lynch up over a 1000 and last year before things got disrupted by the Peters hold out, the year before was very good at pass protection (helped a lot by the quick release of Edwards and mobility of Losman.

Still overall the Bills hybrid which tries to make greater use of the TE as a receiver has left the Bills with inconsistent receiving help from Royal, the injured Fine and other back-ups. They either need much more talent at TE to make our current style work OR get more quality at TE and adopt a new style that makes things work with this player and his back-up.

FB- The Bills simply have lacked a good enough FB to make virtually any O that makes use of the FB work, They really should shift to a one back set or get a couple of better FBs.

2nd WR- they never have established a productive identity for the #2 WR. Hardy showed an initial flash of competence on an early TD pass on a fade throw, but though it is way too early to give up on him they never established how they were going to utilize him and he did not play well enough to demand the ball be thrown to him. Reed can be a very good #3 but really never established himself as a consistent #2. Parrish is also a very good #3 whose speed forces opponents to account for him and he has shown some great pluck over the middle than his size would indicate.

This team needs a difference maker at #2 WR.

Excellent post Dazed,

We run a west coast offense but instead of Brent Jones or Tony Scheffler for that matter (pass catching TE) we have Robert Royal (blocking TE) and instead of Tom Rathman (excellent receiving FB) we have...who do we have?

You're right, we're a few pieces away yet and it does make you wonder how well thought out it was to go to this offense without the requisite pieces. Hopefully this offseason that happens.

This team needs a difference maker at #2 WR.

I really hope the Bills agree with this, as I do.

Given the weakness of the receiving unit as a whole, they should draft a receiver again day 1.

===================================================

Reed is not a starter, he's more of a possesion guy, situational receiver.

Parrish probably isn't anything more than a punt returner. Gotta wonder what TD was thinking with that pick.

Hardy, well, he may or may not contribute this next year after coming back from injury, but even if he

comes back and develops, I don't think you can bank on him based on what we've seen so far.