What is the offensive system run by Buffalo?

San-O

reed is a good #2, just a different kind. he's like a bobby engram possession type receiver that people typically associate with slot receivers who are typically thought of as #3s. Reed however, produces like a #2, he had 56 catches and missed 4 games, if he had played he would have had like 70 catches and been our leading receiver; and we all know how trent plays when Reed is out. It was no coincidence that Reed's injury and Trent's slide into medioccrity or worse happeneedd at exactly the same time.

I'm not saying i'd be averse to WR help, especially a tall WR on the outside to be a red zone threat (what we thought Hardy was) to help out the offense but Reed is integral and needs to be on the field more often than not. Another dumb stat i came up with, and i know its pretty meaningless, but . . . our record when Reed and Trent our on the field together in the 4th quarter: 7-1 (the 1 was the last game of the year), without Trent/Reed 0-8. telling kind of.

My sense of the classic #2WR that the Bills want Hardy to become in not simply the possession guy we count on to run great routes to turn third and long into a first down but actually a player productive enough and a TD threat that he is good enough to demand a double team often.

Reed has become a good player who has reversed the bad case of the droppsies he experienced in his second year. However, no one mistakes Reed for a player who demands a dt even on the third and longs which should be his bread and butter.

The classic #2WR we want is a player who makes it very hard to dt Evans. Right now if I am a DC facing the Bills, my attitude is that they are not enough of a threat even to dictate what I do. Instead, I simply ask my CBs to cover both WRs straight-up and I have one of my safeties play centerfield cheating toward Evans side because if he beats my one-on-pne CB coverage he can go to the house.

Reed does not scare me at all as #2 because even though he may be good enough to beat my CB doing one on one, their QB needs to get him the ball (if it is Edwards he may do this but it is because he has a quick release and I am happy to give Reed a short pass and try to tackle him cause he will not beat me deep) and he likely will not make me pay for one-on-oning Reed. Schonert has not demonstrated to me at all that he can call good routes or make use of illegal moves teams often do of running pick plays that get them separation deep.

Hardy might be a handful because of his height on fade patterns in the endzone, but quite frankly the Bills are unlikely to drive the field except when they get desperate late in the game and tend to let Edwards go abit. They simply are not getting into the redzone much so I will deal with the Hardy difficulty when and if this happens,

Reed has demonstrated he has the talent to be a good #3 in his rookie year playing with a great #1 with Pro Bowler Moulds and a very good #2 in the 94 catch Peerless Price. However, Reed failed completely with a bad case of the droppsies when he got a chance to be #2 his second season.

He has rebuilt his game to make one confident of him now as a #3, but like it or not he still has not shown the good stuff to be more than an adequate #2 and quite frankly neither has Fairchild or Turk S. demonstrated an ability yet to design routes which give Reed the separation he would need to show off his RB chops even if he was good enough to demand the ball like a very good #2.

We need some help at WR.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic