Watching some old Bills highlights

seq004

In the Kelly years that team was an absolute machine. What does it take to get back there. I think Wilson was correct in saying their just isn't enough talent on this team (paraphrasing). I look at players on that Superbowl team and the nucleus was 1st rounders that got paid very well in that day like Kelly, when he signed in 1986 he was the highest paid player in the league. The trade made for Bennett in which he refused to sign with the Colts because of money he got in Buffalo...Bruce the 1st player overall in 1985, then we had some good second rounders with Thurman, Nate Odomes, Beebe. etc. There was also a 4th round gem in Reed but for the most part Wilson did something he seems unwilling to do now which is overpay. Not that he's cheap, I don't agree with that.

In the Kelly years that team was an absolute machine. What does it take to get back there. I think Wilson was correct in saying their just isn't enough talent on this team (paraphrasing). I look at players on that Superbowl team and the nucleus was 1st rounders that got paid very well in that day like Kelly, when he signed in 1986 he was the highest paid player in the league. The trade made for Bennett in which he refused to sign with the Colts because of money he got in Buffalo...Bruce the 1st player overall in 1985, then we had some good second rounders with Thurman, Nate Odomes, Beebe. etc. There was also a 4th round gem in Reed but for the most part Wilson did something he seems unwilling to do now which is overpay. Not that he's cheap, I don't agree with that.

Remeber that team was built back before there was a cap and teams could stockpile talent. The primary difference between that team and the modern day Bills is talent. Marv gets a lot of credit and I suppose he should. The O-lines on thjose teams were also markedly better.

Remeber that team was built back before there was a cap and teams could stockpile talent. The primary difference between that team and the modern day Bills is talent. Marv gets a lot of credit and I suppose he should. The O-lines on thjose teams were also markedly better.

You can stockpile talent now - plenty of teams have done it and kept a solid corps together for years. It's about not making team-destroying mistakes, and knowing when to pay a premium.

I can't wait until the salary cap goes away in a couple years so we can return to bygone glory. :rolleyes:

hire a real gm and a real scouting department as opposed to "beancounter" brandon and tom "endless vacation" modrak. a winning coach might help too. other words, it ain't happenin any time soon.

What does it take to get back there.

Leadership. Leadership has been missing since Kelly left. There has not been a take-charge guy like Kelly since he left. Also, remember how Thurman wrote "Super Bowl" on his shoes during training camp in 1990?! Where is that guy today? Who's the guy that dreams big? Whitner? Ha. He promised the playoffs and the team couldn't even make it. Thurman Thomas writes two simple words on his shoes and what happens -- they make it to the Super Bowl. It has to start with a goal, with a vision. That team really wanted to go to the Super Bowl. Today's teams just flounder. They have no leadership or direction. There's no guys stepping up to lead this team.

THe Bills need a footbal Gm like Bill Polian. The Colts are what the Bills USED to be. :thumbsup:

Exactly. I think it's less about the salary cap because as was pointed out, you can still build good teams with good talent evaluators, cap or no cap. The cap only means you can't keep as many players for as long.

Polian was brilliant because he was able to not waste draft picks whether they were in the first round or later. Every pick is an opportunity. The higher your "batting average" the better team you'll have, all things being equal.