Another tax cheat.

While it may speak well of the transparency of the process, it doesn't speak well of Obama's staff, who clearly should have known and corrected ALL of this BEFORE making all these particularly ill-advised selections.

It's funny. Libs spent countless weeks busting McCain's ass for not properly vetting Palin, and yet Obama makes appointment mistake after appointment mistake, and the process is considered successful. :wallbash::thumbsup:

Come on, now. Really?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF? Daschle owed 145K in taxes.

I am too honest by far. I should be sticking it to the man.

Do you do your own taxes or does somebody else?

That really is the thing. If I am well off and somebody else does them for me, the biggest mistake is just signing on the dotted line when your accountant says the "taxes are done."

See what I am getting at? Does anyone actually get "second opinions" on how "your expert" does their taxes? Everybody, regardless of affliation? The Dems are totally in the wrong just like the Repubs are.

My mother (God rest her soul) was an accountant and she would give me heart attacks on what was claimed and not claimed.

The bottom line is that you have to step-in and do what is right and know what is going on.

That really is the thing. If I am well off and somebody else does them for me, the biggest mistake is just signing on the dotted line when your accountant says the "taxes are done."

See what I am getting at? Does anyone actually get "second opinions" on how "your expert" does their taxes? Everybody, regardless of affliation? The Dems are totally in the wrong just like the Repubs are.

My mother (God rest her soul) was an accountant and she would give me heart attacks on what was claimed and not claimed.

The bottom line is that you have to step-in and do what is right and know what is going on.

I don't know about Dashle, but Geitner said he did his own and made a mistake missing several things in Turbotax.

So he's either a lying cheating bastard who got caught or dumb as a box of rocks. Either way do we really want him controlling money?

And where do you think accountants get the information to file your taxes? Out of thin air, or the information you provide to them in the first place?

I don't know about Dashle, but Geitner said he did his own and made a mistake missing several things in Turbotax.

So he's either a lying cheating bastard who got caught or dumb as a box of rocks. Either way do we really want him controlling money?

I'm not sympathetic to his problems, but he may have something. I do my own taxes - by hand in the past, but last year I used Turbotax for the first time because of some extra complexities with deductions. Guess what I discovered after I mailed in the returns? Turbotax had screwed up on the simplest part. It had overreported my salary income! It took a couple of properly inputted W-2 numbers and simply added them wrong. I've spent hours trying to figure out why, to no avail.

And where do you think accountants get the information to file your taxes? Out of thin air, or the information you provide to them in the first place?

I know that. The problems are always coming down to the "hired" help and how they claim them. Even the Repubs where having this problem.

What I am getting at... Something must be up with the accountants too thinking that they can get away with this stuff.

Really. Exactly how much time did people spend (on both sides of the aisle) giving McCain shiiitt after Troopergate?

Answer: a lot.

Isn't there about a 20 page Palin watch thread on here? Just with various stupid things people found out about her and her family that was started after the election. Knowing that she wouldn't be in national office, yet they kept going.

My wife is really screwed if I ever make a mistake... Heck, with computers... She doesn't even sign anymore.

I just say:

"It is all done."

I think she should question me and start WWIII.

Even in the old days, she just signed on the line. What a nice wife! :D

:w00t:<_<

So do you pay SS for all the hookers your hire?

I know that. The problems are always coming down to the "hired" help and how they claim them. Even the Repubs where having this problem.

What I am getting at... Something must be up with the accountants too thinking that they can get away with this stuff.

No, the problem is with the person instructing the hired help on what to do.

Here's probably what happened.

CPA: Mr. Daschle, Leo Hindery gives you a car & chauffer. How much of that is for personal use vs business use?

Daschle: Oh, I'd say 20% personal use and 80% business use

CPA: ok, I'll record 20% as personal income, and deduct the rest from your business.

Fast forward two years to cabinet nomination.

Senate Official: Mr. Daschle, Leo Hindery gives you a car & chauffer. How much of that is for personal use vs business use?

Senate Official: Really, because the other records you gave us contradict that?

Daschle: Oh, let me see. You know, you're right. It's more like 80% personal use and 20% business use

Senate Official: M'kay. Can we see your taxes.

Daschle: Let's hold off on that for a moment...

I hire someone to do my taxes but my life is simple. I make some money. I have a single home that I've lived in for 10 years. Most years I don't realize gains/losses. The most complicated items are a partial offset I get between the local and city taxes. (4.2% in Philly--NICE!)

No, the problem is with the person instructing the hired help on what to do.

Here's probably what happened.

CPA: Mr. Daschle, Leo Hindery gives you a car & chauffer. How much of that is for personal use vs business use?

CPA: ok, I'll record 20% as personal income, and deduct the rest from your business.

Fast forward two years to cabinet nomination.

Senate Official: Mr. Daschle, Leo Hindery gives you a car & chauffer. How much of that is for personal use vs business use?

Senate Official: Really, because the other records you gave us contradict that?

Daschle: Oh, let me see. You know, you're right. It's more like 80% personal use and 20% business use

Senate Official: M'kay. Can we see your taxes.

Daschle: Let's hold off on that for a moment...

I agree. It is just plain sloppiness and laziness.

Maybe it's time to do a complete check on the tax records of all the members of Congress, governors, and state legislatures then see who's clean enough to cast the first stone. I wonder how many would get caught up for such things as hired help and car services. It would be a good way to put unemployed accountants to work.

Maybe it's time to do a complete check on the tax records of all the members of Congress, governors, and state legislatures then see who's clean enough to cast the first stone. I wonder how many would get caught up for such things as hired help and car services. It would be a good way to put unemployed accountants to work.

I agree.

It should be law that all elected officials have to have an automatic audit and make it ALL public record. Also, no "pay to play of any kind"... Nothing. Not one gift, zero, nadda, nothing... Not even a Pepsi from a vending machine.

Agreed. I always thought people getting worked up over FICA taxes on the nanny was pretty stupid.

Of course if you are intentionally hiding hundreds of thousands in income from the IRS like Rangle or attempting to defraud the IRS out of more money than most Americans make in 3 years, like Daschle, you belong behind bars.

A tax bill of $130,000 means unreported income of what, $600,000?? 700,000??