Beef On Weck

jax bill backer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to stir any turds around here, but slightly OT:

I remember back when I still lived in WNY, there was a urban myth that purported that Beef on Weck was actually first made in Jimmytown? :wallbash:

Note, I'm not saying it's true, I'm just wondering if anyone really knows the origin of this sandwich and if in fact it does have any connection to the southern tier?

Not trying to stir any turds around here, but slightly OT:

I remember back when I still lived in WNY, there was a urban myth that purported that Beef on Weck was actually first made in Jimmytown? :w00t:

Note, I'm not saying it's true, I'm just wondering if anyone really knows the origin of this sandwich and if in fact it does have any connection to the southern tier?

Not according to the former Courier express:

Just before the start of the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo, NY, Joe Gohn (1862-1949) purchased a small saloon which he called the Delaware house, located at Delaware and Delavan Streets. The Delaware House was located on the northwest corner across the street from one of the exposition’s main entrances. He enlarged the house to offer hotel-style rooms for the exposition travelers. It was never called a hotel, but in order to have a whiskey license, he had to have ten bedrooms and provide sitting rooms for his customers.

According to family history, street trolleys loaded with people headed for the exposition were let off near the veranda of the John Gohn’s Delaware House. Since Joe had turned his house into a hotel and tavern to house and feed the hungry people, he decided that a roast beef sandwich and a cold beer would taste good to these travelers. Joe had a German baker working for him who was already making the rolls for the Delaware House. This baker, name unknown, suggested adding the caraway seeds and salt to the top of the rolls as they did in Germany. In Germany, this type of roll was called a kummelweck with nickname of weck. These sandwiches soon became very popular, and of course, the kummelweck helped to create extra thirsty patrons for selling a lot of beer.

The original Delaware House was purchased by the Standard Oil Company in 1931. It was later razed and a has a gas station on the site. Joe Gohn then purchased the building next door and converted it into a tavern, called Gohn’s Tavern. He continued serving his now famous Beef on Weck sandwiches. In later years, he sold the tavern and it became Meyer’s Tavern, which for many years continued selling the Beef on Weck sandwich with great popularity.

History

Not according to the former Courier express:

History

Thanks for the info! :w00t:

For the life of me, I can't remember where I heard that story about Jimmytown. Considering a majority of Jamestown's heritage is Italian and Swedish, and the weck roll is a German thing, it would stand to reason that Beef on Wecks weren't invented down in the southern reaches of WNY.

Edit: There's a place in Olean called the Beef and Barrel I think that had pretty decent Beef on Wecks

Thanks for the info! :w00t:

For the life of me, I can't remember where I heard that story about Jimmytown. Considering a majority of Jamestown's heritage is Italian and Swedish, and the weck roll is a German thing, it would stand to reason that Beef on Weck's weren't invented down in the southern reaches of WNY.

NP

After following this thread I am hungry for one ... Bills Backers group here found a bar in Fort Worth that has them ... about an hour drive for me so if the weather is nice (past weekend was fantastic) might just have to drop the top on the wifey's little convertible and get one this weekend. Hard to beat a weck and a beer. <_<

It's OK for "fast-food" beef-on-weck. But, I like my BOW much rarer.

One of the reasons, other than poverty, I had to opt for that pipe (which, if you had to, can be used as a regular pipe).

If I had the cash, and the ability to just stick a giant weed smoking device on the coffee table, I would get the Volcano or, perhaps, this:

http://www.vaporizergiant.com/extreme-vaporizer.html

I love the balloon option, for passing around.

We always said, "if you cough, you know you'll get off"...pretty much the same thing. Also, "here comes the train" was a popular quip when someone was in the middle of a coughing tirade.

Honestly, I think it's a cleaner high, lighter on the head, but a little more fun. It's also better on the weed conservation...a bud lasts longer.

Also, they say you can smoke/cook with the spent remains (which look almost like regular pot), but I toss mine. The remains still have a little THC left in them.

Mr urban sophisticate. Raw meat and dope. And I have to defend Alaska to you east coast liberals.

It could be worse someone could have mentioned Arby's.

Speaking of Arby's.........someone was trying to tell me that Arby's roast beef is actually brought in as some kind of a liquid form and that they do something to make it coagulate into a solid "roast" to slice. I dismissed this at first as some kind of urban legend story........but then got to thinking that it certainly doesn't look or taste like any kind of roast beef that I have ever had before. Can anyone confirm or deny this myth.

Who do you think has the best Beef on Weck in Buffalo

I am not from Buffalo, but I have a buddy that tells me that his favorite is Carson's Country Deli & Bakery 5668 Old Saunders Settlement Rd. (corner of Rt. 31 & Rt. 93) in Lockport.

Speaking of Arby's.........someone was trying to tell me that Arby's roast beef is actually brought in as some kind of a liquid form and that they do something to make it coagulate into a solid "roast" to slice. I dismissed this at first as some kind of urban legend story........but then got to thinking that it certainly doesn't look or taste like any kind of roast beef that I have ever had before. Can anyone confirm or deny this myth.

Not true, but I can see how one might think so:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/arbys.asp

I am fairly certain it is a "loaf" and not a true roast, though. It might be real beef, in the way that a chicken loaf is real chicken.