Mike Francesa on WFAN says Kelly does not...

...belong in the HOF along with Len Dawson. He stated Phil Simms was a better QB and should be in.

I know Mike is a Giant homer, but he is one of the more knowledgable sports radio hosts across the country.

I was a little dissappointed by that statement.

Simms probably does belong in the Hall. He was hamstrung by the Giants offense and a severe lack of top notch receiver talent but he was a great friggin' QB. His stats will never tell the story.

Francesa's not wrong on Simms but he's a typical NYC dick about Kelly.

...belong in the HOF along with Len Dawson. He stated Phil Simms was a better QB and should be in.

I know Mike is a Giant homer, but he is one of the more knowledgable sports radio hosts across the country.

Many of his statements should be taken with a huge grain of salt. He may be knowledgeable but he lets his friendships with players and officials color his opinions.

PTR

did he say what his reasoning was behind saying that?

his reasoning is that he's playing to a nyc audience and he needs to say things that get attention. the irony is if simms hadnt gotten hurt against bills the year they played in the super bowl, bills would have had a better chance of winning because hostetler played better than simms. so much so that parcells benched simms the next year and started hostetler.

someone ought to point that out to old mikey on air next time

:thumbdown:

How in the world is this important. Kelly is in the hall. That is the end of story. I'm sure there are a few thousand people throughout Miami who share his feelings, but does that affect you? Do you want everyone to think Kelly belongs in the hall?

I listen to him enough to know there's a 99% chance you're misquoting him.

He has said over and over again he's a harsher judge than most for the HOF.

He has also told Simms on his show that he wouldn't vote for him.

If Kelly were in the NFL now and lost 4 straight SB's, I'd agree with Francesa. But the NFL prior to free agency was very top heavy with DOMINANT teams that would toy with the flawed champions of more recent past. As a result, QB's were less able to take over games than they are today. Especially in a Super Bowl, where there was virtually no room for error. It's much easier nowadays for great players to get to and win a Super Bowl and subsequently get their due. In today's game, Kelly would have been somewhere between Roethlisberger and Manning in terms of QB performance, and like them, he'd very likely have a ring even though he didn't play as well as usual in his SB appearances.

As for Simms, I think he has rightfully not been inducted. I always felt he was a game managing, system QB and truth be told, it is forgotten that aside from their first SB season, they underachieved quite a bit in the 1980's and Simms play was a good deal to do with that. The 1990 season was vindication of sorts for Simms, but still, he didn't finish it. Had he finished it and the Giants lost to the Bills in the SB(as they had in the Meadowlands earlier in the season with Simms at the helm) then I don't think there would be much argument for him as a HOF QB. I think he gets credit for that win, which he does not deserve.

Simms was a good QB, but he was helped immensely by a great defense, running game, and Mark Bavarro, not to mention Parcells and Belichick. Had Jeff Hostetler not led the Giants to a SB win after he got hurt during the 1990 season, Simms probably would have been considered a HOF'er.

his reasoning is that he's playing to a nyc audience and he needs to say things that get attention. the irony is if simms hadnt gotten hurt against bills the year they played in the super bowl, bills would have had a better chance of winning because hostetler played better than simms. so much so that parcells benched simms the next year and started hostetler.

someone ought to point that out to old mikey on air next time

:thumbdown:

Parcells wasn't the Giants coach in 1991. Ray Handley was. Had Parcells stayed, it's highly unlikely that Simms wouldn't have been the starter.

People seem to forget that Kelly won 4 straight AFC Titles.......whos ever done that? Yeah he lost 4 straight SB's, but everyone always forgets he won 4 straight AFC titles. Thats a hell of an accomplishment. I would have loved to see one SB win from that ERA, but on the other hand im very proud of the team that won 4 straight AFC titles led by HOFer Jim Kelly.

Kelly is a first ballot hall of famer, who was the headline of the '02 class to boot. There's not much argument to be made here. It's not like he was marginal candidate sitting around for years thinking "maybe this will be the year..." This was an overwhelming choice by the electorate. We as diehard Bills fans may be inclined to be homers on occassion, but the HOF voting populus is not comprised of Bills fans, and they voted overwhelmingly to put #12 in hall.

Well boo hoo Mr. Francesca. Kelly IS in the HOF so phbbbbt. What a maroon.

I listen to him enough to know there's a 99% chance you're misquoting him.

He has said over and over again he's a harsher judge than most for the HOF.

He has also told Simms on his show that he wouldn't vote for him.

I didn't misquote him. He said Kelly does not belong in the HOF as well as Len Dawson,

He said Phil does and was the better QB. Almost a direct quote.

The only thing that set Jim kelly apart from the other QBS was his ability to call his own plays and 4 straight AFC champions helped his case as well. Im glad hes in the HALL and hes definately in the top 20 al time for QBS. BUt personally and im not trying to sound bias in anyway but Phill simms is nowhere near the QB Jim kelly was.

How in the world is this important. Kelly is in the hall. That is the end of story. I'm sure there are a few thousand people throughout Miami who share his feelings, but does that affect you? Do you want everyone to think Kelly belongs in the hall?

How in the world is anything posted on this board important? Why is your post important? It's not...I hate when people ask that. It's an "opinion" board. Anything can be posted. It's just a topic of discussion, nothing more, nothing less.

I didn't misquote him. He said Kelly does not belong in the HOF as well as Len Dawson,

He said Phil does and was the better QB. Almost a direct quote.

A little aggrivated so here is the brak down

Phill sims 14 years 2576-4647 55.4% 199 tds 157 ints 78.5 passer rating 2 pro bowls

Jim kelly 10 years 2874-4779 60.1 % 237 TDS 175 INT 84.4 passer rating 5 pro bowls

Is he stating because phill simms giants won two Superbowls and one of them was against the Bills in which he didnt play that hes a better QB. :wallbash:

A little aggrivated so here is the brak down

Phill sims 14 years 2576-4647 55.4% 199 tds 157 ints 78.5 passer rating 2 pro bowls

Jim kelly 10 years 2874-4779 60.1 % 237 TDS 175 INT 84.4 passer rating 5 pro bowls

Is he stating because phill simms giants won two Superbowls and one of them was against the Bills in which he didnt play that hes a better QB. :wallbash:

No, he didn't give credit to Phil for the second SB. He just thought he was a better QB. Personally, I saw phil play a lot--I thought he stunk for the better of half his career. Jimbo had bad games, but Phil had baaaad years!

I watched them both play throughout their careers. I just don't believe Simms is a HOF quarterback by ANY stretch of the imagination. I'm convinced Kelly is a HOF guy from his record, his getting to four superbowls and his pro career as a Houston Gambler or whatever he was before coming to Buffalo. I remember reading somewhere that his passing yards in the start up league were remarkable and should be considered part of his total yardage. Simms...hmm...that guy has a lot of nerve.