Patriots new hire

Don't ya like how other teams react if they lose a GM or scouting director,they replace them with another top quality guy.Unlike the Buffalo Bills that would prefer to NOT have a top NFL talent evaluator in a front office position. The Dolphins have VP Bill Parcells and now the Patriots have ex Titan GM Floyd Reese. You would think the Bills would have hired Reese or someone like him to fill that vacant GM position. The Bills get Jauron :thumbsup:

by:Adam Schefter

Reese happy to be back where he belongs

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter

Just over one week ago, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick met with ESPN analyst Floyd Reese.

Their meetings led to a multi-year contract that was signed Monday, making Reese the Patriots’ senior adviser, helping to fill the void that Scott Pioli created when he took the Chiefs general manager’s job.

Now Reese and his family are planning to move to Foxborough, Mass., so he can jump right into work with next month’s scouting combine and free agency approaching.

“The opportunities most of the time are in areas or with teams that are broken, unable to win, don’t have quarterbacks, don’t have backing, maybe have issues with stadiums or facilities, fan support, whatever it may be,” Reese said Tuesday. “This opportunity is so at the opposite end of the spectrum from all of that.

“This is indeed a thrill because none of those things are broken. They’re all in very good shape. It’s going to be my role to come in and help however I can.”

One of Reese’s jobs will be addressing the Matt Cassel situation. He is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent and New England is expected to slap its franchise tag on him.

Previously, Reese might have assessed the Patriots’ situation on ESPN. Now he will do it for Belichick.

“It will be interesting and I’m sure there will be a lot of discussion on it,” Reese said. “I’ve always been one of those who has said that if you think you have two quarterbacks you probably don’t have one.

“But this is a situation where having two quarterbacks may very well be true. That will be something that we’ll have to sit down and work out and I’m sure there will be a lot of discussion back and forth.”

Yet ultimately, Reese is happy to be off the air and back in the game.

“It’s interesting because working for ESPN, the ESPN people were very good to me,” Reese said. “But when you would get away with a former player or someone involved with the NFL, you’d say that the people [at ESPN] were very nice and that they treat you great, but then you would always finish with the line, ‘but, it’s not the NFL.’

“I’ve spent my entire adult life in the NFL. I started coaching in the NFL when I was 24. I have done everything and this is my life. If there’s anything I do know, it’s the NFL. The ability to get back and get back in this position is a thrill.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/27/reese-happ...ere-he-belongs/

Don't ya like how other teams react if they lose a GM or scouting director,they replace them with another top quality guy.Unlike the Buffalo Bills that would prefer to NOT have a top NFL talent evaluator in a front office position. The Dolphins have VP Bill Parcells and now the Patriots have ex Titan GM Floyd Reese. You would think the Bills would have hired Reese or someone like him to fill that vacant GM position. The Bills get Jauron :thumbsup:

by:Adam Schefter

Reese happy to be back where he belongs

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter

Just over one week ago, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick met with ESPN analyst Floyd Reese.

Their meetings led to a multi-year contract that was signed Monday, making Reese the Patriots’ senior adviser, helping to fill the void that Scott Pioli created when he took the Chiefs general manager’s job.

Now Reese and his family are planning to move to Foxborough, Mass., so he can jump right into work with next month’s scouting combine and free agency approaching.

“The opportunities most of the time are in areas or with teams that are broken, unable to win, don’t have quarterbacks, don’t have backing, maybe have issues with stadiums or facilities, fan support, whatever it may be,” Reese said Tuesday. “This opportunity is so at the opposite end of the spectrum from all of that.

“This is indeed a thrill because none of those things are broken. They’re all in very good shape. It’s going to be my role to come in and help however I can.”

One of Reese’s jobs will be addressing the Matt Cassel situation. He is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent and New England is expected to slap its franchise tag on him.

Previously, Reese might have assessed the Patriots’ situation on ESPN. Now he will do it for Belichick.

“It will be interesting and I’m sure there will be a lot of discussion on it,” Reese said. “I’ve always been one of those who has said that if you think you have two quarterbacks you probably don’t have one.

“But this is a situation where having two quarterbacks may very well be true. That will be something that we’ll have to sit down and work out and I’m sure there will be a lot of discussion back and forth.”

Yet ultimately, Reese is happy to be off the air and back in the game.

“It’s interesting because working for ESPN, the ESPN people were very good to me,” Reese said. “But when you would get away with a former player or someone involved with the NFL, you’d say that the people [at ESPN] were very nice and that they treat you great, but then you would always finish with the line, ‘but, it’s not the NFL.’

“I’ve spent my entire adult life in the NFL. I started coaching in the NFL when I was 24. I have done everything and this is my life. If there’s anything I do know, it’s the NFL. The ability to get back and get back in this position is a thrill.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/01/27/reese-happ...ere-he-belongs/

This is why they are a great organization. It is a good question to ponder why didn't the Bill's bring him on?

With news that Tom Brady is back onto the football field, dropping back and tossing passes, it seems as though one of the very first things new hire Reese will have to concern himself with is what to do with Matt Cassel.

This is what Reese had to say on the topic of Cassel's value back in mid January before he signed on with the Pats. Taken from

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

On what kind of trade proposal it would take to get Matt Cassel (from mid January):

It would have to be multiple choices and very high choices to get Cassel. Two first-rounders, or a one and a two and a three ... It'll be something very, very expensive.

It's definitely a seller's market. A team like New England can sit back and bide their time.

If you take the actual number of franchise quarterbacks in the NFL, there's maybe 15. Who's Detroit's starting quarterback? You can go down a long list. All of those teams would be in the bidding.

You don't have to be in a hurry. There's always teams out there in need of a quarterback, teams who'll think "We don't like this guy. We can't win with him."

Good luck getting even a 1st for Cassel, Floyd. And you gotta wonder why he was unemployed the past 2 seasons.

But at the very least, we can all agree that he's no Pioli.

With so many teams in need of a QB all it's gonna take is for a couple of them to start a bidding frenzy. I would guess that whichever teams are seriously considering Stafford and Sanchez would be the likely candidates to start the frenzy. I can't imagine any team preferring either Stafford or Sanchez over Cassel.

Pioli has never been a GM before so it's kinda unfair to Pioli to compare him to a GM who is as accomplished as Reese is.

With so many teams in need of a QB all it's gonna take is for a couple of them to start a bidding frenzy. I would guess that whichever teams are seriously considering Stafford and Sanchez would be the likely candidates to start the frenzy. I can't imagine any team preferring either Stafford or Sanchez over Cassel.

If he's franchised, his agent will be obligated to look for deals averaging at least the franchise tag tender of $14M a year. While teams want a QB, who would pay that much for an average-at-best one?

Pioli has never been a GM before so it's kinda unfair to Pioli to compare him to a GM who is as accomplished as Reese is.

I liken Reese to Donahoe. More or less irrelevant since the coach was so good.

If he's franchised, his agent will be obligated to look for deals averaging at least the franchise tag tender of $14M a year. While teams want a QB, who would pay that much for an average-at-best one?

Not sure how nor why you consider Cassel average at best? A seasoned and qualified GM such as Reese doesn't see it this way and nor do Cassel's stats this past season show him as average.

As for a team not wanting to pay Cassel franchise money ...... desperate QB needy teams draft QB's at the top of round one almost every draft and have no problems paying that QB mega dollars. And that's for a totally untested QB who is as likely to bust out than thrive. At least with Cassel you have a known commodity who has demonstrated that he can lead his team and produce at the NFL level.

Not sure how nor why you consider Cassel average at best? A seasoned and qualified GM such as Reese doesn't see it this way and nor do Cassel's stats this past season show him as average.

As for a team not wanting to pay Cassel franchise money ...... desperate QB needy teams draft QB's at the top of round one almost every draft and have no problems paying that QB mega dollars. And that's for a totally untested QB who is as likely to bust out than thrive. At least with Cassel you have a known commodity who has demonstrated that he can lead his team and produce at the NFL level.

An average QB with the same amount of time in the NFL (4 years, in the same system no less) could have put up the numbers Cassel did, with that supporting cast. Virtually the exact same offense last year (obviously with Brady) broke NFL records for scoring. And against a much harder schedule than this year's. It's not like he was a rookie or 2nd year player and took an average offense playing a hard schedule and did what he did.

But let's look at the stats. He had 5 games where he scored more than 2 TD's and none were against top defenses (all were ranked 15th or worse). When he did face a defense ranked 14th or better (5 times), he had 1 TD, 4 INT's, and 3 lost fumbles. Hardly the stuff of legends.

So you wouldn't call him average? What would you call him? A top-3 player, which is what he'll be tagged/paid as?

Why would Reese have said he's worth a ton? I don't know. Maybe for the same reason he was unemployed for the last 2 years.

But let me backtrack on what I said that no team will offer a 1st rounder for him. I don't underestimate the levels of stupidity of some GM's. I'm sure someone could be impressed that he threw for multiple TD's against the likes of the Broncos, Jets (once), Dols (one), Raiders, and Cardinals (across the country in frigid Mass when the Cards already wrapped-up the division), and added over 400 yards in the Jets and Dols game. But it will be a costly mistake, namely his (the GM's) job.

An average QB with the same amount of time in the NFL (4 years, in the same system no less) could have put up the numbers Cassel did, with that supporting cast. Virtually the exact same offense last year (obviously with Brady) broke NFL records for scoring. And against a much harder schedule than this year's. It's not like he was a rookie or 2nd year player and took an average offense playing a hard schedule and did what he did.

But let's look at the stats. He had 5 games where he scored more than 2 TD's and none were against top defenses (all were ranked 15th or worse). When he did face a defense ranked 14th or better (5 times), he had 1 TD, 4 INT's, and 3 lost fumbles. Hardly the stuff of legends.

So you wouldn't call him average? What would you call him? A top-3 player, which is what he'll be tagged/paid as?

Why would Reese have said he's worth a ton? I don't know. Maybe for the same reason he was unemployed for the last 2 years.

But let me backtrack on what I said that no team will offer a 1st rounder for him. I don't underestimate the levels of stupidity of some GM's. I'm sure someone could be impressed that he threw for multiple TD's against the likes of the Broncos, Jets (once), Dols (one), Raiders, and Cardinals (across the country in frigid Mass when the Cards already wrapped-up the division), and added over 400 yards in the Jets and Dols game. But it will be a costly mistake, namely his (the GM's) job.

Here are the stat lines of two young and impressive first time NFL starters last year.

Stats Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate

QB1 265 434 61.1 27.1 3,440 7.9 215.0 16 11 157 36.2 70T 45 9 17 87.7

QB2 327 516 63.4 32.2 3,693 7.2 230.8 21 11 182 35.3 76T 37 6 47 89.4

The QB1 line belongs to the NFL's rookie of the year. A QB that every QB needy team in the NFL would thankfully give up their next 2 or 3 first round picks for if given the opportunity.

The QB2 line belongs to the QB who, until he was thrust into action in game 1 of last year, had not taken a starting snap in a football game since he was in high school.

Answer this for me if you would. Would you call QB1 - Matt Ryan - an average QB? Think about your answer with the knowledge that QB2 - Matt Cassel - had better/comparable stats than Ryan did last year. And then asked yourself how hot a commodity do you think a Matt Ryan type player would be if he were available this offseason!

Further, on the subject of value. Cassel's value exists at the intersection of the two most horrifying financial realities of the NFL game. One is that your entire annual investment in a team and a coaching staff is useless without a good quarterback. The other is that the easiest way to cripple a franchise for five or six years is to make a massive investment in a young quarterback who can't play and doesn't pan out. Look no further than this franchise since Jimbo retired and the countless scores of other NFL franchises that have toiled in mediocrity because they haven't been able to find even a competent starting QB.

A good young quarterback just entering his prime is the most valuable commodity there is in this sport. Even going beyond the on-the-field value, a guy like Cassel who has proven that he can be a leader in the locker room and handle the enormous public relations responsibilities inherent in the job is an invaluable commodity.

Now tell me if you are team desperate for such a player what QB are you going to pin your franchises hopes on? One of the old, recycled QB's that will become available, a college junior who's being compared to Matt Hasselbeck and who's staring at being the 1st overall pick come April, or the guy who posted better QB stats than the leagues rookie of the year did ?

I worked with Matt Cassel's mom on the show Double Shot of Coach Luvin' and she said Matt's agent was considering a big offer from the Argos. I drive a '55 Ford Fairlane with fuzzy dice on the rearview mirror.

That seals the deal for me

Here are the stat lines of two young and impressive first time NFL starters last year.

The QB1 line belongs to the NFL's rookie of the year. A QB that every QB needy team in the NFL would thankfully give up their next 2 or 3 first round picks for if given the opportunity.

The QB2 line belongs to the QB who, until he was thrust into action in game 1 of last year, had not taken a starting snap in a football game since he was in high school.

Answer this for me if you would. Would you call QB1 - Matt Ryan - an average QB? Think about your answer with the knowledge that QB2 - Matt Cassel - had better/comparable stats than Ryan did last year. And then asked yourself how hot a commodity do you think a Matt Ryan type player would be if he were available this offseason!

Further, on the subject of value. Cassel's value exists at the intersection of the two most horrifying financial realities of the NFL game. One is that your entire annual investment in a team and a coaching staff is useless without a good quarterback. The other is that the easiest way to cripple a franchise for five or six years is to make a massive investment in a young quarterback who can't play and doesn't pan out. Look no further than this franchise since Jimbo retired and the countless scores of other NFL franchises that have toiled in mediocrity because they haven't been able to find even a competent starting QB.

A good young quarterback just entering his prime is the most valuable commodity there is in this sport. Even going beyond the on-the-field value, a guy like Cassel who has proven that he can be a leader in the locker room and handle the enormous public relations responsibilities inherent in the job is an invaluable commodity.

Now tell me if you are team desperate for such a player what QB are you going to pin your franchises hopes on? One of the old, recycled QB's that will become available, a college junior who's being compared to Matt Hasselbeck and who's staring at being the 1st overall pick come April, or the guy who posted better QB stats than the leagues rookie of the year did ?

Case closed prosecutor and I'm being serious. The guy proved he is a starter in the NFL and with experience can only improve.

personally I think Reese is an idiot - but only from watching him on ESPN. I'm sure he'll do fine in NE for a few seasons seeing as he only needs to hang on to the talent they already have. He'll probably retire before NE has to worry about replacing Brady, Moss, Welker, Seymour, or Wilfork.

Yes, lets compare stats between Ryan and Cassel. I guess we live in the make believe world where newengland* and Atlanta are similar franchises and each QB has the same great supporting cast. :lol:

As for cassel, lets see them franchise him. Because as soon as he signs the tender, they're on the hook paying him 14 million. At that point he becomes untradeable.

Yes, lets compare stats between Ryan and Cassel. I guess we live in the make believe world where newengland* and Atlanta are similar franchises and each QB has the same great supporting cast. :lol:

Atlanta was able to provide Ryan with not only one of the best rushing attacks in the league but also with an OL that barely let the opposition lay their hands on him. I wouldn't exactly say that Ryan was without competant supporting players on offense.

As for cassel, lets see them franchise him. Because as soon as he signs the tender, they're on the hook paying him 14 million. At that point he becomes untradeable.

You have it backwards.

The second Cassel signs his tender he's under contract to the Pats and they can do whatever they wish with him.

It's when Cassel isn't under contract to them (ie when he hasn't signed the tag tender) that they can't trade him. They can, however, choose not to match an offer some team might give to Cassel, and receive two 1st rounds picks as compensation.

By all accounts the Pats have more than enough money to absorb the tag amount into their salary cap structure so that's not a problem for them.