Marvin Philip

I really like this guy. I think it is a pretty nice addition. I mentioned in another thread that I read about him coming out of College in a draft magazine. What I read was quite good reviews. I remember he was rated as one of the top Centers in the draft behind Mangold, Eslinger and Chester. He was projected as a 3rd-4th rounder.

His measurements:

Height: 6'3

Weight: 307lbs

40-Yard: 5.24 / 20-Yard: 3.04 / 10-Yard: 1.78

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.70 / 3-Cone Drill: 7.59

225lb Bench Press: 27 reps.

Vertical Jump: 27 inches. / Broad Jump: 8'00"

I did my homework on the guy though...I am sure he IS just camp-fodder, but I see potential. I think he could be a very good player, after some work with the right Offensive Line Coach. (Which we DON'T seem to have)

Marvin Philip

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/m...p_marvin00.html

Not bad stuff...I like what I read about the dude. (Here is my paraphrasing of what is said about him)

- He was a College Freshman in '00, left on a Mormon Mission from '01-'03, came back in '04, and graduated in '05.

A Few Highlights:

-2x All Pac-10 @ Center.

-'04 and '05 Finalist for the Rimington Award. (College's Best Center)

2005:

- Named Cal Golden Bears' Captain.

- Started every game for Cal @ Center as a Senior.

- 1st on team in Pancakes, 2nd on team in Knockdowns.

- Preaseaon watch for the Outland Trophy. (College's Best Lineman)

- Rated/Ranked as The Sporting News' Best/Top Center in the Nation.

- Voted Cal's Most Valuable Offensive Player.

- Received Joe Roth Award for Courage, Attitude and Sportsmanship.

2004:

- Started every game for Cal @ Center...team led Pac-10 in YPG.

- Voted as a 2nd Team Associated Press All-American.

- Received Cal's Brick Muller Award as the team's Best Offensive Lineman.

2003:

- Philip missed Cal's first 9 games after returning from his Mormon mission. He gained 30 pounds to get back to playing weight, regained his starting job as the team's Center. Then, get this...after missing the first 9 games of the season, he still LED THE TEAM in Pancakes and Knockdowns that year.

- Received Cal's Bob Tessier Award as the team's Most Improved Lineman.

2000:

- Philip started "several" games as a TRUE FRESHMAN (holding his own against teams such as USC and Arizona St.). He then sprained his knee and missed some games, before returning late in the season.

I did my homework on the guy though...I am sure he IS just camp-fodder, but I see potential. I think he could be a very good player, after some work with the right Offensive Line Coach. (Which we DON'T seem to have)

Good points. Good to see the Bills be a bit proactive since we may lose both of our current centers. At best we can hope for him to stick around as a backup or practice squad.

Coaching is another good point. I would bring in Joe DeLamielleure as a consultant. I love listening to him talk about lineman as it seems he can spot potential just by looking at someone.

Good points. Good to see the Bills be a bit proactive since we may lose both of our current centers. At best we can hope for him to stick around as a backup or practice squad.

Coaching is another good point. I would bring in Joe DeLamielleure as a consultant. I love listening to him talk about lineman as it seems he can spot potential just by looking at someone.

its a low risk move, if he works out and adds depth then the Front Office looks like geniuses. If not oh well, no harm, no money lost. at least they are being a little proactive.

I really like this guy. I think it is a pretty nice addition. I mentioned in another thread that I read about him coming out of College in a draft magazine. What I read was quite good reviews. I remember he was rated as one of the top Centers in the draft behind Mangold, Eslinger and Chester. He was projected as a 3rd-4th rounder.

His measurements:

Height: 6'3

Weight: 307lbs

40-Yard: 5.24 / 20-Yard: 3.04 / 10-Yard: 1.78

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.70 / 3-Cone Drill: 7.59

225lb Bench Press: 27 reps.

Vertical Jump: 27 inches. / Broad Jump: 8'00"

Marvin Philip

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/m...p_marvin00.html

Not bad stuff...I like what I read about the dude. (Here is my paraphrasing of what is said about him)

- He was a College Freshman in '00, left on a Mormon Mission from '01-'03, came back in '04, and graduated in '05.

A Few Highlights:

-2x All Pac-10 @ Center.

-'04 and '05 Finalist for the Rimington Award. (College's Best Center)

2005:

- Named Cal Golden Bears' Captain.

- Started every game for Cal @ Center as a Senior.

- 1st on team in Pancakes, 2nd on team in Knockdowns.

- Preaseaon watch for the Outland Trophy. (College's Best Lineman)

- Rated/Ranked as The Sporting News' Best/Top Center in the Nation.

- Voted Cal's Most Valuable Offensive Player.

- Received Joe Roth Award for Courage, Attitude and Sportsmanship.

2004:

- Started every game for Cal @ Center...team led Pac-10 in YPG.

- Voted as a 2nd Team Associated Press All-American.

- Received Cal's Brick Muller Award as the team's Best Offensive Lineman.

2003:

- Philip missed Cal's first 9 games after returning from his Mormon mission. He gained 30 pounds to get back to playing weight, regained his starting job as the team's Center. Then, get this...after missing the first 9 games of the season, he still LED THE TEAM in Pancakes and Knockdowns that year.

- Received Cal's Bob Tessier Award as the team's Most Improved Lineman.

2000:

- Philip started "several" games as a TRUE FRESHMAN (holding his own against teams such as USC and Arizona St.). He then sprained his knee and missed some games, before returning late in the season.

Is that Marvin Philip or Junior Seau?!?!