Remember the AFL

major

It looks fantastic! :rolleyes:

One of the most treasured memories of my youth!

KRC, any input here? I see Jeff Miller's book here.

While the site may have good info, Angelo really has no credibility. He is so biased towards the AFL that if someone does not bow down to the altar of the AFL, he will tear them apart and try to discredit them.

To give you an idea of some of his lahjik, he has Paul Brown in both the AFL Hall of Fame and the AFL Hall of Infamy. :blink: He then says that Paul Brown is the AFL HOF under protest. again, :bag: He is the one that runs it. How the hell can he protest the people he puts into it? :rolleyes:

He also has the PFRA as the second induction into the Hall of Infamy. Why? Because we didn't bow down to the altar of the AFL. Second place? SECOND place? Why the hell aren't we in first place? :(

I give him credit for wanting to preserve the history of the AFL. The way he goes about it, however, hurts his case and in the long run will do more damage to the memory of the AFL than anything else. I would be wary of anything that he writes.

As far as Jeff Miller, I know Jeff. He has written two fantastic books on pro football in Buffalo and is a very respected historian.

While the site may have good info, Angelo really has no credibility. He is so biased towards the AFL that if someone does not bow down to the altar of the AFL, he will tear them apart and try to discredit them.

To give you an idea of some of his lahjik, he has Paul Brown in both the AFL Hall of Fame and the AFL Hall of Infamy. :blink: He then says that Paul Brown is the AFL HOF under protest. again, :bag: He is the one that runs it. How the hell can he protest the people he puts into it? :rolleyes:

He also has the PFRA as the second induction into the Hall of Infamy. Why? Because we didn't bow down to the altar of the AFL. Second place? SECOND place? Why the hell aren't we in first place? :( I give him credit for wanting to preserve the history of the AFL. The way he goes about it, however, hurts his case and in the long run will do more damage to the memory of the AFL than anything else. I would be wary of anything that he writes.

As far as Jeff Miller, I know Jeff. He has written two fantastic books on pro football in Buffalo and is a very respected historian.

I ask myself that all the time.. :rolleyes:

Wow! Thanks for the insight. I had no idea.

I ask myself that all the time.. :(

We need to start an online petition to get that resolved.

Wow! Thanks for the insight. I had no idea.

I have, unfortunately, had the "pleasure" of dealing with him on the PFRA forum. It was ugly. He was pretty much discredited by every historian there due to his bias.

To give you an idea of some of his lahjik, he has Paul Brown in both the AFL Hall of Fame and the AFL Hall of Infamy. :rolleyes: He then says that Paul Brown is the AFL HOF under protest. again, :blink: He is the one that runs it. How the hell can he protest the people he puts into it? :rolleyes:

He also has the PFRA as the second induction into the Hall of Infamy. Why? Because we didn't bow down to the altar of the AFL. Second place? SECOND place? Why the hell aren't we in first place? :(

I give him credit for wanting to preserve the history of the AFL. The way he goes about it, however, hurts his case and in the long run will do more damage to the memory of the AFL than anything else. I would be wary of anything that he writes.

Ken, I consider the AFL Superbowl Chiefs to be one of the top 3 or 4 defenses in either league since Superbowl I.

Any opinion on this?

Ken, I consider the AFL Superbowl Chiefs to be one of the top 3 or 4 defenses in either league since Superbowl I.

Any opinion on this?

I would have to go through and try to rank the defenses, but I think I can come up with more than three that were better. They may be top ten, but I am not sure about top five. Don't get me wrong. The Chiefs defense that year was pretty good. Except in the AFL Championship Game, the Buffalo Bills still had a decent defense that year (not to the 1964 or 1965 level, but still pretty good). I think what helped the Chiefs' defense that year was a potent offense. It is much easier to play better when you know the opponent needs to throw the ball to catch up.

I would have to go through and try to rank the defenses, but I think I can come up with more than three that were better. They may be top ten, but I am not sure about top five. Don't get me wrong. The Chiefs defense that year was pretty good. Except in the AFL Championship Game, the Buffalo Bills still had a decent defense that year (not to the 1964 or 1965 level, but still pretty good). I think what helped the Chiefs' defense that year was a potent offense. It is much easier to play better when you know the opponent needs to throw the ball to catch up.

I view the offense as rather pedestrian when compared to the raiders and jets.

Dawson was great, but lots of posters today would complain about his "arm strength." :( They had a huge array of backs, but none were stars. Fred Arbanas was primarily a blocker as a TE. At wideout, Otis Taylor was a true superstar. Of course, their OL was superb.

Defense was another story. The DL consisted of Aaron Brown, Curley Culp, Buck Buchannon, and Jerry Mays. Four very talented players. The LBs were as good as any. Jim Lynch and Bobby Bell on the outside; Willie Lanier in the middle. The secondary, while less star studded, did boast of Emmit Thomas and John Robinson, who I think belongs in the HOF.

Either way, Lanier, Buchannon and Bell are in the HOF, and this was one fierce defense, and they were even big for their time.

Btw, thanks. it is great talking about this stuff. :rolleyes:

Btw, thanks. it is great talking about this stuff. :(

I'll talk about it anytime you want.

As far as the other comments, I am not disparaging the Chiefs defense of '66. With the HOFers and and should-be-HOFers, they can definitely make a case. While the offense may not have had as many name players as the defense, they were still efficient and could get it done.

As far as many posters complaining about Dawson's arm strength, many posters are idjits. That pretty much explains the level of discourse and why I don't waste my time in the bulk of the football threads. :rolleyes:

I'll talk about it anytime you want.

As far as the other comments, I am not disparaging the Chiefs defense of '66. With the HOFers and and should-be-HOFers, they can definitely make a case. While the offense may not have had as many name players as the defense, they were still efficient and could get it done.

As far as many posters complaining about Dawson's arm strength, many posters are idjits. That pretty much explains the level of discourse and why I don't waste my time in the bulk of the football threads. :(

I think he's talking about the 1969 Chiefs defense. Top five at least. They destroyed Joe Kapp and the Vikings that day.

Not trying to take away from the super Bowl of today, but having the two different league really made for great Super Bowls. The two leagues hated each other and it showed on and off the field. Having lived through those times, I still wish the AFL was around and that the Bills would have won that first day of January 1967 and played in the first Super bowl. Also to think if the the two leagues would have played just a couple of years earlier, I feel the Bills of 64 or 65 could have won the Super Bowl one of those years.

That's the one! :(

My bad. I thought you meant the first AFL Super Bowl Chiefs from '66. :rolleyes:

Yes, the '69 Chiefs had a better defense and was one of the ones I thought of ahead of the '66 team. Possibly top five. I would have to go through every year to make sure, though.

It was the Chiefs offense that was strong I was at the championship game.

"In the American Football League, a predominantly offensive league, the Buffalo Bills were a great defensive team. With a linebacking corps of Harry Jacobs, Mike Stratton, and John Tracey; and defensive line stalwarts like Tom Day, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway, and Ron McDole, the Bills defense did not allow a rushing touchdown for seventeen straight games over a period of the 1964 and 1965 seasons. Their pass defense was just as good as their run defense, registering fifty quarterback sacks in 1964, still a team record, although it was established in a 14-game season.

The Bills won AFL championships in both of those seasons. They were the first American Football League team to win 13 games in a season (1964); were one of only three teams to appear in an AFL championship game for three successive years; and the only AFL team to apear in the playoffs four straight years, 1963 through 1966. Balancing their defensive prowess, the Bills had offensive muscle as well, in stars such as running backs Cookie Gilchrist and Wray Carlton, quarterbacks Jack Kemp and Daryle Lamonica, and receivers Elbert Dubenion and Ernie Warlick."

The best part was that these were truly our guys. They were Bills. It was nothing like today with every man out for the highest dollar.

I view the offense as rather pedestrian when compared to the raiders and jets.

Dawson was great, but lots of posters today would complain about his "arm strength." :blink: They had a huge array of backs, but none were stars. Fred Arbanas was primarily a blocker as a TE. At wideout, Otis Taylor was a true superstar. Of course, their OL was superb.

Defense was another story. The DL consisted of Aaron Brown, Curley Culp, Buck Buchannon, and Jerry Mays. Four very talented players. The LBs were as good as any. Jim Lynch and Bobby Bell on the outside; Willie Lanier in the middle. The secondary, while less star studded, did boast of Emmit Thomas and John Robinson, who I think belongs in the HOF.

Either way, Lanier, Buchannon and Bell are in the HOF, and this was one fierce defense, and they were even big for their time.

Btw, thanks. it is great talking about this stuff. :D

I believe that Arbanas was blind in one eye.

It was the Chiefs offense that was strong I was at the championship game.

"In the American Football League, a predominantly offensive league, the Buffalo Bills were a great defensive team. With a linebacking corps of Harry Jacobs, Mike Stratton, and John Tracey; and defensive line stalwarts like Tom Day, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway, and Ron McDole, the Bills defense did not allow a rushing touchdown for seventeen straight games over a period of the 1964 and 1965 seasons. Their pass defense was just as good as their run defense, registering fifty quarterback sacks in 1964, still a team record, although it was established in a 14-game season.

The Bills won AFL championships in both of those seasons. They were the first American Football League team to win 13 games in a season (1964); were one of only three teams to appear in an AFL championship game for three successive years; and the only AFL team to apear in the playoffs four straight years, 1963 through 1966. Balancing their defensive prowess, the Bills had offensive muscle as well, in stars such as running backs Cookie Gilchrist and Wray Carlton, quarterbacks Jack Kemp and Daryle Lamonica, and receivers Elbert Dubenion and Ernie Warlick."

The best part was that these were truly our guys. They were Bills. It was nothing like today with every man out for the highest dollar.

Yeah I don't think to many of those hardcases worryed much about "not enough night clubs in Buffalo" Just reading those names makes me pissed about the party punks I see today.