Trading Down?

You are arguing with the wrong poster...I made no comments about the Rams quality of drafts...

Point I am making is that just becauase something doesnt happen does not mean it wasnt attempted. And just because the media says something doesnt mean its true as it is wrong as much as it is right...

Sorry dude. We're on the same page. I just get a little cranky sometimes. Let's go Bills.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is more and more teams want to trade down not up. This is because of the cost of untried rookies. Successful teams try to acquire more picks in the draft because they know that some of the players will never pan out in the NFL. Many teams consider that after the top 10 players the rest of the the first round, players are at the same level and can be picked anywhere from 11 to 32. This is why the FO has to have a good idea on who the top players are and where can you get them. This is why multiple picks are desirable, if you miss on one then maybe the others will work out. This is also where the FO has to know who is a good second tier prospect

Oh the irony. You spent almost 3 years talking how McCargo was the right player.

Nobody is writing him off. He's a good young player. Was that a good trade on draft day? Absolutely not. The Bills surrendered a high 3rd round pick to move up 9 spots in the 2nd round which is way too steep a price to pay. Making matters worse, David Harris was still on the board, making it highly likely that one of them would have fallen to the Bills when they selected. Surrendering draft picks to get "their guy" is not a good strategy, particularly when you're not a contender.

That's funny, the draft was rich with Bills needs in 2006 and they traded up for McCargo. Rumor has it the Bills tried to trade back into the first round last year in hopes of landing Devin Thomas. Thank goodness they couldn't find a trading partner.

First, haven't ever heard that rumor.

Second, yeah, thank goodness. Because Hardy shows so much more than Thomas.