The potential downsides of a Peters trade

If the Bills were offered two 1st round picks they would be retarded to not take it.

Look back across the history of the NFL - especially in the modern era - how many trades have been made for two first round picks? What teams are likely to make this trade? Also where in the round do you get these picks? are they likely to be in the same year? What is the percentage of time that first round picks go bust? What are the odds, even if you do manage to get two first rounders, that both of your picks go bust?

Also, who backfills for Peters once you trade him? Have you looked to see who might be available in FA?

Have you thought through any of these questions?

Think the issue through with a bit of analysis and not just your emotions.

I don't know how we got to the point where people decided it would be easier to find a new franchise LT than to fix the problems with Peters.

Yes you do. :blink: Aren't you the one who pointed out that many Bills Fans cling to bitterness as a defense mechanism? If not, please excuse me, but that was one poingnant statement.

If I might add something.....every season right about now, people see players such Fitzgerald make great plays, and decide that this is why the Bills are losing. They think that another skill player or 2 will push us over the top. Then, draft day rolls around and we dedicate said draft to defensive backs. Posters will then defend Dick Levy, telling us that the players drafted are "good."

Next, the season starts and we are so weak on the lines that these "good" defensive backs make no difference, and we promptly suck, as if on cue.

Now, who gets the blame? Who do some posters hate? Jason Peters for being a great LT and wanting to be paid as such, that's who. ;)

Btw, I am not knocking these fans. I suppose we all have different defense mechanisms to cope with this inept front office.

Btw, I am not knocking these fans. I suppose we all have different defense mechanisms to cope with this inept front office.

LOL... given that my wife has nicely pointed out that after I crossed the age of 40 line that beer generally just goes to fat, I guess I will need to turn to self mutilation to cope. Perhaps giving up reading TSW posts might be a healthier alternative.

who plays at a pro bowl level and is entering his prime.

This trade talk is beyond retarded. Please tell me the last time a team traded a pro bowl LT and got better? Just pay the man and have him ready for OTAs.

You hit the nail on the head. Peters had a bad year because of the hold out. If he holds out again, he will have another bad year. If the Bills are smart they will PAY him & have him ready for OTAs as you said.

You hit the nail on the head. Peters had a bad year because of the hold out. If he holds out again, he will have another bad year. If the Bills are smart they will PAY him & have him ready for OTAs as you said.

The problem with PAY THE MAN is that you could and 1-2 years later you are back in the same bind where he is holding out. There is no assurance that once you pay him that he will be here. In fact he has already demonstrated that he won't be

The problem with PAY THE MAN is that you could and 1-2 years later you are back in the same bind where he is holding out. There is no assurance that once you pay him that he will be here. In fact he has already demonstrated that he won't be

Let's be clear of Peters' time-line in Buffalo. He signed as an UDFA in 04 and was starting at RT in 2005. Buffalo wisely signed him to a 5 yr extension for approximately 15M before 2006 began. The Bills made a wise move, but then switched him to play the most demanding position, LOT, on the OL in mid 06. Peters responded by having a fine 2007 season which gained him a legit Pro Bowl nod.

Walter Jones didn't hold out 2-3 years into his big deal. Orlando Pace wasn't a problem at the point in his career that Peters has reached. But hoping that Peters would play for 3M per for 5 seasons is beyond stupid. Especially considering Buffalo moved him to LOT at the beginning of the contract. For the record, Peters played 1.5 seasons quite well at LOT. I know if I was promoted, did well, and 18 months later hadn't received a raise, I'd be ticked as well.

If Peters holds out in the middle of, let's say, 6 year 54M deal, then he's an idiot. If Buffalo doesn't want to re-sign him to a mega deal like they did Schobel, it's because they're too cheap or ignorant to admit they have a great talent at LOT.

Wasn't he pulled out or benched during a game or two, and didn't he take himself out a couple times?

I imagine he'll probably pull the same crap again this season, then have a great "contract year" season

when it's worth ot for him.

Not really sticking my neck out on this one either.

Also, the O-line seemed just fine when he was out. He gave up some BRUTAL sacks this year, like a lot,

and this has also been documented here.

Let's be clear of Peters' time-line in Buffalo. He signed as an UDFA in 04 and was starting at RT in 2005. Buffalo wisely signed him to a 5 yr extension for approximately 15M before 2006 began. The Bills made a wise move, but then switched him to play the most demanding position, LOT, on the OL in mid 06. Peters responded by having a fine 2007 season which gained him a legit Pro Bowl nod.

Walter Jones didn't hold out 2-3 years into his big deal. Orlando Pace wasn't a problem at the point in his career that Peters has reached. But hoping that Peters would play for 3M per for 5 seasons is beyond stupid. Especially considering Buffalo moved him to LOT at the beginning of the contract. For the record, Peters played 1.5 seasons quite well at LOT. I know if I was promoted, did well, and 18 months later hadn't received a raise, I'd be ticked as well.

If Peters holds out in the middle of, let's say, 6 year 54M deal, then he's an idiot. If Buffalo doesn't want to re-sign him to a mega deal like they did Schobel, it's because they're too cheap or ignorant to admit they have a great talent at LOT.

Yeah I know all that and it is a legit argument. Let me ask this, do you really believe if you sign him to a long term contract that he will honor the length of the contract? I don't

Over the entire 16 game season, Chambers or Walker would break down trying to contain outside speed rushers by themselves. Neither have the physical attributes to contain DE's and resemble turnstiles when it matters most.

Peters - 11.5 sacks over 13 games. Yeah, where else can you find production like that.

http://www.sports-boards.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153319

LAST IN THE LEAGUE!!!

Nice, sign him to a long term deal now.

Forget about the "professional" assessments of the OL experts on TSW.

No one knows for sure how Peters would do on another team. If someone claims they do simply laugh and ignore this post.

The simple fact is this:

Peters is acting like a child in dealing with the Bills.

However, if upon being traded if he happens to give up on childish things (this may happen and it may not so who cares what us dimestore psychologists predict) and becomes the anchor of his new OL for years to come.

Whoever engineers the trade for the Bills will simply go down in football history as the idiot who traded away a franchise LT with two Pro Bowls to his credit (regardless of whether they were deserved or not) for a 1st, less or even if it is slightly more this GM will be known as the guy who got smoked by some other GM.

The downside (whether it actually happens or not, one would have to argue that these events which no one can predict will not happen.

Some folks may be so tired of what they see as Peters antics they would simply be happy to see him gone for a couple of draft picks.

This is easy for a fan to do, but the down side risk is too high unless the GM has tremendous cojones.

Nobody I have seen is accusing Brandon or any of the Bills braintrust of demonstrating this.

If someone wants to make a convincing argument that the Bills will trade Peters they do not have to try to prove something about him as a player. Instead they would need to argue effectively that the Bills have the grombas to make this move.

he is not acting like a child he just has an as-hole agent . he is ridiculously underpaid and the bills need to get him signed to a fair market deal.

all the people talking about trading a 26 year old all pro LT are totally clueless because its not going to happen.

I don't know how we got to the point where people decided it would be easier to find a new franchise LT than to fix the problems with Peters.

I guess for some of us it might have been right around the point where he came in after his ill advised lengthy

hold out and proceeded to stink the joint up.

I guess for some of us it might have been right around the point where he came in after his ill advised lengthy

hold out and proceeded to stink the joint up.

That would be my guess also.

The problem with Peters is between his ears: how do you fix that?

Yeah I know all that and it is a legit argument. Let me ask this, do you really believe if you sign him to a long term contract that he will honor the length of the contract? I don't

His objective is a long term agreement. If he receives a deal close to what elite LOT's make, he'd better not make the mistake of holding out again. Bills fans patience is thin with prima donna athletes who think they are bigger than the team. That stuff might go over in Dallas (who haven't won a playoff games since 96) but not here.

Holding out of a 6 yr 54M deal is plenty different is a huge risk. I can't recall a NFLer who's held out of such a large deal.

It's almost unanimous that whoever gets the best player in a trade, in any sport, ends up winning that trade. It would be DUMB to move cos a few fans are ticked off at him.

a man with a brain. i dont like what his agent pulled last year because it hurt us and peters and i think peters knows that now. he's a good guy and the bills need to pay him. and all the idiots that want to trade him dont care about the bills very much.

if we traded the guy we would be the laughing stock of the league espicially seeing that we are 27 million under the cap. like Ralph said we need talent so trading one of your top 5 talents is just plain asinine.

One good example of what Peters should have done, would be Alana Faneca formerly of the

soon to be World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Last year he ws miffed at the beginning of

training camp, and may have even held out some, but it wasn't long, he is at least at two-time

pro-bowler, he came in to camp, and had a very respectable if not dominant year in a down year

for the Steelers. I remeber him publicly stating that he was done after that year, and that he would

not sign with them again, before the season even started. After that year, he signed with the Jets

and was handsomly rewarded, and I think that the Jets are glad that they have him. I think the key

there was that Faneca knew that the Steelers don't negotiate as much with players under contract

and are generally frugal, and don't overpay average talent, he dealt with the situation and moved

on. Why is Peters situation any different? You honor your responsibilities, and then move on, you don't

miss the whole training camp, I could have seen a couple of weeks to send a message, but then you

come in almost get your quarterback killed a couple of times, and take a ton of un-timely penalties.

No denying his talent, but is his head and heart right?

Players hold out all the time, that's the nature of the business. Trading him after everybody already knows our line problems makes no sense. If I were Jauron with the state of the team and probably having to win this season, I'd push for them to get the situation handled as soon as possible. The Faneca situation doesn't help us. I don't want to see him play great for somebody else!

Players hold out all the time, that's the nature of the business. Trading him after everybody already knows our line problems makes no sense. If I were Jauron with the state of the team and probably having to win this season, I'd push for them to get the situation handled as soon as possible. The Faneca situation doesn't help us. I don't want to see him play great for somebody else!

I think Peters was the only player in the NFL to hold out until the season started.

I think Peters was the only player in the NFL to hold out until the season started.

Just saying you can't cast out every hold out. It's almost a certainty that some other big name will hold out this year and the next. It's the players bargaining weapon. I don't like it but that's what they do.