Bills Draft Options

BillsVet

Bills Draft Options

If you removed the names of prospects, this article probably could have been written for the 07, 08, and 09 drafts. One thing that never changes is Buffalo's huge needs for each season heading into FA and the draft.

I like Tyson Jackson, but he's a LDE with the frame to play in a 3-4 and not rush the passer in a 4-3. I would hope the front office doesn't reach on a DE because everyone and their brother knows Buffalo needs another pass rusher. Jackson may be strong against the run, but won't offer much in the pass rush.

As for the TE's, the coaches need to settle for a guy who can stretch the field that may not be a great blocker. There are plenty of guys in a Dallas Clark mold who are vertical threats without the blocking. If the Bills insist they need a blocking TE who can catch, their lone option seems to be Pettigrew. After that, the TE's who can catch aren't great blockers. Have to wonder if they need the TE blocking to assist Walker with speed rushers from the left (defensive) side.

Neither Pettigrew nor Mack are 11th overall worthy picks, as they're going no higher than 20 IMO. As much as I don't think the Bills will splurge in FA, they can't enter the draft needing a DE, SLB, C, and TE. With depth needed at LB, DT, G, and S they continue to enter every off-season with huge holes to fill. IMO, that's the price you pay when you enter the season with 20M+ under the cap. Last season and 07 demonstrated how not spending or drafting quality depth hurts in the long run.

Sure the Bills have options. One option I wish they had was taking best player available, which is something they haven't done since about 1994. Ah, well we've got Russ Brandon handling GM duties according to Bill Kollar. There's nothing to worry about. :unsure:

One option I wish they had was taking best player available, which is something they haven't done since about 1994. Ah, well we've got Russ Brandon handling GM duties according to Bill Kollar. There's nothing to worry about. :unsure:

They did this when they took McGahee...we didnt need him at all with Henry, but he was viewed as top 3 talent until the knee injury, so we took a chance on him using the 1st round pick we got from Atl for Price. Last year Leodis was also best player available when we picked. He was considered by many as the top corner and fell to us. Not to mention, the Bills said it was an easy choice as he was the top player available on their draft board too...

With the exception of Orakpo, who Mayock admited we prolly wont have a shot at, none of the players mentioned in the article are worth the 11th pick. In fact, guys like Cushing will be had in the early 2nd.

Its all smoke and mirrors at this point.

BPA @ 11 would put us in the area of guys like Curry, Maclin, Raji, Crabtree and Harvin.

With the exception of Orakpo, who Mayock admited we prolly wont have a shot at, none of the players mentioned in the article are worth the 11th pick. In fact, guys like Cushing will be had in the early 2nd.

BPA @ 11 would put us in the area of guys like Curry, Maclin, Raji, Crabtree and Harvin.

The more I hear and read about Raji, the more appealing he becomes...

Do you really think we'll be looking WR in Rd 1....I'd take Maclin or Crabtree in a heartbeat but no way do I see them drafting a WR.

You're right. We should ignore the need for a DE, C, TE, and LB. Let's keep drafting best position available, even if they are all wide receivers.

If the front office really believes that Crabtree is going to be a superstar, Larry Fitzgerald level WR, I think it would be irresponsible of them not to draft him.

But I don't think that's likely, especially if he's on the board at #11.

Maybe all of the posters who think that a rookie DE will make any difference, or that Center anytime before the 3rd round is anything but hairbrained, or that the TE class is lackluster(even moreso without Gresham) or that a this draft isnt lousy with LBs, can start a thread, jerk each other off and harass any poster who thinks different from you? By my count there will be at least 50 of you so I doubt you'll get bored. You can post again in other threads right before rookie ota's?

HE'S NOT GOING TO BE AVAILABLE AT #11.

how do you know? What if oakland takes Maclin and seatle takes Harvin? Last year Malcolm Kelly was the consensus best WR and he went in the 3rd. Just because a WR is rated high in January( for cryin out loud) doesnt mean crap in April.

Raji

how do you know? What if oakland takes Maclin and seatle takes Harvin? Last year Malcolm Kelly was the consensus best WR and he went in the 3rd. Just because a WR is rated high in January( for cryin out loud) doesnt mean crap in April.

I'll let you in on a little secret - there wasn't a Wide Receiver drafted in the first round last year. That's the ONLY reason Malcolm Kelly's name was even mentioned among the best receivers in the draft.

Lets be realistic here, Crabtree is going high. Especially if there is as much as "Fitzgerald" talk around the league as there is here.

As far as receiving TE's I like Jared Cook from the Gamecocks. I think we can get him in round 2 or 3 and still get line help we need in te 1st. If by some miracle Crabtree is there he is the pick. You have to take him even if you package him later.

Did you really just say that Cushing will be had in the 2nd round, and then ask another poster how he knows which players will be gone and when?

:flirt:

HE'S NOT GOING TO BE AVAILABLE AT #11.

That's what I'm saying. If he's as good as people say, he won't be available at #11. If he's there, it means that the scouts discovered something wrong with him, keeping him out of the straightaway to the Hall of Fame.

As far as receiving TE's I like Jared Cook from the Gamecocks. I think we can get him in round 2 or 3 and still get line help we need in te 1st. If by some miracle Crabtree is there he is the pick. You have to take him even if you package him later.

I'm sorry, but I can't draft a rooster. It was bad enough last year reading the headlines when we drafted and signed Fine, Cox.

speed at the combine isn't the same as speed on sunday. how many wide receivers has detroit taken in the first round that were supposed game changers?

You're right. We should ignore the need for a DE, C, TE, and LB. Let's keep drafting best position available, even if they are all wide receivers.

Yes, follow the Detroit model. It's worked so well. They went BPA year after year, even if that meant WR several years in a row.

BPA only makes sense if it is at a position that is not already a team strength. We'd be idiots, for instance, to re-sign Peters and then draft Oher if he was the BPA. Or to draft RB in the first if it was the BPA. Flat-out idiots.