Earthquake!

We just had another shaker in Anchorage.  Not too bad as they generally go...

Mother Nature likes to show off here.

6752[/snapback]

I'm not sure how to respond to this. Do I say it's Bush's fault, Bledsoe's fault, or Troy Vincent's fault?

You do live around that "Ring of Fire".  Don't cry if you fall into the Gulf of Alaska!

6775[/snapback]

Bunch of old-timers are probably up there right now, sitting out on Main Street watching the moose wander by, saying to themselves "That wasn't an earthquake. Now, Good Friday, 1964...THAT was a quake..."

Bunch of old-timers are probably up there right now, sitting out on Main Street watching the moose wander by, saying to themselves "That wasn't an earthquake.  Now, Good Friday, 1964...THAT was a quake..."

6781[/snapback]

Yeah, can you imagine that, what was it an eight something? I've been in mid sixes that will scare the stevestojan out of you. I couldn't imagine one that big.

Bunch of old-timers are probably up there right now, sitting out on Main Street watching the moose wander by, saying to themselves "That wasn't an earthquake.  Now, Good Friday, 1964...THAT was a quake..."

6781[/snapback]

I don't think nothing will get AD to move out of his 3rd floor, penthouse suite in downtown Anchorage... :flirt:

Afterall, why lose the view of Denali? :(:(

:unsure:

Yeah, can you imagine that, what was it an eight something?  I've been in mid sixes that will scare the stevestojan out of you.  I couldn't imagine one that big.

6794[/snapback]

9.3-9.6 region. Second-biggest on record (there was one off the coast of Chile that was bigger).

Of course, the Richter scale is exponential, so that range of 0.3 I gave represents a HUGE difference in the energy of the quake (a 9.6 is going to be about 3 times worse than a 9.3). And from what I understand, a 10.0 is theoretically impossible; when the quake energy gets that big, it basically ripping continental plates apart.

Magnitude 6 earthquakes fall under that "Things I'd like to experience just once as long as I'm just visiting" category for me. Above 7...forget about it. I ain't stupid.

9.3-9.6 region.  Second-biggest on record (there was one off the coast of Chile that was bigger). 

Of course, the Richter scale is exponential, so that range of 0.3 I gave represents a HUGE difference in the energy of the quake (a 9.6 is going to be about 3 times worse than a 9.3).  And from what I understand, a 10.0 is theoretically impossible; when the quake energy gets that big, it basically ripping continental plates apart.

Magnitude 6 earthquakes fall under that "Things I'd like to experience just once as long as I'm just visiting" category for me.  Above 7...forget about it.  I ain't stupid.

6871[/snapback]

Hay Tom, did you see where they are trying to surf 100 foot waves (of course using "tow-in" techniques that involve high speed jetskis)?

The Billabong company has put out a "bounty" for anybody who gets footage surfing one of the monster waves. I guess there are people who monitor events and storms throughtout the world, then can mobilize on a days notice to get to the "hot spots".

I guess when an event of great magnitude happens out at sea, the waves produced are big somewhere?

Freaking crazy