Caldwell the Most impressive Center at Senior Bowl?

Stl Bills

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few quotes from net sources on centers and particularly Mack at the Senior Bowl:

Mack officially weighed in at 312.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...h-in-breakdown/

Mack continues to take first team reps. I haven't seen the Draddy Award winner make any mistakes this week. Where most of the centers have had trouble with the shotgun snap, all of Macks have been right on target. That's not to say that Mack has been perfect, but he's definitely in the top three of most impressive offensive lineman from either team this week.

Without pads, we didn't see much action from either the offensive or defensive lines. There wasn't heavy hitting, but they did work on blocking techniques and simulated some game situations. Mack had no trouble getting his work accomplished today.

In fact, Mack has done so well this week that he's moved up on some of the draft expert's boards. ESPN.com and Scouts INC. analyst, Todd McShay had Mack behind Oregon's Max Unger coming into the week. This is what he said after Day 3:

One of the stories we were interested in heading into Senior Bowl week was the duel between two highly touted centers from the Pac-10: California's Alex Mack and Oregon's Max Unger. Mack was able to create some separation from Unger in the first two days and continued to distance himself on Day 3. Mack was beaten a few times by Raji during the team period, but Raji has not been slowed down much at all this week and Mack returned the favor in one-on-one drills, doing a nice job of dropping his hips and anchoring against 334-pound Raji. Mack also continued to do a great job of sliding and mirroring rushers while displaying the ability to redirect when caught out of position. Mack is the clear-cut leader among centers from both rosters.

http://www.examiner.com/x-599-Cal-Bears-Ex...-on-North-squad

Senior Bowl: Trench warfare with Mack, Raji

Everyone is talking about Boston College's B.J. Raji, and for good reason. Raji measured 6 ½ feet today and weighed 334 pounds. He's built like an oak stump, but he has excellent quickness for a guy that size. He typically had his way with offensive linemen today. The only guy who was able to handle Raji was Cal center Alex Mack, who was easily the best offensive linemen on the North squad and who was considerably better than Oregon's Max Unger, whom many publications have rated higher than Mack. Mack got the better of Raji during team drills, at one point standing him up and driving him backward.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers...ves/018719.html

01/21/09 - 2009 Senior Bowl, Tuesday practice: The stellar play of Raji and Magee belies the fact that the North squad boasts rare talent on their offensive line ・especially at the center position. Like Raji, Jerry and Magee, however, Oregon's Max Unger and California's Alex Mack, NFLDraftScout.com's highest rated centers, project best in different schemes at the next level. The two former Pac-10 stars alternated between center and left guard Tuesday. Unger is quite nimble on his feet, showcasing rare balance and agility for such a large man when blocking on the move. While he struggled anchoring against Raji, Unger's ability to pull from the center position and effectively block at the second level is rare. Unger's agility in space and balance in pass protection allows him to project nicely as either a center or guard in a zone blocking scheme. Mack, on the other hand, is the more physical of the two and has the better anchor in pass protection. He and Raji provided some classic battles on the inside Tuesday, with Mack being the only of the North's interior lineman able to at least earn a stalemate on the day against Raji. While the elite talent lies inside on the North squad, the ones to watch on the South line of scrimmage play outside, with notable exception of Jerry, of course. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/20/09 - 2009 Senior Bowl Monday: Center Alex Mack (California) and guard Kraig Urbik both looked tall and thick with long arms (33 1/4 inches and 33 1/2, respectively) and big hands (10 5/8 inches, 10 1/2). - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/20/09 - 2009 Senior Bowl, Five players who helped themselves Tuesday: C/OG Alex Mack, Cal and Max Unger, Oregon: Even though Raji did beat Unger at times in one-on-one drills, scouts appreciate Unger's feistiness against the big man over the past couple of days. Mack's strength is impressive in the pivot. Both guys play nasty, which every offensive line coach loves. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...09&genpos=C

Day One Studs:

C Alex Mack displayed good versatility bouncing back and forth between center and guard. He showed better athleticism in space than first thought by consistently getting out to the second level. Mack has by far the quickest and most powerful punch at the Senior Bowl.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...wl-day-1-recap/

Day 3 at the Senior Bowl from Todd McShay (summarized unless quote boxed, because coping quotes off a phone sucks)

• No one can block B.J. Raji, but Cal's Alex Mack has been the closest separating him from Oregon's Max Unger as the top C in the class

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/1/22/7318...enior-bowl-cove

One thing that I get out of this is that I want Raji on the Bills. But if it's not possible, Mack looks terrific.

If you watched coverage of the Senior Bowl practices you would have seen BJ Raji killing Alex Mack in the one on one drills, just imagine what Kris Jenkins and Vince Wilfork would do to him. As of now, IMO, Mack wouldn't be a consideration at 11. There isn't a center in the draft that I would take at 11 or a tight end for that matter. As a Bills fan, I hope they don't look at those two positions until the 3rd/4th round. I believe that they can get Caldwell or Shipley in the 3rd and Coffman in the 4th. If Coffman isn't there in the 4th, Shawn Nelson from So.Mississippi will be a viable option. This guy really caught my eye watching the practices. He caught everything, was able to beat his defender down the middle of the field and the pro coaches were giving him high compliments. I really believe the Bills should address the pass rush/defensive line with the first two picks. You all know how highly I think of Everette Brown and hope he is there for the Bills at 11. Basically I hope they go DE/DT in round one and DE/DT/LB in round two.

A DT that is unblockable, eh? Sort of like a Cortez Kennedy, Warren Sapp, Joe Greene type of guy? Nah, he doesn't "fit our system". :unsure:

Yeah, the more I want Senior Bowl practice and hear reports, the more I think an "unblockable" DT is the way to go this year.

While we need a speed rusher more, there isn't a great one available. There is a prmising looking TE, but who changes games more, a dominating DT or TE?

We missed on Haloti by taking Bobblehead Whitner; let's not miss again if Raji is there at 11. Put him with Stroud and our 4-3 D might not be bad.

Get Peppers to go with Schobel while you're at it.

Don't listen to the professional scouts. Listen to Roshan Bhagat and the kids on the blog site. :flirt:

Nobody said it was the "end all be all" as to who the best C in the draft was, just one guys daily report of the Senior Bowl practices; I just like their website........ :thumbsup:

If you watched coverage of the Senior Bowl practices you would have seen BJ Raji killing Alex Mack in the one on one drills, just imagine what Kris Jenkins and Vince Wilfork would do to him. As of now, IMO, Mack wouldn't be a consideration at 11. There isn't a center in the draft that I would take at 11 or a tight end for that matter. As a Bills fan, I hope they don't look at those two positions until the 3rd/4th round. I believe that they can get Caldwell or Shipley in the 3rd and Coffman in the 4th. If Coffman isn't there in the 4th, Shawn Nelson from So.Mississippi will be a viable option. This guy really caught my eye watching the practices. He caught everything, was able to beat his defender down the middle of the field and the pro coaches were giving him high compliments. I really believe the Bills should address the pass rush/defensive line with the first two picks. You all know how highly I think of Everette Brown and hope he is there for the Bills at 11. Basically I hope they go DE/DT in round one and DE/DT/LB in round two.

Were you there all day? These guys were. Try reading my post and the excerpts from actual people who were there all day again. Yes, Raji had some success against Mack, but Mack was the only guy who had success against Raji. The only one. So if you are worried about what Jenkins and Wilfork would do against Mack, you had better close your eyes if any other young center finds his way into our lineup.

If you wait till the 3rd / 4th round to fill the center and tight end positions, you know what you get? Guys who, after a year or two of experience will be easily mistaken for Duke Preston and Robert Royal.

I just know I will get killed on this but did anyone notice the improvement in the run game after 2 starts by Preston.

That was largely the return at the same time of Brad Butler. The run game this year could be charted just by following when Butler got injured and when he returned.

Dude, you'll be lucky if Coffman is there in Rd 2

Just wanted to say, I watched EVERY CENTER get handled by Peria Jerry. That guy IS A BEAST. Watched Caldwell get impressively rolled over backwards by a couple of guys he was lined up against.

Jerry is one of my favorite players in this year's draft. If you watch the Alabama/Ole Miss game, Caldwell absolutely manhandled him all over the field.

With Fowler starting at C the Bills were 4-1 and averaged 25.2 ppg. With Preston starting at C the Bills went 3-8 and averaged 19.1 ppg. Actually, ignoring the romp over the Chiefs, they were 2-8 and averaged only 15.6 ppg. That's a 10 point swing and a total flip from winning 80% to losing 80%.

And it can all be blamed on the play of the Center. why we havent hung this loser by his balls is a mystery to me.

Were you there all day? These guys were. Try reading my post and the excerpts from actual people who were there all day again. Yes, Raji had some success against Mack, but Mack was the only guy who had success against Raji. The only one. So if you are worried about what Jenkins and Wilfork would do against Mack, you had better close your eyes if any other young center finds his way into our lineup.

If you wait till the 3rd / 4th round to fill the center and tight end positions, you know what you get? Guys who, after a year or two of experience will be easily mistaken for Duke Preston and Robert Royal.

Everyone should note that Caldwall, the roadgrading center from Alabama did not have the opportunity to go agaisnt Ragi all week. Seems that the North team centers pretty much handled their business, except for Raji. I couldnt take watching the game online, and did not see it, but how did Caldwell do against Ragi?

Secondly, If Mack, Unger, and Caldwell are all very talented cetners, one of them will be there in the second. If the Bills determine they are high on the big board they will take one.

Thurman1, everything you read isn't always correct. I remember reading that the world was flat and Christopher Columbus discovered America. I watched the practices and I reported what I saw with my own two eyes. Alex Mack is not worthy of the 11th pick in the draft IMO and I just thank god you aren't in the decision making process down at OBD. As far as waiting past the 3rd/4th round for a center/tight end, draft guru, there is an undrafted center starting in the Super Bowl next week and an undrafted pro bowl tight end in the league. Thurman1, I suggest you put down your Mel Kiper draft guide and do your own research.