Caldwell the Most impressive Center at Senior Bowl?

Stl Bills

Sounds like both Mack and Unger are in the mold of what we already have at C, quick and athletic don't have the strength to hold up against some of the bigger Tackles in the NFL. Caldwell on the other hand has been putting together a great week at the senior bowl.....

FOOTBALL'S FUTURE WEDS. REPORT

By: Roshan Bhagat

"On the interior, Antoine Caldwell continued to prove to be the best center in the draft. He has the strength to play in the trenches as a rookie and Coach Del Rio praised him for his footwork. Caldwell was beaten once or twice on the day, but more often than not, he got his way with the defense."

"The big losers on the day were Alex Mack and Xavier Fulton. Fulton allowed defenders to get into his chest and drive him straight back. Mack really struggled with B.J. Raji the entire day. Raji was playing motivated and it was apparent that Mack couldn’t handle his power and leverage. This just reaffirmed my beliefs that Mack is a pure zone-blocking center."

"The player that jumped out in the one-on-one drills in the trenches was Oregon’s Max Unger. Unfortunately, it wasn’t in a good way. He’s too easily overpowered by defensive tackles, which makes me wonder. Might he be a better fit at left tackle, a position he also has experience playing? In the team drills, he looked okay, but also stumbled trying to get out for a screen."

"Center Antoine Caldwell may be playing the best of the talented center class this week. Unlike Unger and Mack on the North team, Caldwell has the strength to play in the middle, as witnessed by his standing up of Georgia defensive tackle Corey Irvin. The rest of the offensive line fared no better than these two."

"As the focus turned away from the outside to the big uglies, the real fun began. Alex Mack had a difficult day, but faced the best competition. He was beaten on several occasions by Ziggy Hood out of Missouri, but also held his own several times. The other center on the team, Max Unger was really humiliated several times. As many mentioned prior to the event, he’s needs add some weight to handle the larger tackles. He was bull rushed and abused by several players. He has the versatility to play on the outside so maybe he should be moved back there."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Caldwell in Round 2!!

Smart - 1st Alabama player to graduate in 3 years.

Leadership - Made permanent captain in his junior year (99% of the time you must be a senior)

Durable - Started EVERY game he was a part of since his freshman year

Sounds like both Mack and Unger are in the mold of what we already have at C, quick and athletic don't have the strength to hold up against some of the bigger Tackles in the NFL. Caldwell on the other hand has been putting together a great week at the senior bowl.....

FOOTBALL'S FUTURE WEDS. REPORT

By: Roshan Bhagat

"On the interior, Antoine Caldwell continued to prove to be the best center in the draft. He has the strength to play in the trenches as a rookie and Coach Del Rio praised him for his footwork. Caldwell was beaten once or twice on the day, but more often than not, he got his way with the defense."

"The big losers on the day were Alex Mack and Xavier Fulton. Fulton allowed defenders to get into his chest and drive him straight back. Mack really struggled with B.J. Raji the entire day. Raji was playing motivated and it was apparent that Mack couldn’t handle his power and leverage. This just reaffirmed my beliefs that Mack is a pure zone-blocking center."

"The player that jumped out in the one-on-one drills in the trenches was Oregon’s Max Unger. Unfortunately, it wasn’t in a good way. He’s too easily overpowered by defensive tackles, which makes me wonder. Might he be a better fit at left tackle, a position he also has experience playing? In the team drills, he looked okay, but also stumbled trying to get out for a screen."

"Center Antoine Caldwell may be playing the best of the talented center class this week. Unlike Unger and Mack on the North team, Caldwell has the strength to play in the middle, as witnessed by his standing up of Georgia defensive tackle Corey Irvin. The rest of the offensive line fared no better than these two."

"As the focus turned away from the outside to the big uglies, the real fun began. Alex Mack had a difficult day, but faced the best competition. He was beaten on several occasions by Ziggy Hood out of Missouri, but also held his own several times. The other center on the team, Max Unger was really humiliated several times. As many mentioned prior to the event, he’s needs add some weight to handle the larger tackles. He was bull rushed and abused by several players. He has the versatility to play on the outside so maybe he should be moved back there."

I watched the entire practice yesterday on NFL Network and I watched Raji & Mack go at it and 95% of the time Mack was getting beat by him. There was one play where Mack did dominate Raji. But most of the time, Mack was getting beat left and right. He didnt look any better then Duke Preston! Caldwell's stock has gone up this week. Might even go up further with a nice showing in the bowl.....

If Mack cant hang with Raji, he wont be able to hang with the DT's we face within our own division!

Lets wait till the senior bowl to judge these guys 100%. The two pac-10 guys have been getting blown up by Raji, lets see how Caldwell fares agaisnt him. Has anyone heard about the C from Penn St?

Aside from the fact he's undersized? Smaller than Fowler at 6'1, 298

Good freaking gravy. There are more college graduates in this thread then in three years of the Alabama football program?

I believe he is the first football player to graduate in under 3 years, could be wrong though.

I want Caldwell in Round 2!!

Smart - 1st Alabama player to graduate in 3 years.

Leadership - Made permanent captain in his junior year (99% of the time you must be a senior)

Durable - Started EVERY game he was a part of since his freshman year

Competition - Played against the some of the best defenses in the country on a weekly basis unlike the guys in the Pac 10 and those soft defenses (besides USC).

I watched the entire practice yesterday on NFL Network and I watched Raji & Mack go at it and 95% of the time Mack was getting beat by him. There was one play where Mack did dominate Raji. But most of the time, Mack was getting beat left and right. He didnt look any better then Duke Preston! Caldwell's stock has gone up this week. Might even go up further with a nice showing in the bowl.....

If Mack cant hang with Raji, he wont be able to hang with the DT's we face within our own division!

easy man any of the top 3 centers in this draft would be a monumental upgrades over any of our centers. yesterday lirwin and ryan who are @ these practices said that mack would be a starting center in the NFL his rookie year and i will take their opinion of a player than the guy who wrote this atricle.

There are vastly varying opinions on the centers. There is no clear-cut favourite, there is no consensus. Some like Mack, some like Unger and some like Caldwell. It's really a toss up and will probably hinge on two things: who puts up the best combine numbers and whose playing style fits a teams blocking scheme.

Will Caldwell still be available by the time our second pick comes up?

I think center is our top need.

I think we very much need to pick this kid, but I don't want to reach early and I don't want to give up all that is would take to trade back into the first.