Tampa 2 D

Per: http://www.rotoworld.com/default.aspx

Interesting note that now that Tony Dungy has left Indy, the new head coach wants to dump the Tampa 2.

Updating a previous item, Profootballtalk.com reports that the Colts have fired defensive coordinator Ron Meeks.

Meeks' defenses were strong against the pass, but never finished higher than 15th against the run and were 20th or lower in five of Meeks' seven years as coordinator. The style of defense Meeks ran, Tampa 2, is falling out of vogue. Meeks received head-coaching interviews the last two offseasons, but was never a serious candidate anywhere. He may spend 2009 out of football.

Source: Profootballtalk.com

Personally, I can't stand the Bills version of the 2. Don't you wish the Bills would make a similar move and change to a Jim Johnson style of defense that Steve Spagnuolo ran with the NY Giants,you know the one that stopped the Patriots perfect season in the SB.

Interesting note that now that Tony Dungy has left Indy, the new head coach wants to dump the Tampa 2.

Updating a previous item, Profootballtalk.com reports that the Colts have fired defensive coordinator Ron Meeks.

Meeks' defenses were strong against the pass, but never finished higher than 15th against the run and were 20th or lower in five of Meeks' seven years as coordinator. The style of defense Meeks ran, Tampa 2, is falling out of vogue. Meeks received head-coaching interviews the last two offseasons, but was never a serious candidate anywhere. He may spend 2009 out of football.

Personally, I can't stand the Bills version of the 2. Don't you wish the Bills would make a similar move and change to a Jim Johnson style of defense that Steve Spagnuolo ran with the NY Giants,you know the one that stopped the Patriots perfect season in the SB.

It wasn't the style that stopped the Pats. It was the best pass rush personnel in football. Look how well that spectacular style did in the playoffs this year with one DE injured and one retired. The Giants had spectacular personnel.

Not that I love the Tampa Two, but the Jim Johnson style wasn't the reason they were all-World.

Ralph gave the finger to Bills fans when he retained Jauron. He was unwilling to swallow his pride that he made the biggest boneheaded decision of his lifetime when he gave Jauron an extension before even midseason point. So here we sit and wait for the end of the 2009 season when Dick will no doubt be fired (after the Bills nosedive with a 4 or 5 win season) and the Bills can finally ditch the antiquated, outdated and constrictive Tampa 2 scheme. That means the Bills are at least three years away from having any semblance of a strong and dominating defense. The Tampa 2 is a chicken sh_t scheme, that fits our chicken sh_t head coach like a glove.

Ralph gave the finger to Bills fans when he retained Jauron. He was unwilling to swallow his pride that he made the biggest boneheaded decision of his lifetime when he gave Jauron an extension before even midseason point. So here we sit and wait for the end of the 2009 season when Dick will no doubt be fired (after the Bills nosedive with a 4 or 5 win season) and the Bills can finally ditch the antiquated, outdated and constrictive Tampa 2 scheme. That means the Bills are at least three years away from having any semblance of a strong and dominating defense. The Tampa 2 is a chicken sh_t scheme, that fits our chicken sh_t head coach like a glove.

you got it right

Also on a related note, the Packers have hired Dom Capers to be their defensive coordinator. He too is primarily a 3-4 coach who made his reputation with (who else) the Steelers. Two fewer teams playing the Tampa 2 this coming season.

Personally I don't think it's necessarily a scheme thing. If you have great players any scheme will work. Tampa had Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, and John Lynch in their primes. Problem is we're a player and probably two, short.

Disagree with this too. Ralph has no pride as he's already demonstrated for almost 50 years. He has no pride and no shame. He'll gladly take our money under any circumstances.

He wasn't unwilling to swallow his pride, he was unwilling to swallow his money.

It wasn't the style that stopped the Pats. It was the best pass rush personnel in football. Look how well that spectacular style did in the playoffs this year with one DE injured and one retired. The Giants had spectacular personnel.

Not that I love the Tampa Two, but the Jim Johnson style wasn't the reason they were all-World.

Total agreement with it not being the scheme.

Pass rush=turnovers.

McGee, Greer, Whitner, and McKelvin are ballhawks but they had no opportunity for INTs because we have no pass rush.

I also don't believe that the primary problem is the scheme. Draft Everette Brown. The defense will be much better with a pass rush.

Personally I don't think it's necessarily a scheme thing. If you have great players any scheme will work. Tampa had Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, and John Lynch in their primes. Problem is we're a player and probably two, short.

You forgot Simeon Rice. The man was all but unstoppable. All kidding aside, was he running backwards trying to cover receivers? I don't remember, but I doubt it very much.

Although the 07 NY Giants finished that SB season at 10-6 and finished this season at 12-4 they clearly didn't have the same momentum going into the playoffs this season. Plaxico Burris might be a bigger reason as to why the NY Giants are not headed to the SB this year then the pass rush or defense.

Any style of defense will look great with a really good pass rush,no question. So Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora not playing this past season did have a big impact as to why they were not as dominant as last season. Still,they were the # 5 defense overall in the NFL this season.

The Bills were # 14 overall and # 21 against the run,that's my beef with the Tampa 2 is the run defense!

The Tampa two is partially defined by having smaller,faster penetrating defensive tackles rather then the bigger and heavier run stuffing DT's.

Out of the top 7 defenses in the NFL this year only one runs a 3-4 and that's the #1 Steelers,the rest all run a 4-3 and of those NONE run a Tampax 2 defense. #2 Baltimore- #3 Philadelphia- #4 Washington- #5 NY Giants- #6 Minnesota- #7 Tennessee #8 Dallas #9 Tampa Bay #10 New England. Dallas is the only other 3-4 defense besides the Steelers in the top 10

I'll take the Giants and Philly (Jim Johnson) style of defense over the Tampa 2 any day

Unfortunately the Bills do not have a Pass rushing DE and Pass rushing LB to run Johnsons style of defense....So the Bills will never get out of the Tampa 2 style.

Although the 07 NY Giants finished that SB season at 10-6 and finished this season at 12-4 they clearly didn't have the same momentum going into the playoffs this season. Plaxico Burris might be a bigger reason as to why the NY Giants are not headed to the SB this year then the pass rush or defense.

Any style of defense will look great with a really good pass rush,no question. So Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora not playing this past season did have a big impact as to why they were not as dominant as last season. Still,they were the # 5 defense overall in the NFL this season.

The Bills were # 14 overall and # 21 against the run,that's my beef with the Tampa 2 is the run defense!

The Tampa two is partially defined by having smaller,faster penetrating defensive tackles rather then the bigger and heavier run stuffing DT's.

Out of the top 7 defenses in the NFL this year only one runs a 3-4 and that's the #1 Steelers,the rest all run a 4-3 and of those NONE run a Tampax 2 defense. #2 Baltimore- #3 Philadelphia- #4 Washington- #5 NY Giants- #6 Minnesota- #7 Tennessee #8 Dallas #9 Tampa Bay #10 New England. Dallas is the only other 3-4 defense besides the Steelers in the top 10

I'll take the Giants and Philly (Jim Johnson) style of defense over the Tampa 2 any day

Very nice post. Good research and points. However I think New England plays a 3-4.

Minnesota has nice personnel so again I think it's more the athletes than the scheme.

Yeah, it's almost always the athletes more than the scheme. The scheme is either how you take advantage of the athletes you've got, or maintain consistency in the athletes you pursue. We had 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses win the Super Bowl in consecutive seasons just now. Don't freak out about the system, just make sure the players are good at whatever scheme they're running.

Yeah, it's almost always the athletes more than the scheme. The scheme is either how you take advantage of the athletes you've got, or maintain consistency in the athletes you pursue. We had 3-4, Tampa 2, and 4-3 defenses win the Super Bowl in consecutive seasons just now. Don't freak out about the system, just make sure the players are good at whatever scheme they're running.

I think scheme is way overblown. The keys to a successful defense are pretty simple:

1. Rush the passer.

2. Stop the run.

3. Create turnovers.

Good players on good defenses work together to get the above done. What scheme they're in doesn't matter all that much.

What scheme they're in doesn't matter all that much.

Yeah - with the exception, I think, that they're in a scheme that they know how to play in. Look at the Steelers - they've been a great defense for 30 years, and I don't think it's *because* they run a 3-4, I think it's because (in part) that they've decided that they're a 3-4 team, and stuck to their guns. They bring in players who are good at the 3-4, they train their players to be good at the 3-4, and they end up with a team of guys who are good at the 3-4. The added the zone blitz to the scheme and kept on going.

You can do this with any scheme.

he made the biggest boneheaded decision of his lifetime when he gave Jauron an extension before even midseason point.

I'm still absolutely baffled by this. What the hell would make Ralph pony up money for Dick Jauron at that point in the season? Like another team was going to swoop in and hire him for a ton of jack? It makes no sense whatsoever.