Tampa 2 D

I'm still absolutely baffled by this. What the hell would make Ralph pony up money for Dick Jauron at that point in the season? Like another team was going to swoop in and hire him for a ton of jack? It makes no sense whatsoever.

sure it does

in Ralph's bizarro world, he felt Dick would get wooed away after finally gettting the Bills to the playoffs.

Ralph was convinced he stole Dick at discount rates by extending him before the season was over.

I'm still absolutely baffled by this. What the hell would make Ralph pony up money for Dick Jauron at that point in the season? Like another team was going to swoop in and hire him for a ton of jack? It makes no sense whatsoever.

It could be explained from the perspective of being a tightwad. If Jauron had made a real run this past year and maintained his free agent status, he might have been able to command a larger pay hike than he was rewarded with. Although, I agree no other team was going to come in and "steal" him away -- there are other, much better coaches that got fired. Have you ever wondered why Jauron was eager to sign an extension 1/3 of the way through a season that was going so well? What I don't get is why his contract status was treated like a top secret. At the time, the extension would've almost surely been welcomed as good news -- the Bills were 5-1 and winning the division, the players love the guy.

Yeah - with the exception, I think, that they're in a scheme that they know how to play in. Look at the Steelers - they've been a great defense for 30 years, and I don't think it's *because* they run a 3-4, I think it's because (in part) that they've decided that they're a 3-4 team, and stuck to their guns. They bring in players who are good at the 3-4, they train their players to be good at the 3-4, and they end up with a team of guys who are good at the 3-4. The added the zone blitz to the scheme and kept on going.

You can do this with any scheme.

In 1992 Bill Cowher took over as head coach of the Steelers and changed the defense from a 4-3 to 3-4 and in 94 they were known as the "Biltzburgh" Steelers because they Blitzed so often.

The Pittsburgh 3-4 is so drastically different from a Tampa 2,can anyone name one D lineman on that Steeler defense without looking it up ? I know we can all name the safeties and linebackers because they are making all the plays.

That is what stinks about the Tampa 2 is that the front line is usually responsible for getting to the QB and getting all the sacks,hurries and pressure on the QB.So you will need some really great D linemen to get to the QB, otherwise the QB just picks the defense apart.That is why the Bills suck,because the of a smaller, faster penetrating lineman don't actually get to the QB very often and they get pushed around by bigger stronger O lineman,plus they suck against the run.

I don't mind the Bills using a 4-3 D,I just can't stand the Tampa 2 and if it were my choice I'd copy the Steelers 3-4 D.I miss Pat Williams on the Bills D,but then he wouldn't fit into that Buffalo Tampax 2 scheme

Yeah, actually they do. So that makes three 3-4 defenses (Pitt, NE, and Balt) and two Tampa 2 (TB and Minn) defense in the top ten.

Minnesota has nice personnel so again I think it's more the athletes than the scheme.

Thanks for the correction, NE does run a 3-4 and the Ravens show a 3-4 on their depth chart,but wasn't that setup that way so they could list Suggs as a linebacker to save money when they franchise him? He does usually line up at the line of scrimmage and it looks like they play a 4-3.

Minnesota doesn't run the same style of Tampa 2 that the Bills run what with the Wlliams bros in the middle,those two are the opposite of what the Bills went for in the "faster,smaller,penetrating interior linemen.I prefer the vikings version of the Tampa 2

all I gotta say about the Tampa 2 is...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/...ions_tampa.html

Marinelli defends Lions' Tampa Two defense :worthy: Detroit was dead last in total defense and last against the run and 26th against the pass