Free agents & draft will let us know how serious RW is about winni

Chuckknox

I do not think that Detroit is going to trade picks 20 and 33 for Peters. They need a lot of talent and Peters is not going to improve them enough to justify 2 high picks. I think they will use them to start building a team from the ground up. If we do not want peters why should they? Remember Matt Millen is gone as GM.

Let's clear one thing up here. YOU do not want Peters. Not we, YOU.

There are probably upwards of 20 teams that would give Peters $50M+ tomorrow if he were a free agent.

Detroit signed jeff backus to a $40M+ deal a few years back. I doubt they'll eat the cash and give up picks just so that they can dole out another $50M in cash to Peters.

That said, I still am baffled by the fascination people on this board have with trading good players. there is not one team in the NFL that would even consider trading a top-tier offensive lineman. It hasn't happened since the beginning of the decade when the Saints traded Willie Roaf to the Chiefs for a 4th round pick. Roaf went on to make 3 more pro bowls and the Chiefs had the best o-line in the NFL for about 5 years, while New Orleans' offense had pass protection problems until they selected Jammal Brown in the first round of the 2005 draft.

But hey, since trade speculation is so much fun, perhaps the Bills can also trade Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Stroud, Schobel, and McKelvin and get 10 first round picks. that way we'll have no talent but a whole lot to talk about on draft day.

The bottom line is Peters has a lot of value and for some reason or another the Bills haven't given him the money he wants. This will result in another holdout and him not playing to his potential. If the Bills aren't going to pay him, they might as well get some value for him. If Detroit is going to dole out $35m+ guaranteed to an unproven rookie QB, getting a Pro Bowl Left Tackle seems like a smart thing to do.

The bottom line is Peters has a lot of value and for some reason or another the Bills haven't given him the money he wants. This will result in another holdout and him not playing to his potential. If the Bills aren't going to pay him, they might as well get some value for him. If Detroit is going to dole out $35m+ guaranteed to an unproven rookie QB, getting a Pro Bowl Left Tackle seems like a smart thing to do.

Oh I can't disagree with any of that. It would be a great deal for Detroit. I just can't advocate the thought process that makes the team unwilling to pay Peters.

Ralph spends money on players because he has to. Teams needs to hit the salary cap floor, which is something like 86% of the cap. He doesn't seem to be in too big of a hurry to spend over that, nor does he seem to be in too big of a hury to spend $ where it really counts, in coaches.

I think it's funny that fans are hoping RW spends money in UFA. Going back to 2007, RW spent big on Dockery and Walker because he was so far beneath the cap to being UFA. SOo much so, that he had approximately 20M to spend heading into the regular season.

And now we're 22M+ under the cap going into 08. I can see some cuts, but when the Bills start 09, they'll be near the salary floor. But don't worry, they'll be putting a few extra dollars into the marketing department.

Personally, I plan on waiting to see what happens, instead of trying to guess ahead of time.

Maybe a good trade as well. This has to be a good year or they will start over again. No more 7-9's.

Does any one dare to guess on the first "big name" or major trade we do? It has to be something that has some "marketing clout" behind it, as well as good for the team.

After we pay Peters, we don't have the money to sign a big name let alone big names. We will sign a couple second tier guys.

One of the Dumbest things that the Bills could do this offseason is to look to shop Peters around. I don't care what any one says, he is our best offensive player that we have and I'm pretty sure the rest of the NFL agrees with that. The only way that I would trade him is if someone approached us and looked to over pay and that we get some serious compensation for him.

Hopefully the Bills will do the right thing and look to lock him up to a big multiyear contract Yesterday!! Let's get er done!!