Looks like the NFL has no problem with dirty hits

1billsfan

That idiot Demps who knocked Warner down late with his helmet should have been tossed out of that game

Dawkins clearly came in late on a play and hit a player with the crown of his helmet yet no flag. The announcers never said a word about it.

McGahee was almost decapitated by a Steeler pointing his helmet towards McGahee's head, yet no flag. Sims gave the hit his approval.

I don't like this brand of football being promoted and apparently approved by the league. If they did not approve of it then it would be gone with the use of penalties, stiff fines and suspensions. I don't ever remember the Buffalo Bills of the Bruce Smith era going in with their helmets a la Jack Tatum style. It's now become accepted that players can't help it, that it's part of the game. That's b_lllsh_t. The Rodney Harrison style of play has now become the accepted model for today's NFL defenders. I was taught that you hit and tackle with your shoulders. It's hard to hit another player's helmet when your shoulder pads are hitting a player in the ribs. This dirty play crap has got to stop.

This league is becoming sick. This allowance of dirty play crap has got to stop.

Dawkins should have been flagged I agree with you there, but as far as this brand of football is concerned , I dont think it is a big deal. This is a collision sport which is why they wear the safety equipment they do. For the most part it works. They need to make improvements with the helmet(concussions), and perhaps a way to keep necks from snapping back violently.....this may be difficult considering players need a certain range of motion to view things happening around them.

Rules dont need to be changed, Equipment does. IMO

Of course Bills fans would have a problem with collision hits in football. We don't have any defensive players, who can hit like that. Personally I find it to be dissapointing. The Playoffs have been a rather somber reminder, just how far away defensively we are, from actual good teams.

That idiot Demps who knocked Warner down late with his helmet should have been tossed out of that game

Dawkins clearly came in late on a play and hit a player with the crown of his helmet yet no flag. The announcers never said a word about it.

McGahee was almost decapitated by a Steeler pointing his helmet towards McGahee's head, yet no flag. Sims gave the hit his approval.

I don't like this brand of football being promoted and apparently approved by the league. If they did not approve of it then it would be gone with the use of penalties, stiff fines and suspensions. I don't ever remember the Buffalo Bills of the Bruce Smith era going in with their helmets a la Jack Tatum style. It's now become accepted that players can't help it, that it's part of the game. That's b_lllsh_t. The Rodney Harrison style of play has now become the accepted model for today's NFL defenders. I was taught that you hit and tackle with your shoulders. It's hard to hit another player's helmet when your shoulder pads are hitting a player in the ribs. This dirty play crap has got to stop.

This league is becoming sick. This allowance of dirty play crap has got to stop.

It's football. Go watch soccer if you don't like the violence.

Dawkins should be flagged on almost every play he is on the field for. He more often than not, comes in late and dives, helmet first, into a down man.

The hit on McGahee was clean. While it wasnt prefect form, it wasn't dirty. You can only do so much to prevent helmet-to-helmet hitting, and you cant flag it when it occurs accidentally during an open-field tackle. When players are running free, you can only do so much to guess how high or low to aim. It wasnt openly cheap/dirty and thats how the league sees it too.

Dawkins uses his helmet as a weapon, I'll give you that.

I didnt see much through the rest of that game that would incite the league to step in. especially not the hit on McGahee.

I don't understand why that hit is thought of as acceptable though. Tatum paralyzed Stingly on a hit slightly worse than that one was. The receiver had no time to react to a defender launching himself at the top of his body, which happens to be where the head is. I just don't know why it's become an acceptable form of taking down a defender. Do I think the Steeler was trying to hurt McGahee? No I don't. But I do think he was using a technique that should be outlawed before someone dies.

I don't understand why that hit is thought of as acceptable though. Tatum paralyzed Stingly on a hit slightly worse than that one was. The receiver had no time to react to a defender launching himself at the top of his body, which happens to be where the head is. I just don't know why it's become an acceptable form of taking down a defender. Do I think the Steeler was trying to hurt McGahee? No I don't. But I do think he was using a technique that should be outlawed before someone dies.

he was using PROPER technique. he just never got to the slide-and-wrap part because both the defender and the runner were trying to get lower than the other one.

as a defender, when you are running full speed at someone, about to tackle them. there comes a point where you have to pick a spot where you THINK the player is going to be, then you break down and drive through that spot and hopefully that player. at that point, the defender is committed. sometimes tacklers guess wrong. sometimes the runner adjusts or changes direction. so sometimes the defender flat out misses, and sometimes the defender hits the player in a way that he doesnt intend to.

that doesnt mean players should be flagged every time it happens. its part of the game. it always has been.

he was using PROPER technique. he just never got to the slide-and-wrap part because both the defender and the runner were trying to get lower than the other one.

as a defender, when you are running full speed at someone, about to tackle them. there comes a point where you have to pick a spot where you THINK the player is going to be, then you break down and drive through that spot and hopefully that player. at that point, the defender is committed. sometimes tacklers guess wrong. sometimes the runner adjusts or changes direction. so sometimes the defender flat out misses, and sometimes the defender hits the player in a way that he doesnt intend to.

that doesnt mean players should be flagged every time it happens. its part of the game. it always has been.

I think he hit his mark right where it was intended. Harrison used to be the exception and now it seems like there are more and more Harrison clones in this league.

Dawkins definetly leads with his head and the league needs to hold players accountable who make this type of play often. I must admit I'm amazed by the amount of people who think the Mcgahee hit was dirty however.

When the defender started his motion his head was to the side and shoulder was leading. Mcgahee was just as much responsible for the helmet to helmet contact as the defender was. I dont understand how people who view this replay see this any other way, watch the replay and tell me you don't believe that Mcgahee lead with his helmet as well.

Both players lowered their heads. I'm beginning to think alot of fans here need to petition the league to start a flag football league so they can watch a less violent form of football. Soccer certainly doesnt fit that criteria not true European soccer that is a brutal physical sport as well. Just google search soccer injuries if you doubt this fact.

I think he hit his mark right where it was intended. Harrison used to be the exception and now it seems like there are more and more Harrison clones in this league.

no, given the way that he was injured himself, he clearly did not hit McGahee as he wanted to. just stop. there was nothing intentionally cheap about that hit.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Limas Sweed lead with the crown of his helmet on his helmet-to-helmet block on corey ivy. Clark also lead with the helmet on the McGahee hit. Both players should be fined at the very least if not suspended.

Or, more likely, the league only cares about their big $ players, so they won't do squat. But you can bet your ass that if Peyton or Brady had taken a shot like those 2 yesterday, the defenders would have been suspended on the spot.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Limas Sweed lead with the crown of his helmet on his helmet-to-helmet block on corey ivy. Clark also lead with the helmet on the McGahee hit. Both players should be fined at the very least if not suspended.

Or, more likely, the league only cares about their big $ players, so they won't do squat. But you can bet your ass that if Peyton or Brady had taken a shot like those 2 yesterday, the defenders would have been suspended on the spot.

someone linked the official rules last night. you mention 2 qbs. there is special verbiage in the rule which talks about specific positions (QB obviously being the biggest one).

youre right, if any of those hits happened to a QB in the pocket, there would be fines, and rightfully so. but when you are simply a "ball carrier" in the open field, there isnt much in the rules protecting you.

But you're a cool, tough guy who likes to call faceless people names on an internet board. :wallbash:

Well suggesting I go watch soccer was a low blow. I hate soccer. :flirt:

I just don't like the way the league is clearly condoning this head hunting which looks to be occurring much more frequently.

There are several reasons not to lead with your helmet -- not the least of which is your own safety. Everyone loves big hits, but leading with your helmet is just stupid, careless, and dangerous to both you and the guy you are hitting.

Football can be football without these types of hits.

Oh by the way, it does not make any difference whether it is helmet to helmet, whether the opposing player lowered his head, or just helmet on the opposing player:

The helmet rule (2006):

using any part of a player’s helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/“hairline” parts)

or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily; although such

violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent,

game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those

players who are in virtually defenseless postures (e.g., a player in the act of or just after

throwing a pass, a receiver catching or attempting to catch a pass, a runner already in the

grasp of a tackler, a kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air, or a player

on the ground at the end of a play). All players in virtually defenseless postures are protected

by the same prohibitions against use of the helmet and facemask that are described

in the roughing-the-passer rules (see Article 11, subsection 3 below of this

Rule 12, Section 2);