Coordinators

Many of the teams in the same boat as us (no playoffs this year or in multiple years) are interviewing and upgrading their coordinators' positions. Why aren't we? I understand the continuity aspect of retaining Dick (I don't like it or agree with it, but I can see their point) but they said they were going to 'assess all aspects of the team.'

So basically we're okay with 8-8, 7-9 whatever? :thumbsup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuity is the catch phrase. A change to a football strategy would take years to implement and cause a disruption in Buffalo. Meanwhile, The G-Men won a Super Bowl with a new DC last year. Miami went to the playoffs with an overhaul.

Our inner circle thinks otherwise.

Other consideration is DJ probably is not going to attract top assistants if his career losing continues.

Many of the teams in the same boat as us (no playoffs this year or in multiple years) are interviewing and upgrading their coordinators' positions. Why aren't we? I understand the continuity aspect of retaining Dick (I don't like it or agree with it, but I can see their point) but they said they were going to 'assess all aspects of the team.'

So basically we're okay with 8-8, 7-9 whatever? :thumbsup:

The official word from one Bills drive says that Dick Jauron has sole discretion over his staff. Apparently he believes that continuity is the answer. On a more speculative level one can wonder if any assistant worth anything is going to want to coach for jauron when he is in a dead man walking season. If the situation does not go well anyone hired id likely to get booted maybe even during the season. We are left to hope for a Coughlin like metamorphasis.

Coming from a football background, continuity is way bigger than the casual fans give it credit for. Switching a philosophy requires a learning curve and more often than not, it takes more than a season to adjust.

Most importantly though, continuity is even bigger when dealing with a young QB. I think the FO realizes how bad they handled JP and fear switching offensive philosophy is going to cause Trent to regress further. Young QB's need time to develop in the same system...doesn't mean they cant grow in a new one, but it's not an easy feat and more often than not that young QB will struggle.

I really believe this is the staffs last year to get something more from this team...anything less than a 9-7 record next year will certainly bring in change to the HC, OC, and DC. I think Ralph sees the incredible coaching pool available next year and this staff will be on a very short leash.

Ralph Wilson, for the past three seasons, has been in the business of buying time. He named Levy GM to get the fans back after Donahoe. DJ was hired, along with the lackluster coordinators, one of whom is now gone, because the HC had experience.

When Wilson elected to keep DJ and not mandate changes in the coaching structure, he gave his stamp of approval for mediocrity. Turk Schonert is an also-ran who's best suited to remain a QB coach. Perry Fewell is no better than average, and isn't someone opposing OC's fear. RW won't make changes unless those guys have a contract expiring.

What RW doesn't realize is, by keeping the same joke of a coaching staff and front office, he's amping up fan anger. By this time next year when the team ends the year for a 10th straight non-playoff season, he'll be out of cheap options. And the Bills will be right back where they were after 2000, when TD started.

Ralph Wilson, for the past three seasons, has been in the business of buying time. He named Levy GM to get the fans back after Donahoe. DJ was hired, along with the lackluster coordinators, one of whom is now gone, because the HC had experience.

When Wilson elected to keep DJ and not mandate changes in the coaching structure, he gave his stamp of approval for mediocrity.

I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. Ralph has shown a clear distaste for losing, has spent a lot of money the last 3 years on players and clearly WANTS to win.

His decision to keep DJ is not a signal he approves mediocrity, and it's quite an outlandish statement. I guarantee you this staff will be fired if we fail to have a winning season next year. If it was about money, he wouldnt have given the extension to DJ when he could get a cheaper HC by hiring a up and coming coordinator this offseason.

I whole heartedly disagree with this statement. Ralph has shown a clear distaste for losing, has spent a lot of money the last 3 years on players and clearly WANTS to win.

His decision to keep DJ is not a signal he approves mediocrity, and it's quite an outlandish statement. I guarantee you this staff will be fired if we fail to have a winning season next year. If it was about money, he wouldnt have given the extension to DJ when he could get a cheaper HC by hiring a up and coming coordinator this offseason.

Its all about the money and always will be with Wilson!

Jauron is getting 1/2 as much as three new head coaches hired last season from a coordinator position,Harbaugh,Smith and Spagnulo. Then he would need to eat Jauron's contract for 4.5 mill while paying someone else,never happen.

I'm not sure how long you've been following this team. Because in football, teams with the best talent evaluators generally win. Usually those talent evaluators are GM's, or directors of pro personnel or amateur scouting. Ralph spends money on players because he has to according to the CBA. On coaches and talent evaluators, RW spends near the bottom. He has no GM, which is ironically the same setup the Bengals have. And it's clear RW makes decisions on really important things, like coach. That's the same method that Jerry Jones and Al Davis utilize.

The point to all of this is simple. And your football background cannot be deep, or else you would know this. Teams with great talent evaluators win, and teams without them and have owners making football decisions usually don't.

And for the record, there aren't many cheaper coaches than DJ.

Continuity is the catch phrase. A change to a football strategy would take years to implement and cause a disruption in Buffalo.

Exactly... continuity = 4th consecutive losing season. Continuity, for the sake of maintaing a bottom third offensive ranking and bottom half defensive ranking. Continuity, as in not having to pay for coaches that are fired. (Hell, I say WTF difference does it make...you're already paying them for nothing).

The "disruption" this would cause in Bufflao, is the potential of winning 3-5 more games than this past season by bringing in a competent HC and staff. We can't have that... it would completely turn Buffalo upside down. The entire central and western NY region would not be able to function.

I'm not sure how long you've been following this team. Because in football, teams with the best talent evaluators generally win. Usually those talent evaluators are GM's, or directors of pro personnel or amateur scouting. Ralph spends money on players because he has to according to the CBA. On coaches and talent evaluators, RW spends near the bottom. He has no GM, which is ironically the same setup the Bengals have. And it's clear RW makes decisions on really important things, like coach. That's the same method that Jerry Jones and Al Davis utilize.

The point to all of this is simple. And your football background cannot be deep, or else you would know this. Teams with great talent evaluators win, and teams without them and have owners making football decisions usually don't.

And for the record, there aren't many cheaper coaches than DJ.

Hold on, I said nothing about the GM spot, only as to why we kept our coordinators. I have a pretty extensive football background and have also been a Bills fan for more than 20 years. I have said on numerous posts on here that we need a GM big time, and that it is our biggest need, not a new HC.

Ralph is gunshy and bitter still about the GM position, and because of that he is gun shy, which is a big problem in my eyes. I actually dont think it has to do with money to pay the GM, I think he just is gun shy based on the sour taste in his mouth. Either way, it's still holding the team back and this is the one area that falls solely on Ralph Wilson.

For the record, DJ was MARVS guy and brought him in because Marv wanted him. Also, I have several ties to the inner circles to the NFL from my football background, and believe it or not, DJ is still considered to be a good HC and feel the job he did in 07 with all our injuries was one of the better coaching jobs in the league that year. He also already has one Coach of the Year award and has done his best coaching with just moderte talent on his teams.

Now, I think he made plenty of mistakes this year, and when you dont have the talent to over come them they stand out. Mike Tomlin made just as many bone head blunders, but because the talent on his team overcomes them, they get brushed aside or go unnoticed by most. Winning masks mistakes, and losing highlights them.

DJ isn't as bad as Bills fans want to make him out to be. Me personally, I would prefer to make a change as I think this team needs more intensity and fire, one area DJ severely lacks. But, the lack of a true football mind as a GM is hurting us way more than DJ. This is proven the last 2 years as injuries have been something we have not been able to recover from as a lack of depth. Plus the contracts given to Kelsay and Denney would not have happened if we had a true GM in place, at least thats how I feel about it.

I think the true answer to the original poster's question is that nobody is willing to sacrifice their reputation to work under Dick Jauron right now, and it would take way too much money to coerce a top talent to come to Buffalo, probably more than what he is currently paying DJ.

For the record, DJ was MARVS guy and brought him in because Marv wanted him. Also, I have several ties to the inner circles to the NFL from my football background, and believe it or not, DJ is still considered to be a good HC and feel the job he did in 07 with all our injuries was one of the better coaching jobs in the league that year. He also already has one Coach of the Year award and has done his best coaching with just moderte talent on his teams.

Now, I think he made plenty of mistakes this year, and when you dont have the talent to over come them they stand out. Mike Tomlin made just as many bone head blunders, but because the talent on his team overcomes them, they get brushed aside or go unnoticed by most. Winning masks mistakes, and losing highlights them.

DJ isn't as bad as Bills fans want to make him out to be. Me personally, I would prefer to make a change as I think this team needs more intensity and fire, one area DJ severely lacks. But, the lack of a true football mind as a GM is hurting us way more than DJ. This is proven the last 2 years as injuries have been something we have not been able to recover from as a lack of depth. Plus the contracts given to Kelsay and Denney would not have happened if we had a true GM in place, at least thats how I feel about it.

When coaches make bad decisions on gameday, they lose. Whether it's playcalling (at NYJ) or which players to start (an injured McGee over a healthy McKelvin) or which players to draft (Whitner over Ngata), it's clear DJ isn't good enough in all phases of the game. I'm not sure who your sources are, but if DJ was a good HC, he would have proven it by now. He's hired four OC's in his 8 seasons as a HC. Three of them are in the college ranks and won't return anytime soon. Neither of his two DC hires were/are very special. No rational NFL "insider" would say DJ is anything more than a guy lucky to be working for a minor league NFL team.

But I'm still confused. You'd rather see DJ fired, but want to keep the same coordinators for the sake of continuity. That's a non-sequitur, and goes against your original post.

DJ is a bad coach, and I'd wager that there are few in league circles who agree DJ is even below average.

Why aren't the Bills willing to upgrade coordinators? Hmmmm.......Oh yeah, MONEY! Plus, no one of any quality would come into this situation now w/ "The Corpse" being a lame duck, and dealing w/ a very meddlesome 90 year old owner. The Bills right now, I believe, are looked on as a bad joke. Seriously.

I wonder who will give him his first shot in the pro game. I liked his line "scoring is a habit"

Hope it's us. (I can dream, no?)

Imagine what it'd be like to have an OC - or HC - with that mindset...

Mike Leach: "Scoring is a habit."

vs.

Dick Jauron: "It was interesting, weatherwise...both teams made plays...we just couldn't put it in the endzone...it's hard to win in the NFL...the guys work really hard..."

AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!