I am still having a problem with Dick Jauron

I know, get over it, right?

I am not going to get over it because it is costing us "Wins" every season.

Let me ask you this....

There are 32 head coaches in the NFL and they should be the very best coaches in the country.

Most high School head coaches learn about clock management before they are even considered for Head Coach.

How do you explain running the ball with 30 seconds remaining on the clock against New England.

Bill Billechick must have been laughing all night about that one.

If that's not bad enough, how do you explain calling a huddle? A quick score and unside kick could have won the game.

Think of it this way...this is like hiring a bank teller that does not know how to count money,then offering them an extension when the books show continuous discrepancies.

Perhaps you think Dick Jauron will improve, well you have more patience then me.

Some of you have already given up on Derek Fine and James Hardy.

If Ralph does not address clock management this off season by turning over the duties to someone else, it will cost us big time next season. I can list over 15 games where the clock was not used properly in the last few years and so could you!

I hate harping on this issue, but the situation is ridiculous.

Its just plain crazy to expect your players to be well prepared when the head coach is clearly lost!

Another wounded fan who needs someone to call the "waahhh-bulance" and its siren that goes "waahh, waahh, waahh"

Geezus...time to move on. DJ isn't as bad as people want to make him out to be...he's not great and made his share of mistakes, but we lose for one reason and one reason only...OUR QB isn't any good. Plain in simple. We barely beat terrible teams when he was healthy and had confidence, then when he was hurt our back up played terrible, and when he was healthy he was so shell shocked that he couldnt even attempt a pass downfield when we had WR's open countless times!

Until we solidify the QB position, this team will NOT win unless our D becomes as dominant as the Giants, Ravens or Titans...its just that simple.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another wounded fan who needs someone to call the "waahhh-bulance" and its siren that goes "waahh, waahh, waahh"

Geezus...time to move on. DJ isn't as bad as people want to make him out to be...he's not great and made his share of mistakes, but we lose for one reason and one reason only...OUR QB isn't any good. Plain in simple. We barely beat terrible teams when he was healthy and had confidence, then when he was hurt our back up played terrible, and when he was healthy he was so shell shocked that he couldnt even attempt a pass downfield when we had WR's open countless times!

Until we solidify the QB position, this team will NOT win unless our D becomes as dominant as the Giants, Ravens or Titans...its just that simple.

Says a completely delusional Dick Jauron supporter who needs someone to call in the guys with the white jackets and a big net.

I agree. We don't have a veteran-filled defense that will win us games, and we don't have a road-grading offensive line (at least not for the first first 12 games last year) that will allow us to run it down team's throats. Too much is riding on Trent's young shoulders and he simply doesn't rise to the occasion.

It's no mystery why he wilts against 3-4 Defenses- his field vision seems to be 2-8 yards from the LOS, and with four linebackers roaming those parts, he has nowhere to throw. Heaven forbid he trying putting some air under the ball once in awhile and connect deep with either our a.) Former Big-10 track star Lee Evans or b.) our speedy 6'6" converted basketball player.

Does this only make sense to me?

1. You say that all this is possible by picking up first downs. Okay? So what's your point? Pass for a first or run for a first. that's the argument then. Since this is a clock management discussion, and since you've chided them for leaving 30 secs, you must advocate RUNNING for the first down, since failure to PASS for the first down would have left even MORE time. Once again, HOW they ran it doesn't factor into this particular discussion.

2. A stuffed running play runs 6 seconds off the clock? Somehow I think that's a convenient assumption on your part. And, even if it DOES take it down to the 2 min mark, assuming it was stuffed, now it's 3 and 5, and if we don't convert, the Jets call time out again, get the ball back with nearly two minutes left AND a timeout. Clock management. They went for the juggular and a failure to execute made them look like fools. But, like I already alluded to, and as it's been discussed many times already, failure to execute is an understatement in this case, and the end result practically renders moot and series of 'what-ifs.'

1. It was pretty obvious that running was not going to pick up the first down. The Browns had them stopped dead. So yes, for multiple reasons (primarily to set up a better FG attempt but also clock reasons) passing made sense there.

2. Does the clock stop after a tackle on a running play? Yeah, I feel pretty safe in saying that a run would've taken the clock down to two minutes. And yes, the Jets could take time outs. But at least you're forcing them to use those time outs.

It's really not as complicated as you're trying to make it. If your run up the gut gets you a yard on first down, maybe it doesn't make sense to go back to it on second and third. And on the other hand, if your first down run nets you five yards, maybe it's ok to stick with it and let your big offensive line push the other guys around. This stuff isn't cleanly separable from "clock management"; calling plays that make sense is a big part of managing the clock.

I know, get over it, right?

I am not going to get over it because it is costing us "Wins" every season.

Let me ask you this....

There are 32 head coaches in the NFL and they should be the very best coaches in the country.

Most high School head coaches learn about clock management before they are even considered for Head Coach.

How do you explain running the ball with 30 seconds remaining on the clock against New England.

Bill Billechick must have been laughing all night about that one.

If that's not bad enough, how do you explain calling a huddle? A quick score and unside kick could have won the game.

Think of it this way...this is like hiring a bank teller that does not know how to count money,then offering them an extension when the books show continuous discrepancies.

Perhaps you think Dick Jauron will improve, well you have more patience then me.

Some of you have already given up on Derek Fine and James Hardy.

If Ralph does not address clock management this off season by turning over the duties to someone else, it will cost us big time next season. I can list over 15 games where the clock was not used properly in the last few years and so could you!

I hate harping on this issue, but the situation is ridiculous.

Its just plain crazy to expect your players to be well prepared when the head coach is clearly lost!

Harp on, DieHard, 'cuz Jauron sucks. I don't care how hard he says they work in practice - the Bills never seem as well prepared as their opponents, and his game day skills are non-existant. We need...

Says a completely delusional Dick Jauron supporter who needs someone to call in the guys with the white jackets and a big net.

I prefer to replace DJ too, but it's not gonna happen and it's not as bad as you wanna make it out to be. We have way bigger issues, like a QB who plays shell shocked and afraid or incapable of throwing down field consistently who gets hurt if you fart to close to him...

We won't win until Trent suddenly becomes less fragile and he learns to throw to his WR's when they are open or even in tight coverage. I don't care if Lombardi was our coach, we won't win with this kind of QB play...

I prefer to replace DJ too, but it's not gonna happen and it's not as bad as you wanna make it out to be. We have way bigger issues, like a QB who plays shell shocked and afraid or incapable of throwing down field consistently who gets hurt if you fart to close to him...

We won't win until Trent suddenly becomes less fragile and he learns to throw to his WR's when they are open or even in tight coverage. I don't care if Lombardi was our coach, we won't win with this kind of QB play...

I guess my question is (and as down as I am on Jauron and Co. this is intended as a question and not a bash), is it the QB, or is it the people guiding the QB? If Edwards' development has faltered (much like Losman's) is that inherent to the player, or is it possible that a different coaching staff could turn his head around?

The answer to that will tell us if we should pick up another young QB, or if we should go with an old hand who doesn't need the same kind of player development a rookie or young player would need.

I would disagree and say there is no problem on this team bigger than the coaching, right now. QB is another big problem, but it is hard to know how big of an issue any player is, when the coaching is as bad as it is.

It's great to have a board like this to exchange ideas, and get the frustration off of our chests. But, the continued complaints, over and over, about the same issues, aren't constructive in any way. It just gets old, after a while.

I guess my question is (and as down as I am on Jauron and Co. this is intended as a question and not a bash), is it the QB, or is it the people guiding the QB? If Edwards' development has faltered (much like Losman's) is that inherent to the player, or is it possible that a different coaching staff could turn his head around?

The answer to that will tell us if we should pick up another young QB, or if we should go with an old hand who doesn't need the same kind of player development a rookie or young player would need.

Good points...but...

One, the HC is NOT going to groom our young QB...you do know DJ was a defensive player and has a defensive background. Thats like having Don Mattingly as your pitching coach instead of your hitting coach. The QB is groomed by the QB coach and the OC on his mechanics.

Two, the staff has not mismanaged Trent like they did with JP. TE regressed on his own during games because he lost his confidence and his field vision. He didnt respond well to adversity, and while some of that is on the coaching staff, the majority of that is on the make up of Trent and his fragile psyche and body.

Now, JP I think can benefit in a new system. One, our system we have now doesnt fit his style of play. Two, he has no trust in the staff or FO after how he was mishandled so much and he just needs a fresh start somewhere to try and resurrect his career, if he even can.

Guest dog14787
I'm trying to get over it for now because unfortunately we're stuck with coach Juron for 2009. Unless the season starts with some kind of a disaster, like 0-6, then Ralph is going to be content to let things play out.

My problem is not the play calling issues, time management mistakes, misuse of challenges, game management or planning. The problem I see is no learning curve here. Sure people make mistakes. We all make mistakes at work and in personal dealings. But usually we learn from those errors, make corrections, and move forward. Looking through the 16 game season I don't see any of that. In the last month of the season you'd expect these blunders to be worked out, but that is not what we saw. Maybe Turk gets a pass but Juron has too much time as a head coach to use inexperience as an excuse. Rather the problem is incompetence.

So can we expect anything to improve next season? As Bills fans we need to hope but when I look at it objectively I can't hold out much hope that all of a sudden Juron is going to match wits with Mr. Bill in New England.

Good point, and the lack of improvement was very evident.

I would disagree and say there is no problem on this team bigger than the coaching, right now. QB is another big problem, but it is hard to know how big of an issue any player is, when the coaching is as bad as it is.

It's great to have a board like this to exchange ideas, and get the frustration off of our chests. But, the continued complaints, over and over, about the same issues, aren't constructive in any way. It just gets old, after a while.

Dean you make good points......I agree about the QB situation we have. Now Trent needs to have his shoulder looked at? Not good considering our team don't throw down field very often. I don't care who we get in FA or the draft, but if that QB spot is not fixed or at least have a decent veteran backup this team will yet be hampered by another position. Personally, id love to see another QB brought in to compete for the starting job, not just for back up purposes! Someone like Jeff Garcia, not saying I want him, but just saying player ability wise is what id like to have. Cause if we have t depend on Hamdan as the backup season is over before it began!

agreed

Oversimplification I know, but management as a whole is weak. Top down, when your big time decision maker is inept, you can expect trickle down ineptness all the way down to management on the field. Unless a decent management fell into Ralph's lap by luck, this team is fvcked until Ralph moves on to the great beyond!!!!

Guest dog14787
Get over it guys! Jauron is not the only problem. Quit looking for a scapegoat. The Bills need more talented players and if they get them this offseason, THEN make your determination on Jauron after next season. Enough already.

fixed it. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard, but you might want to get used to the idea that with so many folks posting, some of the Bills more obvious problems will be posted repeatedly over and over again until the problem is solved or in this case removed, which could be a long, long time from now.

I would disagree and say that based on Jauron's well documented, numerous mistakes this year, there is NO other more pressing issue than coaching. Would one expect a badly managed company, with good employees, to perform well? Not in my business.

I would disagree and say that based on Jauron's well documented, numerous mistakes this year, there is NO other more pressing issue than coaching. Would one expect a badly managed company, with good employees, to perform well? Not in my business.

You just agreed with me, I think.

Two, the staff has not mismanaged Trent like they did with JP. TE regressed on his own during games because he lost his confidence and his field vision. He didnt respond well to adversity, and while some of that is on the coaching staff, the majority of that is on the make up of Trent and his fragile psyche and body.

Now, JP I think can benefit in a new system. One, our system we have now doesnt fit his style of play. Two, he has no trust in the staff or FO after how he was mishandled so much and he just needs a fresh start somewhere to try and resurrect his career, if he even can.

What is this, a lifetime excuse? Can you even begin to see how nonsensical this is? :lol: Points for excuse originality though I must say. :rolleyes:

Give it up. He sucks because he sucks, he always did suck, and always will suck as an NFL QB.

What is this, a lifetime excuse? Can you even begin to see how nonsensical this is? :lol: Points for excuse originality though I must say. :rolleyes:

Give it up. He sucks because he sucks, he always did suck, and always will suck as an NFL QB.

Lol, I said "If he even can"... I never said he would...I was responding to another post that mentioned JP...

Lol, I said "If he even can"... I never said he would...I was responding to another post that mentioned JP...

Sorry.....but it did seem like an original excuse, and I've seen some good ones. That would have been the first that covered his future career, if not his entire life. :rolleyes::lol:

Are you EVER going to quit the JP BASHING Bill? You may be right & he will end up like Rob Johnson or you could be wrong & he is another Jim Plunkett. Either way it DOESN"T MATTER, HE IS NO LONGER A Buffalo Bill.