Record Player

Wooderson

I'm thinking about purchasing a record player, I've never had one so I don't know what to look for. What would you guys recommend? I would like something not too expensive and it doesn't have to be over the top at all, just a simple turntable with a built in speaker if possible. Any suggestions?

short of going to swap meets or flea markets looking for older models....perhaps you should check this out...

might be a bit pricey for what you are looking for...but thats about it in today's advanced tech world...i think

I'm thinking about purchasing a record player, I've never had one so I don't know what to look for. What would you guys recommend? I would like something not too expensive and it doesn't have to be over the top at all, just a simple turntable with a built in speaker if possible. Any suggestions?

This one has pretty good word of mouth. It doesn't have a speaker, but it can play through your computer (and convert the vinyl to MP3, etc. directly) and home stereo. It isn't audiophile material, but it doesn't sound as if you are looking for audiophile stuff. You may even find a better price than that...but that's a pretty good price.

Here's something less expensive, with a built-in speaker:

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...Nextag-_-116833

If you are looking for something slightly more high end, there is this:

http://www.nextag.com/Stanton-T90USB-Direc...159/prices-html

And, if you are looking to use this in a DJ capacity, this might interest you:

http://www.nextag.com/American-Dj-American...242/prices-html

The Dean put together a good list for you. One thing you should think about though is what you want to do with it in the near and long term. If you intend on ripping vinyl to digital easily, then definately get one that will have that added feature, like the Ion and Numark ones. If you only need a portable one with a speaker, then the Crosby's are pretty good. None of those will work in a component system, though, ie in a system with a reciever, CD deck, speakers, etc. Personally, I prefer the component system because vinyl should be listened to blasted out of a good set of speakers, but if you're not interested in that kind of an investment then go with the all-in-one route. One thing to think about, though, is if you already have a component stereo system you can get a decent turntable to just add to it for about the same price as you would pay for the Crosby or the USB-port turntables. Plenty of options. Good luck.

Good to see people gravitating back to vinyl, a far superior format for music than digital, in my opinion.

A friend of mine is suggesting I pick up a used Technics direct drive. The SL-D30 is the model he has and recommends. You can find them on ebay for $100 or less. Or probably on Craigslist.

I've got a Technics SL-BD22 that I bought back around '92 or '93, I think. I've only had to change the drive belts once back in '01, and have bought a new cartridge a couple times. Great turntable for the money I paid for it. Technics makes some quality turntables that last, so don't be scared off from getting your hands on a used one. Just replace the old cartridge and it should treat you right.

The Dean put together a good list for you. One thing you should think about though is what you want to do with it in the near and long term. If you intend on ripping vinyl to digital easily, then definately get one that will have that added feature, like the Ion and Numark ones. If you only need a portable one with a speaker, then the Crosby's are pretty good. None of those will work in a component system, though, ie in a system with a reciever, CD deck, speakers, etc. Personally, I prefer the component system because vinyl should be listened to blasted out of a good set of speakers, but if you're not interested in that kind of an investment then go with the all-in-one route. One thing to think about, though, is if you already have a component stereo system you can get a decent turntable to just add to it for about the same price as you would pay for the Crosby or the USB-port turntables. Plenty of options. Good luck.

Good to see people gravitating back to vinyl, a far superior format for music than digital, in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't own any of those, but thought that one or two of those tables worked with a home stereo, as well as through the computer system. I'm virtually positive the Stanton works with component systems, too. Here's a nice video review (the Ion is reviewed there, too):

http://cnettv.cnet.com/?type=externalVideo...p;value=6733150

I wouldn't buy a turntable that wasn't compatible with a component system. You can always rip from a traditional turntable, to your computer (if you want). Something like this makes it a little bit easier:

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-URECORD-U-record...1738&sr=8-1

You don't need that with the USB turntables.

There are still many decent, low-mid end, component turntables to be had. Just be sure to get one with a replaceable (and decent) cartridge. Something like this would be fine:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_057ATPL120/Au...120.html?tp=200

As to the analog vs digital debate, there is no question, IMO, that vinyl records, sound better than cds, under the best of circumstances. But, in the real world, for many, that simply doesn't work out to be true. I know that, while I never had audiophile equipment, I had a nice B&O turntable, Yamaha amplifier and Electro-Voice studio monitors (still the best speakers I ever owned), back in the 70's-80's. A new vinyl record sounded sensational...usually (for a while there were some spotty/crappy pressings back then). But, even though we tried to keep pretty good care of our stuff, booze/parties/girlfriends/drugs happened...and the album usually ended up with pops and such, after about 10-15 plays. The move to CDs in the 80's resulted in a noticeable improvement in the quality of the sound from most of my music collection. (To be fair, some of the direct-to-digital CDs were of outstanding quality, and a lot of the vinyl we bought at the time was pretty average, at best.)

But, I would say that now, a move back to vinyl (mostly high quality vinyl and good pressings) would result in an improvement in sound over my current CD collection. As I think I have better control over the situation (fewer parties, random people screwing with the stuff, fewer drugs...sadly) I think the records will stay in better condition for a longer time. Still, the vinyl records tend to skip pretty bad when I'm driving, so I will always have a need for digital music (cds or digital files).

Hey, thanks for the feedback and the links. I'll definitely check 'em out and figure out what I want to do.

I just wanted to get into vinyl because I want to have a reason to purchase music. If I'm buying cd's then I don't feel like I'm spending my money wisely. I want the artistic albums and I want to be able to appreciate the music, rather than go to my iPod and barely finish a song before noseing my way through 6,000 more songs to find one I want.

Hey, thanks for the feedback and the links. I'll definitely check 'em out and figure out what I want to do.

I just wanted to get into vinyl because I want to have a reason to purchase music. If I'm buying cd's then I don't feel like I'm spending my money wisely. I want the artistic albums and I want to be able to appreciate the music, rather than go to my iPod and barely finish a song before noseing my way through 6,000 more songs to find one I want.

Why did you want one with a built-in speaker?

Why did you want one with a built-in speaker?

My prior setup wouldn't allow for me to be able to move it to different rooms for different "recreational" activities. I have recently re-arranged things to be able to fit what i want so I might invest in something a little nicer and more retro.

I recommend letting the 80's die. :rolleyes:

If you do a side-by-side comparison between a high end CD player and a high end turntable/stylus/cartridge and good vinyl (pref master recording) both through a high end audio system/speakers, the CD will sound like you're playing it through a mattress compared to the vinyl/turntable. Unless you hear the difference yourself, you would never, ever believe it.

If you do a side-by-side comparison between a high end CD player and a high end turntable/stylus/cartridge and good vinyl (pref master recording) both through a high end audio system/speakers, the CD will sound like you're playing it through a mattress compared to the vinyl/turntable. Unless you hear the difference yourself, you would never, ever believe it.

I agree, if it is a good pressing on good vinyl, and it isn't scratched to death, the way most people's albums tend to get. Still, in a high-end automobile system, the CD sounds remarkably more fluid than the turntable...at least when you are driving. :rolleyes:

My prior setup wouldn't allow for me to be able to move it to different rooms for different "recreational" activities. I have recently re-arranged things to be able to fit what i want so I might invest in something a little nicer and more retro.

Portable. Nicer. Retro.

There's only one choice.

Portable. Nicer. Retro.

There's only one choice.

Finally. I couldn't believe though it took 18 posts. Here were two I found....

For the beginner...

http://www.burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/fprecord.jpg

This one is similar to one I had growing up...

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/wp-con...-party-time.jpg