I am having problems getting motivated this off season

I am not sure about you guys but this last season was very painful for me and I am having problems dealing with yet another 7-9 season.

I have been a huge fan for 42 years and I always bounce back after the Superbowl but I have serious doubts about motivating myself for the 2009 season.

Perhaps you can help get me on the right path. Here is a list of my concerns

#1. In a division with Bill Parcells and Bill Billcheck, I feel like we don't measure up in the front office or the coaching staff.

We need to solve some glaring weaknesses or the Patriots and Dolphins will blow right past us next season.

#2. I get the impression Dick Jauron was retained for economic reasons only, I am not sure Ralph really wants him in Buffalo.

Ralph has not addressed the time management problems or the lack of game planning by this coaching staff.

If this problem is not addressed ,I see the same problem next season.

#3. I have little faith that the Bills will move up in the draft to get the players Buffalo really needs to help improve the pass rush which should be the main focus. Brian Orakpo would be a perfect fit for the Bills and I would hope we would target him and do whatever it takes (within reason) to get him.

#4. I believe, actually I know this team has a massive confidence problem that is directly connected to the above.

I don't care what the players say to the press, they certainly do not agree with the time management issues.

#5. I believe there is too big of a gap in talent between 1st and 2nd string players and this leads to problems when starters are injured. This has been one of the main problems the last 3 years.

I think I need a vacation from the Bills till some of these problems are addressed. I sincerely hope Ralph Wilson will surprise us all and show the Buffalo fans he is serious about helping the Bills compete in the AFC-East before the fans lose faith and spend their money elsewhere.

Buffalo fans will be looking for some changes and a reason to get excited about 2009. LETS HOPE "SOMEBODY" HAS A PLAN.

-DIE HARD 1967

Well written, my friend. We have much in common ... Only difference is if I stole your handle, I'd be obliged to change it to DieHard1968 cuz I started a year after you did. (*sigh*) Frustration abounds. You hit one MAJOR, MAJOR gripe of mine right on the head ... Who is OUR "great football mind?" Jauron? Modrak? Get real ... We don't even HAVE a GM. And as you said, in a division with Parcells and Belechik, it would seem that vision, wisdom, and cunning in running/coaching/managing a franchise would be the most important bullet in the gun. Having watched Jauron get "pants'ed" by Belechik in that last game drove the point home for me.

-

What works against me is my optimism. Optimism increases the pain of the eventual reality. We optimists live in a strange world. It's a world where Lonnie Johnson starts at TE for twelve magnificent years and makes people forget Kellen Winslow. It's a world where Drew rediscovers his youth and wins two Super Bowls before retiring a Bill. It's a world where Tom Cousineau leads a Bills D so dominant that we pass on Bruce in '85 because what few 'needs' we have are on the offensive side of the ball. It's a world where Dennis Shaw's rookie year was only a GLIMPSE of the greatness to follow.

-

Yeah, it's difficult. Three-peating 7-9 doesn't scream "optimism." Look at it this way, though ... We were terrible in '85, mediocre in '86 and '87, and the late 80's and early 90's didn't turn out so bad. Keep the faith, man.

Well written, my friend. We have much in common ... Only difference is if I stole your handle, I'd be obliged to change it to DieHard1968 cuz I started a year after you did. (*sigh*) Frustration abounds. You hit one MAJOR, MAJOR gripe of mine right on the head ... Who is OUR "great football mind?" Jauron? Modrak? Get real ... We don't even HAVE a GM. And as you said, in a division with Parcells and Belechik, it would seem that vision, wisdom, and cunning in running/coaching/managing a franchise would be the most important bullet in the gun. Having watched Jauron get "pants'ed" by Belechik in that last game drove the point home for me.

-

What works against me is my optimism. Optimism increases the pain of the eventual reality. We optimists live in a strange world. It's a world where Lonnie Johnson starts at TE for twelve magnificent years and makes people forget Kellen Winslow. It's a world where Drew rediscovers his youth and wins two Super Bowls before retiring a Bill. It's a world where Tom Cousineau leads a Bills D so dominant that we pass on Bruce in '85 because what few 'needs' we have are on the offensive side of the ball. It's a world where Dennis Shaw's rookie year was only a GLIMPSE of the greatness to follow.

-

Yeah, it's difficult. Three-peating 7-9 doesn't scream "optimism." Look at it this way, though ... We were terrible in '85, mediocre in '86 and '87, and the late 80's and early 90's didn't turn out so bad. Keep the faith, man.

I was hoping for a new GM or VP capable of solving problems, offering advice, and adding dirrection.

I read an article where Mike Holmgren wanted out of coaching

I was having the same discussion with my wife, usually I look forward to the fall, now, not so much.

Ralph seems content to allow the stagnation to continue. Same losing coach while other teams are cleaning house.

I have been a huge fan for 42 years and I always bounce back after the Superbowl but I have serious doubts about motivating myself for the 2009 season.

I've got 30+ years of the same so I'm with you here. I can't recall a time when I've felt more hopeless for the future after a bad season. Usually there is some glimmer of hope to take away from the final few games but this year leaves me empty. With the status quo non-moves by Mr. Wilson I believe its going to take luck and a few miracles to turn this team into one that can contend for a wild card or division title.

The front office simply lacks enough 'football people'. Donahoe was no shinning star in his time here but at least he had an idea of how to build a front office, coaching staff, and team on the field. The view I get of the Bills at present is they're being run like a Ma and Pa country store at a time the rest of the league has evolved to being run like Walmart.

And Juron? We've said it all here already. For an Ivy League graduate there's just no learning curve here. The lights just never going to go 'on' with him.

I've got 30+ years of the same so I'm with you here. I can't recall a time when I've felt more hopeless for the future after a bad season. Usually there is some glimmer of hope to take away from the final few games but this year leaves me empty. With the status quo non-moves by Mr. Wilson I believe its going to take luck and a few miracles to turn this team into one that can contend for a wild card or division title.

The front office simply lacks enough 'football people'. Donahoe was no shinning star in his time here but at least he had an idea of how to build a front office, coaching staff, and team on the field. The view I get of the Bills at present is they're being run like a Ma and Pa country store at a time the rest of the league has evolved to being run like Walmart.

And Juron? We've said it all here already. For an Ivy League graduate there's just no learning curve here. The lights just never going to go 'on' with him.

Bill Belichick took him to school in the last game, I thought it was embarrassing

I was having the same discussion with my wife, usually I look forward to the fall, now, not so much.

Ralph seems content to allow the stagnation to continue. Same losing coach while other teams are cleaning house.

I have never been this down on the Bills.

If the talent was poor, I could live with it better,

Give it some time....I think we're all still feeling the depression of witnessing a season of missed opportunity combined with the confirmation that nothing will change into next year. Heck, I usually get depressed come playoff time when my team desperately needs to be there.

About all I can tell you is to wait & see what happens with the draft and free agency. We can *hope* the personnel will have some positive additions. I don't see any changes in the coaching patterns, unfortunately.

Give it some time....I think we're all still feeling the depression of witnessing a season of missed opportunity combined with the confirmation that nothing will change into next year. Heck, I usually get depressed come playoff time when my team desperately needs to be there.

About all I can tell you is to wait & see what happens with the draft and free agency. We can *hope* the personnel will have some positive additions. I don't see any changes in the coaching patterns, unfortunately.

I am sure you are right.

My biggest concern is coaching and time management

I feel your pain. I've got 25+ years of the same as well. Right now I have no excitement or optimism for the 2009 season.

I think they just need to scrape bottom for one more year under Jauron, then he'll get run out of town and we can get behind a new regime. Looking at the division, Brady might be done and I don't see Belicheat staying more than a couple more years. Parcells usually sticks around for three years, and next year will be year two. The Jests are the Jests. So, let's have a couple beers and watch this team implode in 2009 under Jauron, chuckle at the mistakes and blunders, and look forward to 2010. Hey they're gonna suck, but they've sucked for years and you've watched them. What's another year of futility? Would you rather watch them stumble through another loss on a Sunday afternoon or spend that time with your family? It's a no-brainer.

As much as I am disgusted by this owner for keeping Jauron and his staff there is a glimmer of hope for this team next year.

First of all this team has an excellent pair of running backs in Lynch and Jackson, who were greatly underused for most of the season.Also, the team needs a dominating fullback which they didn't have.Two should be on the FA market this year in Loranzo Neal and Tony Richardson. They also need a really decent TE,they may have one in Fine already but I'd rather see them acquire someone like Bo Scaife from Tenn.

They need to also address the center position because when Kris Jenkins is fully healthy,Duke Preston can't handle him,for that matter in the first Jets game 3 Bills couldn't handle him.

Next they need to change up the game plans and play calling to favor a power running game,one that actually works. Take some hard looks at the counter run style of the Atlanta offense and the Raven's unbalanced line offense and steal some of their plays,they worked and helped keep opposing defenses from always going all out after the QB.

The OC, Turk Schonert needs to consult with someone like Steve Mariucci who uses play charts that will greatly help in certain down and distance and give you the best play with the highest percentage for whatever situation your in. That way stupid calls like running the ball with 22 seconds left on the clock and no time outs won't happen again. When it gets close like that send in two plays,both passes,with no time outs you cannot afford to gamble trying to get the ball centered for the kicker.

The Bills need to focus on a pass rushing LB or DE in this up coming draft,opposing QB's had way to much time to throw against the Bills. To be honest I can't stand the Tampa 2 defense,the only guy who can run it properly is the guy who invented it and that's Monte Kiffen.Unless the Bills can find another Bob Sanders for safety I really wish they would rethink that defense.

If Jauron can understand he doesn't have Payton Manning or Drew Brees as his QB and run the ball more effectively at the beginning of the season the bills might actually win some games this year,maybe even beat Belichick if they can keep the ball away from Brady or Cassel by running it.You know,kinda the like way the NY Giants did in super bowl 25 :unsure:

Don't be so down.

There are a few good things to take into '09.

1) you already know the Bills will go 7-9, so you do not need to be let down when they miss the play-offs.

2) There is nothing better to do on Sundays at 1pm than watch football. It's still fun to watch, and reffering to #1 will make '09 less stressful when the Bills screw up.

3) Going to a Bills game, win or lose, is still one of the most enjoyable experinces in sports. It's also very reasonably priced, compaired to other sporting events.

4) It will get better. Ralph will not own the team forever. When Adelphia went under, everyone thought the Sabers were gone. Galisano came in and the 4 years he's owned the team, they have made it to the conference finals twice.

5) It is the NFL and the phrase any given Sunday does apply. Trent could figure out how to beat the 3-4 and become a pro-bowler. Or Trent could get injured and the Bills could find that their late round/undrafted back-up QB is the next Tony Romo/Tom Brady.

I agree with everyone, but here's the sad reality.

With Uncle Ralphie pulling the strings and owning the check book we are an 8-8 team at best. He will continue to mingle as he believes he is the GM and has the neccessary football smarts.

Being born in Buffalo (no matter where we now reside), no matter what happens, no matter who is the coach, no matter how many negative articles get posted, the bills are part of us from birth and we will never leave them no matter what.

That is the true reality. I am a fan for life and will make the best of it and stay as positive as I can.

I agree with everyone, but here's the sad reality.

With Uncle Ralphie pulling the strings and owning the check book we are an 8-8 team at best. He will continue to mingle as he believes he is the GM and has the neccessary football smarts.

Being born in Buffalo (no matter where we now reside), no matter what happens, no matter who is the coach, no matter how many negative articles get posted, the bills are part of us from birth and we will never leave them no matter what.

That is the true reality. I am a fan for life and will make the best of it and stay as positive as I can.

You hit the nail right on the head. I was born in 1961 and have childhood memories of rookie Dennis Shaw usurping Dan Darragh as the starting quarterback. I remember watching the aging Ron McDole and Mike Stratton, Edgar Chandler and that whole cast.

For better or worse I'm a lifer and will probably be buried with some sort of Bills merchandise in my casket.

You're also spot on about Ralph Wilson. Here's something I recently researched and sent to another Bills' fan/friend:

The glory years of the 1990's were an aberration based on the years before and after them. We've largely been a mediocre organization and the constant has been Ralph Wilson. As they say, it all starts at the top. The Bills are in the midst of their 49th season. Their all-time record is 347-383-8 at the moment.

They've had four periods of success. Lou Saban's first tenure (2 AFL Championships), his second tenure which was concurrent with the O.J. Simpson era, the Chuck Knox era, and the Marv Levy/Wade Phillips era. All four of those coaches finished their Bills coaching careers with winning percentages.

The Bills have had a winning record 20 times in 49 seasons. Not terrible you might say except that the aforementioned four coaches account for 19 of the 20. If you take away the seasons in which they were coached by Saban, Knox, Levy, and Phillips, the Bills have only had one winning season. That was in 2004 when they finished 9-7 under Mike Mularkey. Moreover, those coaches had an aggregate record of 246-170-8. Take away those coaches and the Bills are 101-213, a winning percentage of .322. That means that in 29 of 49 seasons (59% of all seasons), the Bills have on average, won less than one third of their games. With today's 16 game season that equates to an average record of 5-11...in 29 of 49 seasons.

Now as he nears the end, Ralph is doing little to keep the team in Buffalo. The Toronto experiment can be viewed as a step out the door, an attempt to maintain the team's viability in Buffalo, or both. It's debatable. The only thing clear from the Toronto experiment is that Wilson is now raking in even more money than previously.

Face it fellow Bills fans. We love our team and we always will, but our owner of nearly 50 years has consistently provided us with a less than mediocre football team. I find it very hard to believe that the team will outperform its ownership. That seldom happens.

You hit the nail right on the head. I was born in 1961 and have childhood memories of rookie Dennis Shaw usurping Dan Darragh as the starting quarterback. I remember watching the aging Ron McDole and Mike Stratton, Edgar Chandler and that whole cast.

For better or worse I'm a lifer and will probably be buried with some sort of Bills merchandise in my casket.

You're also spot on about Ralph Wilson. Here's something I recently researched and sent to another Bills' fan/friend:

The glory years of the 1990's were an aberration based on the years before and after them. We've largely been a mediocre organization and the constant has been Ralph Wilson. As they say, it all starts at the top. The Bills are in the midst of their 49th season. Their all-time record is 347-383-8 at the moment.

They've had four periods of success. Lou Saban's first tenure (2 AFL Championships), his second tenure which was concurrent with the O.J. Simpson era, the Chuck Knox era, and the Marv Levy/Wade Phillips era. All four of those coaches finished their Bills coaching careers with winning percentages.

The Bills have had a winning record 20 times in 49 seasons. Not terrible you might say except that the aforementioned four coaches account for 19 of the 20. If you take away the seasons in which they were coached by Saban, Knox, Levy, and Phillips, the Bills have only had one winning season. That was in 2004 when they finished 9-7 under Mike Mularkey. Moreover, those coaches had an aggregate record of 246-170-8. Take away those coaches and the Bills are 101-213, a winning percentage of .322. That means that in 29 of 49 seasons (59% of all seasons), the Bills have on average, won less than one third of their games. With today's 16 game season that equates to an average record of 5-11...in 29 of 49 seasons.

Now as he nears the end, Ralph is doing little to keep the team in Buffalo. The Toronto experiment can be viewed as a step out the door, an attempt to maintain the team's viability in Buffalo, or both. It's debatable. The only thing clear from the Toronto experiment is that Wilson is now raking in even more money than previously.

Face it fellow Bills fans. We love our team and we always will, but our owner of nearly 50 years has consistently provided us with a less than mediocre football team. I find it very hard to believe that the team will outperform its ownership. That seldom happens.

I couldn't agree more... while I thank the man for bringing a franchise here in 1959, I definitely think he owes the city of Buffalo and all the die hard fans that have been there year after miserable year one.

Like PLEASE sell the team to the Jim Kelly group before its too late, you are no longer fit to run a successful football operation.

Ralph is coasting and we are suffering for it.

We Will Not move up in the draft.

WE Will Not bring in anything better than 2nd tier talent in FA.

WE Will Not be competative in our division

Something drastic needs to happen. We all know what it is. No one lives forever.

The 2nd we draft a big time pass rusher or sign a decent FA, you will all be back. We're Bills fans, we're diehards.

Here's the thing I think people are overlooking. I think Russ Brandon is trying to prove make a name at COO or whatever he is. The guy was very involved in free agency last year and signed soem decent players to fill some needs (Mitchell and Johnson). To top things off, he made a great move in acquiring one of the best DTs in football in Stroud. The Bills were also trying to get Gonzalez. To me, if a franchise really doesn't care about winning, why do they make these moves?