What could Jauron learn from Lindy Ruff??

B-T-W this post does not suggest that Ruff is without his own areas to improve. With that said, this is what I believe Dick Jauron could learn from Lindy Ruff:

• After poor play make your team practice harder.
  • Make adjustments in the game by observing what is working and sticking with it
  • Show some emotion once and a while - if it appears you do not care neither will your team
  • Do not be afraid to take your veterans or key players and call them out for less than acceptable play. This does not need to be done in the open (in the press) but it certainly should be done behind closed doors.
  • Do not ignore your fan base
  • Do not be afraid to hold your front office accountable - while it is hard to say I really believe Ruff almost quit after the Briere and Drury screw up a couple of years ago.
  • Do not put your players in a position where they are asked to do more than they are capable of (i.e. asking JP to win the Jests game for you).
  • Spend a little less time in the film room looking at your own team and more time thinking creatively about what you can change to play to the strengths of your given squad.
  • I'll repeat it again... demonstrate some friggin leadership .. the coach isn't always supposed to be the nice guy that props his players up.

We're stuck with Jauron so he must learn to improve. Coughlin did it in NY we can only hope Jauron will do it in Buffalo. What are your thoughts?

B-T-W this post does not suggest that Ruff is without his own areas to improve. With that said, this is what I believe Dick Jauron could learn from Lindy Ruff:

Interesting that Jerry Sullivan points to Ruff as a person who jauron could learn from. While i am not a Jerry fan - he does make some good points here.

Jerry Sullivan - Buffalo News

• Make adjustments in the game by observing what is working and sticking with it
  • Show some emotion once and a while - if it appears you do not care neither will your team
  • Do not be afraid to take your veterans or key players and call them out for less than acceptable play. This does not need to be done in the open (in the press) but it certainly should be done behind closed doors.
  • Do not be afraid to hold your front office accountable - while it is hard to say I really believe Ruff almost quit after the Briere and Drury screw up a couple of years ago.
  • Do not put your players in a position where they are asked to do more than they are capable of (i.e. asking JP to win the Jests game for you).
  • Spend a little less time in the film room looking at your own team and more time thinking creatively about what you can change to play to the strengths of your given squad.
  • I'll repeat it again... demonstrate some friggin leadership .. the coach isn't always supposed to be the nice guy that props his players up.

We're stuck with Jauron so he must learn to improve. Coughlin did it in NY we can only hope Jauron will do it in Buffalo. What are your thoughts?

I wish Lindy could coach both the Sabres & Bills

As long as it isn't to force the best player in the league (Hasek) out of town. Oh thats right, we don't even have a player on the Bills that is even close to the best at his position, so no worries there.

I blame that one on Regis for not getting enough talent around Hasek. With Hasek on the Sabres, we should have won multiple Stanley Cups. Thanks Regis & family, I hope you're all enjoying your jail cells!

Can I get him for plagiarism? - The post was pretty much ignored on the board when I put it out there. So if he payed any attention to that he would not have been so keen to use the thought.

<_<

Nah, I was kidding about that. While some writers/broadcasters do read the board on a regular basis, I don't think Jerry's one of them ...

Maybe he can hope that the NFL adds more playoff spots liek the NHL, where half the teams get to play in the postseason. I think Ruff is a really good coach, but he has laso missed the playoffs in about half his seasons in a legue that allows more teams in.

I do, however, wish Jauron would be a little tougher with players like Ruff is. I don't know if calling NFL players out in the papers would be as effective as it is in the NHL, but Jauron gives too many of his players the benefit of the doubt.

Oh thats right, we don't even have a player on the Bills that is even close to the best at his position, so no worries there.

aww Moorman? Rosssccooooooooeeee?

I was just thinking about your statement, and yeah, you're right, because that's all I could come up with.

Also, I don't know why but it made me think of when we had Sam Gash (was that his name? The sweet FB who blocked well?) Anyway, that was sweet.

Interesting that Jerry Sullivan points to Ruff as a person who jauron could learn from. While i am not a Jerry fan - he does make some good points here.

Jerry Sullivan - Buffalo News

One of the best Sullivan articles I've read.

Lindy coaches with tough love - if you don't put in the effort, you don't play. Jauron just coaches with love.

One of the best Sullivan articles I've read.

Lindy coaches with tough love - if you don't put in the effort, you don't play. Jauron just coaches with love.

I would not call what Jauron as coaching with love .... However, too your point he does not foster a desire to win simply because he is too soft. He acts as though he is coaching a little league team where he is supposed to be teaching sportsmanship and speading attention around equally. I know we see essentially nothing that really happens between him and the players but judging by results there is no accountability. He excused away Trent Edwards horrible performance in the Cleveland game (maybe not so behind closed doors) and his response to the lack of offensive performance in the SF game was tepid.

I do not support a yelling maniac or Tuna like press conferences where he just shoots his mouth off but at least say something to the fan base that indicates there is an atmosphere of accountibility.

I would not call what Jauron as coaching with love .... However, too your point he does not foster a desire to win simply because he is too soft. He acts as though he is coaching a little league team where he is supposed to be teaching sportsmanship and speading attention around equally. I know we see essentially nothing that really happens between him and the players but judging by results there is no accountability. He excused away Trent Edwards horrible performance in the Cleveland game (maybe not so behind closed doors) and his response to the lack of offensive performance in the SF game was tepid.

That's one of the better ways of describing Jauron's style that I've seen. :unsure:

What was so maddening about the SF game was that Trent came off the KC game playing well and I figured that gave him some confidence. It tends to give more credibility to the injury, but I still don't know if I buy it.

That's another thing Jauron has done....give excuses for poor performances. I'm sure that no coach wants to call out his players to the public, but extreme cases may call for it. If you quietly tell a player he has to get better or else, it's a completely different effect on their motivation than if they hear it on ESPN.

That's another thing Jauron has done....give excuses for poor performances. I'm sure that no coach wants to call out his players to the public, but extreme cases may call for it. If you quietly tell a player he has to get better or else, it's a completely different effect on their motivation than if they hear it on ESPN.

I am not so sure that it even has to be the ESPN route but you know what ... you bench TE at the half in the Cleveland game. I know it is a delicate situation because you 1) do not have a decent back-up QB and 2) if by some miracle JP plays well you do not want a QB controversy. However, what does it say to the rest of the team and the league when your QB is sucking so bad that even he is shaken and can't perform? At least sit him on the bench for a series - do something to say - get your head out of your butt and back into the game. Also let him know that he has to earn the "c" on his jersey through performance and he is not guaranteed a starting role - accountability.

What has Jauron learned in 8 seasons as a HC? Play calling? Clock management? Facial expressions?