Wow! How Bad Has Hollywood Sunk?

Dante

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare you blaspheme Anchorman? Also, it was made 5 years ago but good try though.

Sorry I thought it was recent. On the positive side, we did watch Burn After Reading Blue Ray edition(which we saw at the theater ) and Son Of Rambow which also was very good.

You guys who only watch mainstream films need to quit yer bitchin' and put in a little time checking out the indy scene. Having a marketing budget and/or big stars does not necessarily equate to entertaining movies. It's like someone who listens to only top 40 music stations complaining that there's no good music to listen to.

That being said, Anchorman RULES!

PS. For those of you who haven't seen Band of Brothers, Amazon has the entire series on blu-ray for like $30. I'm on episode 8 (of 10) and it's very, very good.

Ain't that the truth. Constantly looking at the indie movies at Netflix to look for hidden gems. They are my fav. But try to get your 14 year old to watch them.

Ain't that the truth. Constantly looking at the indie movies at Netflix to look for hidden gems. They are my fav. But try to get your 14 year old to watch them.

Yeah, I can see how that would definitely be more of a challenge.

You are not suggesting that people on this board are stuck up or act as snobs are you??? pure blasphemy....take it back.....I drive a nicer car than you and my ex-wife/girlfriend are way hotter than Jennifer Aniston....as are all the women in my neighborhood

People who say they didn't like Anchorman are just stuck up and too afraid to admit that immature humor can still be hilarious.

You are not suggesting that people on this board are stuck up or act as snobs are you??? pure blasphemy....take it back.....I drive a nicer car than you and my ex-wife/girlfriend are way hotter than Jennifer Aniston....as are all the women in my neighborhood

My car is worth more than your house AND I have an Ivy League caliber education!

OH Yeah??? Well my house is worth more than your neighbor's son's car, and I go to schools that can afford landscapers to remove the ivy.....SO THERE!!!!!!!

And... I used to know someone who knows some guy who worked for a guy that once drank with someone who worked on the buffalo bills staff back in the 60's and he is pretty sure that Dick Jauron prefers Pepsi to Coke.....I stake my reputation on that piece of information....

My car is worth more than your house AND I have an Ivy League caliber education!

OH Yeah??? Well my house is worth more than your neighbor's son's car, and I go to schools that can afford landscapers to remove the ivy.....SO THERE!!!!!!!

And... I used to know someone who knows some guy who worked for a guy that once drank with someone who worked on the buffalo bills staff back in the 60's and he is pretty sure that Dick Jauron prefers Pepsi to Coke.....I stake my reputation on that piece of information....

Bahh... I got you all beat. My neighborhood is so well off, our garbage men use Rolls Royces for garbage trucks.

I've got a photo of me with a Jill on each arm. Beat that!

DOROTHY MANTOOTH IS A SAINT!

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing. How 'bout we get you in your p.j.'s and we hit the hay.

Baxter. One of the five greatest movie dogs. Ever.

It's an analogy I've lived, lol. Several years ago, anyone who saw my CD collection would find a bunch of mainstream artists that everyone and their mother knew about. Fast forward to today and I've got all sorts of stuff that you'll never hear on the Ryan Seacrest show. I've grown to love music in a way I never have before, too, cause I don't feel as if a playlist is being dictated to me anymore. It was my own fault, but when you only focus on pop music, you're much less likely to find great stuff that really appeals to who you are and what you like. The same holds true of movies. I give Netflix a ton of credit because they not only carry just about every title on earth, they also do a great job of making the site interactive where they can help expose you to the broadest range of film possible. It's terrific software, and it's one of the most valuable tools I have to keep my viewing list full of really interesting stuff.

I also give a LOT of credit to the many TBD'ers who participate in music threads. I don't know of any other forum where its members have such amazing and diverse taste in music. A few guys, SDS, Madcap, and Fez, took the time to actually send me stuff in the mail to help me in my cause. There are a few really great music threads from years past on here with a ton of great ideas for expanding your horizons. I've really benefitted from those!

American Idol? :D

I am by no means a "stuck up snob". I enjoy the humor of the Jackass series and quote Beavis and Butthead weekly - but two of the WORST movies I have ever seen that were hyped as "SUPER DUPER HILARIOUS":

Anchorman (literally turned it off about 1 hour in)

Wedding Crashers (fell asleep)

Did your husband think they were funny?

American Idol? :D

Actually I was referring to his top 40 radio show....I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure he's the guy who does it now.

You won't catch me hacking on AI, I love that show LMAO

You didn't like Anchorman? Perhaps Santa should have put a sense of humor in your stocking.

Exactly my point. I do have a sense of humor and I'm not above wacky, silly movies. But like any genre of flick, there are good and horrible. Example of good? Happy Gilmore, Superbad, a few of the Cheech And Chong series. But no one can tell me Anchorman was funny on any level and is a perfect example of really low standards of comedy. Will Ferrell, Jack Black and Whoppi have to be the most unfunny people in entertainment. Clearly they have to be related to somebody.

Will Ferrell, Jack Black and Whoppi have to be the most unfunny people in entertainment. Clearly they have to be related to somebody.

I tend to agree with you about the second two...I'll watch (and probably laugh) at anything Will Ferrell does, though. I know his humor is polarizing, however.

What do you think about Steve Carell?

I am by no means a "stuck up snob". I enjoy the humor of the Jackass series and quote Beavis and Butthead weekly - but two of the WORST movies I have ever seen that were hyped as "SUPER DUPER HILARIOUS":

Anchorman (literally turned it off about 1 hour in)

Wedding Crashers (fell asleep)

Bingo. Immature humor is still supposed to be funny. I'd hardly call Benny Hill or B&B "snob" humor, but they were hysterical. The problem is that Hollywood doesn't bother making funny stuff all that often because idiots will gobble up the same recycled nonsense time after time. Anchorman and Wedding Crashers are perfect examples.