Why is Matt Millen on Football Night in America?

Steely Dan

Matt Millen  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What thing would be better than Millen in the studio

• A pile of dung
    • A box of rocks
    • A grain of sand
    • Incessant crowing from a chicken
    • A bucket of dead fish
    • Anything and I do mean anything else!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap. I was thinking the same thing. The were saying that he was going to be on the air, and I was like why? He's a moron who over an eight year period took a terrible team and somehow made it worse, culminating in a 0-16 season. A fired GM retard is on NBC.

On second thought, he fits in with the other retards: Bettis, Barber and Olberman. Terrible crew.

Of all the people to hire to be an announcer on a pre game show,winner of the NFL biggest loser award :worthy:

Seriously offended me that he was on that show,I can't even imagine how Lions fans must have felt...

It didn't offend me but made me think life is all about who you know and who you blow.

How else could you justify Matt Millen being called for the job?

Seriously, think of the many coaches who were just eliminated from the playoffs. I could think of 5 that would be interesting to hear. Oh well.

He was an announcer before he became a GM with Detroit. I'm sure that played a part.

That probably played a part in it but most football fans, the many millions of people watching the show, think of Millen as one of the worst GMs of all time. He turned the Lions into an absolute laughing stock.

It's hard to take anything he says seriously.

That probably played a part in it but most football fans, the many millions of people watching the show, think of Millen as one of the worst GMs of all time. He turned the Lions into an absolute laughing stock.

There's a lot of under the table things going on. I believe Donahoe was feeding Mortensen info when he was here. I'm sure Mort and the guys at ESPN didn't all the sudden lose contact with Donahoe when he left them to come to Buffalo. I'm sure it's the same with Millen. Doesn't matter what the fans think, how else did Millen stay a GM so long?

There's a lot of under the table things going on. I believe Donahoe was feeding Mortensen info when he was here. I'm sure Mort and the guys at ESPN didn't all the sudden lose contact with Donahoe when he left them to come to Buffalo. I'm sure it's the same with Millen. Doesn't matter what the fans think, how else did Millen stay a GM so long?

I suppose, but what could Matt Millen possibly offer at his position? NBC and the execs have to know the mans credibility is at an all time low. Even the most casual football fan would know the man is a joke in most football circles.

That's why he was offensive to me,what could that clown say that would be worth listening to? I turned off the volume while waiting for the game to start.

Whatl I remember of him is what Steve Mariucci stated about him,as the head coach with the scouts and draft crew for the Lions,they would be going over draft picks and he would ignore all their advice and take whomever he wanted. Mariucci was about as handcuffed a coach as there ever will be in a system. He brought Mariucci into the Lions to fix/help Joey Harrington another of Millen's first round draft busts.

Why the owner of the lions hired him with no previous front office experience whatsoever and paid him 5 mill a year still remains a mystery to many,he was a broadcast announcer for games previous to working for the Lions.

Do you not think the skill set is different for a GM and an Analyst? Or do you chose to ignore the numerous HOF player/coach analysts who never have anything interesting to say, ever?

The skill set is different. That's obvious. That's not the point. It's about credibility.

The fact that "numerous HOF player/coach analysts who never have anything interesting to say" means nothing.

As I mentioned, credibility plays a role in this. Nobody watching the show cares about what Millen has to say. Unless you do. And if you do, you seriously have low standards. Most people watching the show are likely asking themselves, what is this man doing in this position, even if he has done it before and has the ability to communicate effectively. Quite simply, he's a joke.

The skill set is different. That's obvious. That's not the point. It's about credibility.

The fact that "numerous HOF player/coach analysts who never have anything interesting to say" means nothing.

As I mentioned, credibility plays a role in this. Nobody watching the show cares about what Millen has to say. Unless you do. And if you do, you seriously have low standards. Most people watching the show are likely asking themselves, what is this man doing in this position, even if he has done it before and has the ability to effectively communicate. Quite simply, he's a joke.

I'm not questioning that lots of people are going to react that way, which is why I as NBC wouldn't hire him. I am questioning the stupidity of such a reaction.

If you want to take him less seriously than Emmitt Smith (or just about any other analyst) because no owner was dumb enough to hire them to draft/build a team, then that's your prerogative. I don't happen to share that.

I'm not questioning that lots of people are going to react that way, which is why I as NBC wouldn't hire him. I am questioning the stupidity of such a reaction.

If you want to take him less seriously than Emmitt Smith (or just about any other analyst) because no owner was dumb enough to hire them to draft/build a team, then that's your prerogative. I don't happen to share that.

Stupidity? I think that's harsh.

People don't remember Matt Millen for his playing days and the Super Bowl rings he has, people remember him for the debacle he's responsible for in Detroit.

People remember guys like Emmitt Smith and Jarome Bettis for their playing days and both have Super Bowl rings as well.

There's a difference.

Stupidity? I think that's harsh.

People don't remember Matt Millen for his playing days and the Super Bowl rings he has, people remember him for the debacle he's responsible for in Detroit.

People remember guys like Emmitt Smith and Jarome Bettis for their playing days and both have Super Bowl rings as well.

There's a difference.

For the record, I do agree with you. I trust his analysis and opinion as much as I do my dog's.