Aaron Schobel article

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Schobel having surgery and missing a chunk of next year will be a set back to the team...I just think he is still young enough to rebound from this injury and be a factor on this team. He has been pretty consistent, and even in his down year last year he practically tripled Julius Peppers output during the same season and he still made the Pro Bowl...and that was his down year statistically, yet was still solid.

But, if I am wrong and he can't rebound, then I think we move on and replace him.

Let me add this to be a little clearer...

If we pick up a quality DE in FA or in the draft, and then have a chance at add a second one to replace Schobel or go after a TE, LB, OL, S, or even QB then I would hands down fill one of those than try and replace Schobel, at least right now. Those are more pressing needs as Schobel even at 90% or even 80% is still a quality starter...maybe not an anchor of the D, but still a quality starter, especially with his run D...

Yes, I've made other Schobel posts, but when I read the article, I had to make another thread to discuss the possible offseason surgery issues. I know you like Schobel and when he was healthy, he was a good player but even still, he wasn't worth the $8.7 million a year. IMO, it's time to cut him loose and move on.

Yeah I know, and I know you are ready to move on...lol...I was just joking around with ya when I said another pile on Schobel thread...

I am on the "not ready to retire Schobel" bus and you are on the "I think he is done" bus ... lol....

its all good... :devil:

Yeah I know, and I know you are ready to move on...lol...I was just joking around with ya when I said another pile on Schobel thread...

I am on the "not ready to retire Schobel" bus and you are on the "I think he is done" bus ... lol....

its all good... :devil:

I just wish Ralph would get on the "Fire Jauron" bus...lol

We don't need 2 DE's, we need one. Keep Kelsay as a backup, dump Denney, bring Schobel back, and add another effective DE on the other side and we will have a really good front line (assuming everyone is healthy).

We don't know yet if we need one or two. That article was pretty clear that if his rehab and healing haven't progressed by Feb. 1, he could be looking at surgery, another 6+ months of rehab, and a very good chance that a player on the wrong side of 30.

Let me add this to be a little clearer...

If we pick up a quality DE in FA or in the draft, and then have a chance at add a second one to replace Schobel or go after a TE, LB, OL, S, or even QB then I would hands down fill one of those than try and replace Schobel, at least right now. Those are more pressing needs as Schobel even at 90% or even 80% is still a quality starter...maybe not an anchor of the D, but still a quality starter, especially with his run D...

Makes sense. I wouldn't want two top-end DE's drafted or signed at the expense of filling another hole, but they do need to have a contingency plan in case AS comes back and is more Chris Kelsay than Aaron Schobel.

I just wish Ralph would get on the "Fire Jauron" bus...lol

:devil:

I am not as down on DJ as you and some others, but man, there are a lot of quality coaches out there right now. Here is the one silver lining I see happening...

If DJ flounders next year (the schedule appears to be a difficult one next year) it is a strong possibility that Cowher, Shannahan, and even Billick and Mariucci will still be available. It will actually increase the odds of landing Cowher because the 2 jobs he is the most interested likely wont be available next year (Jets and Browns) and he has made it pretty clear he wants to wait one more season before he returns to coaching since this is daughters last year of high school.

I think Shannahan takes a year off too. Throw in Holmgren too next year as he said he wants to take a season off. If we don't have a winning season next year I just don't believe DJ would be back again and the coaching pool may be deep still, if not deeper.

:devil:

I am not as down on DJ as you and some others, but man, there are a lot of quality coaches out there right now. Here is the one silver lining I see happening...

If DJ flounders next year (the schedule appears to be a difficult one next year) it is a strong possibility that Cowher, Shannahan, and even Billick and Mariucci will still be available. It will actually increase the odds of landing Cowher because the 2 jobs he is the most interested likely wont be available next year (Jets and Browns) and he has made it pretty clear he wants to wait one more season before he returns to coaching since this is daughters last year of high school.

I think Shannahan takes a year off too. Throw in Holmgren too next year as he said he wants to take a season off. If we don't have a winning season next year I just don't believe DJ would be back again and the coaching pool may be deep still, if not deeper.

I still think Ralph still feels burned by Donahoe, Phillips and Saban and will be reluctant to bring in a good quality coach and/or GM. It would be great if we could land one of the above mentioned coaches as I think they could at least lead us to the playoffs, something we won't see as long as Dickie is the HC.

He's going to be 32 years old next season and is coming off two of the worst years of his career. I'm not sure I'd unload him, simply because they have nothing to replace him with, but evidence is mounting that he's done.

I agree that we need a solid replacement first before Schobel gets the boot. Like another poster has said, Schobel doesn't like to show up for off-season workouts which shows a lack of committment on his part to the team. And like you said, 32 years old next season, coming off the 2 worst years of his career and his current injury status.

I agree that we don't need average players and throw them pro-bowl type of money.

But do you have any confidence that if they decided they needed 2 DEs in the offseasn that isn't EXACTLY what they would do - completely overpay for average players? Good Lord - another 2 Chris Kelsays would kill us....

But do you have any confidence that if they decided they needed 2 DEs in the offseasn that isn't EXACTLY what they would do - completely overpay for average players? Good Lord - another 2 Chris Kelsays would kill us....

If they were able to get Peppers or Suggs then nobody could say that were paying an average player pro-bowl type money. It would be nice if we picked up a DE in FA plus drafted a DE in the 1st round as well.

If they were able to get Peppers or Suggs then nobody could say that were paying an average player pro-bowl type money. It would be nice if we picked up a DE in FA plus drafted a DE in the 1st round as well.

Peppers is, and will always be, a pipe dream as he is HIGHLY likely to stay in Carolina. Same goes for Haynesworth...but Suggs I think leaves Balt, so hopefully we pursue him hard and see what happens.

I would prefer Suggs over Peppers anyway as Peppers isnt a big factor in the run game and can dissappear at times. He is pretty much a finesse rusher like schobel has been, and I think Suggs brings a little more pop, attitude and swagger, something we sorely need. But of course I would be ecstatic if we got one of these two still.

No way do the Bills step in and spend the type of money a Suggs or a Peppers will command. When was the last time the Bills outbid everyone to secure the services of the best FA available at his position? Remember too that Suggs or Peppers want to play for a contender and the Bills aren't, so their offer would have to be substantially better than what a NE or a NYG would pay.

In the end the Bills brain trust (the huge amount of top talent evaluators in the inner circle) will pay a guy they think has good promise huge money to be medicore (just like Walker and Dockery).

No way do the Bills step in and spend the type of money a Suggs or a Peppers will command. When was the last time the Bills outbid everyone to secure the services of the best FA available at his position? Remember too that Suggs or Peppers want to play for a contender and the Bills aren't, so their offer would have to be substantially better than what a NE or a NYG would pay.

In the end the Bills brain trust (the huge amount of top talent evaluators in the inner circle) will pay a guy they think has good promise huge money to be medicore (just like Walker and Dockery).

Or Ko Simpson, don't you know...he's worth millions!! :devil:

If he needs surgery, why didn't he have it sometime during the season when Bills management knew he was going to be on IR.

Waiting until sometime in February to have surgery, plus 6 months of rehab will set him back big time. My point is, he's not worth the $8.7 million a year he's making, he's damaged goods and has lost a step.

I'm confused...is he getting 8.7 million dollars in yearly salary? After any re-signing bonus?