Lost in the coaching debacle ... is Trent Edwards the real deal?

Guest dog14787
Of course the number of hits a player takes and the talent surrounding him makes a difference, and in that respect the "system" can contribute to injuries. You wouldn't want Bledsoe running naked bootlegs (you hear that, Killdrive?) but again, Trent was only sacked 23 times this year. Some guys are injury prone, no matter what they do. And now that Trent has a concussion history we should be very concerned about his health.

On your second paragraph - I don't even know where to start. That sounds like a press release from his agent. It's Pollyanna fanspeak, nothing else.

When speaking on behalf of the Holy Trent one gets carried away sometimes :wallbash:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787
Absolutely, and that was what we kicked around yesterday in another thread. Bottom line is we are a cold-weather franchise in a mostly cold-weather division, and yet we are built and prepare like a dome team or a southern division team. We need to be a ball-control running team with a strong defense. I think Trent would be very good in that kind of system.

We seem to agree on one thing in that what we are doing now is wrong. :wallbash:

Actually, 19 teams lost their starting QB for at least one game. Good story on the subject here.

Hmmm....

Off the top of my head, these are the guys who did not miss a start due to injury:

Pennington

Favre

P. Manning

E. Manning

Rivers

Cutler

Garrard

Campbell

McNabb

Ryan

Rodgers

Delhomme

Brees

Warner

14 out of 32. Not quite half, but close.

First, Martz runs a variant of the Coryell/Zampese offense. That offense is a vertical passing game and a power running game. If you don't remember the Bills offense throwing a number of bombs, flags, deep crosses, deep outs, hitting the TE and RB 10-15 yards down the field and setting it all up by pounding the snot out of the defense with a punishing ground game and lots of play action, then you are not alone. And, you weren't watching the Coryell system.

Linehan did not run the Martz offense. When he was fired, the Rams switched back to that system to try to take better advantage of their personnel.

http://www.geocities.com/epark/raiders/foo...ll-offense.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...&id=2545442

Hmmm....

Off the top of my head, these are the guys who did not miss a start due to injury:

Pennington

Favre

P. Manning

E. Manning

Rivers

Cutler

Garrard

Campbell

McNabb

Ryan

Rodgers

Delhomme

Brees

Warner

Actually, I think that Big Ben started all 16 games for the Steelers as well.

And think about it, it goes beyond the 19 that missed full games. Big Ben was just carted off of the feild, P. manning had an infected knee which hampered him, and Delhomme/ Brees/ Warner/ McNabb/ Pennington/ Rivers all have an injury history. It comes with the position.

Add to that Rodgers had a seperated shoulder this year, and Farvre now has shoulder problems. The only QB who I don't remember being banged up is M. Ryan.

And think about it, it goes beyond the 19 that missed full games. Big Ben was just carted off of the feild, P. manning had an infected knee which hampered him, and Delhomme/ Brees/ Warner/ McNabb/ Pennington/ Rivers all have an injury history. It comes with the position.

Add to that Rodgers had a seperated shoulder this year, and Farvre now has shoulder problems. The only QB who I don't remember being banged up is M. Ryan.

It is more likely than not that the starting QB will miss one or more games each year. This makes it even more maddening that the Bills kept JP in the number two role. They got exactly what they should have expected from him - poor play.

First, Martz runs a variant of the Coryell/Zampese offense. That offense is a vertical passing game and a power running game. If you don't remember the Bills offense throwing a number of bombs, flags, deep crosses, deep outs, hitting the TE and RB 10-15 yards down the field and setting it all up by pounding the snot out of the defense with a punishing ground game and lots of play action, then you are not alone. And, you weren't watching the Coryell system.

Linehan did not run the Martz offense. When he was fired, the Rams switched back to that system to try to take better advantage of their personnel.

I believe Martz runs a hybrid of Corryell and Walsh's offense. The passing game is more vertical than Walsh's (as was Corryell's), but doesn't incorporate the power runing aspect of "Air Corryell".

I believe Martz runs a hybrid of Corryell and Walsh's offense. The passing game is more vertical than Walsh's (as was Corryell's), but doesn't incorporate the power runing aspect of "Air Corryell".

Not sure what you mean. Mike is pretty famous for having a highly dynamic system that he is constantly changing. His system is based on Zampese's system, but he doesn't put himself in a box. If you look at the old Rams offense, it is patently obvious that the principles of that offense was quick strike, vertical, and going over the top. They didn't pound it a lot with Faulk back in the day, but they did draft Steven Jackson later and he can pound the middle. (Edit:Faulk had 3 seasons with over 1300 yards rushing, so I'm not saying they didn't run the ball; rather, it wasn't a Joe Gibbs style pounding.)

The OP was trying to say Trent Edwards was injury prone because of "Martz' system" and that he'd be better off in a West Coast offense. Obviously, that makes no sense because Edwards wasn't sacked a lot nor did the Bills challenge the back end of the defense much at all this season -- even when WRs went deep and were open, the QB went short. I'm sort of inclined to just call their passing design a clusterpuck, actually. Schonert said he was going to keep the terminology and try to be more creative with it. I suspect he was trying to blend aspects of a stretch system with aspects of his West Coast-like background. Because the Bills offense really didn't seem to have any identity, the philosophy is muddled -- and perhaps not just to the fans in the seats.

BTW, just because the West Coast system is designed to be a short, ball-control passing system doesn't mean that one can't use other elements such as a power package or going over the top. Indeed, in the NFL, being versatile and being able to exploit the weaknesses of the defense is an obvious advantage over locking into a particular rut.

Guest dog14787

Towards the end of the 06 season the Bills offense came the closest to resembling Martz's original intention on how the offense should be ran. In 07 Fairchild tried to tone the offense down with disasterous results and the offense has gone down hill ever since. Do I think we run a typical Mike Martz offense? no, not even close now , but that is where our offense originated.

Towards the end of the 06 season the Bills offense came the closest to resembling Martz's original intention on how the offense should be ran. In 07 Fairchild tried to tone the offense down with disasterous results and the offense has gone down hill ever since. Do I think we run a typical Mike Martz offense? no, not even close now , but that is where our offense originated.
Agreed.

Thank you. :doh:

With Trent's style of play to date - safe, generally smart, takes what the D gives him when he's rushed, and able to make most of the throws when he has time (and confidence) - I really think he would be a very solid quarterback in something similar to what Pittsburgh runs - a lot of running, ball-control, power stuff - where they don't have to rely heavily on the QB, and the defense is good enough to bail out the offense when it struggles.

When speaking on behalf of the Holy Trent one gets carried away sometimes :lol:

Understood. :lol:

We seem to agree on one thing in that what we are doing now is wrong. :lol:

I really don't know why they don't look at Pittsburgh heavily and try to imitate what they do. (I also not a big fan of this bastardized Tampa-2 defensive system, but that's another rant for another time.) They could look at NE*'s offense but I think the P*ts just have a lot more talent all around, both on the field and on the sideline.

Hmmm....

Pennington

Favre

P. Manning

E. Manning

Rivers

Cutler

Garrard

Campbell

McNabb

Ryan

Rodgers

Delhomme

Brees

Warner

add in flacco and kerry collins..

With Trent's style of play to date - safe, generally smart, takes what the D gives him when he's rushed, and able to make most of the throws when he has time (and confidence) - I really think he would be a very solid quarterback in something similar to what Pittsburgh runs - a lot of running, ball-control, power stuff - where they don't have to rely heavily on the QB, and the defense is good enough to bail out the offense when it struggles.

With a smash mouth running game, defenses would simply have to play closer in. There would be no choice. This alone would open up more deep routes.

Worry not! Dick Levy will fix this with a new first round safety.