Time Warner to drop Viacom stations

Fezmid

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best part is that Jeff Simmermon, who claims to be the Director of Digital Communications at TWC said: "Sure, Viacom's got Colbert and the Daily Show, but they're available online for free. It's Bizarro-world economics. In what other world would you pay more for something that's free somewhere else?"

Ummm.... Aren't most shows available online for free nowadays? Doesn't that mean that people shouldn't pay TWC anything at all then? :thumbsup:

My favorite part is that they raised rates by $3/month, and Viacom is only asking for 25 cents/month. :thumbsup:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/30/viaco...e-warner-cable/

Too bad we can't get Earth to drop MTV. And VH1 is terrible too. No one cares about Nickelodeon. The only thing worth watching on Comedy Central is South Park and that's online.

Too bad we can't get Earth to drop MTV. And VH1 is terrible too. No one cares about Nickelodeon. The only thing worth watching on Comedy Central is South Park and that's online.

The only thing I watch on that is "Best Week Ever" and they ruined that by making it the Paul "I think I'm funny" Tompkins show. At least The Soup is still on.

I think a lot of parents would disagree with your Nick comments. And I know I disagree with your Comedy Central comment -- might be online, but so is almost every show.

I catch the occasional Fresh Prince rerun on some nickelodeon station. I'm sure they're on other networks too though (not that I have Time Warner).

WOW!!!! Thanks for setting me straight....I better stop watching Nick and Comedy Central...what the hell was I thinking? :worthy:

For those of you thinking about making the switch, I will warn you to be careful when talking to their sales people. They will misquote rates, and tell outright lies to get you to sign up. Their customer rep. assured me this very morning that they now offered Howard Stern On Demand. He even (supposedly) checked with his supervisor. This was a flat out lie. Verizon has no deal in any area to provide that service, but this dude was ready to have me cancel my cable and schedule an install based upon his lie.

Also, last week a friend had Verizon install FiOS TV and he had a similar experience. The phone rep told him about a deal that didn't exist to sign him up.

So if you are switching to FiOS because you think they will be better than TWC in terms of customer service, you should think twice.

During a re-run of "I Love Lucy" after the local noon news, a crawler wanted folks to call T-W and something named Bright House Network (?) to DEMAND your TV Land, Spike, and so on.

I would miss TV Land - escapism. :worthy:

Bright House is part of Time Warner and is a big cable provider in the Central Florida region, specifically Orlando and Tampa.

LIN TV started the revolution...now all the companies with agreements coming up are going to pull this crap. Don't worry though...when the Direct TV agreements come up...they'll do it to them too

Except for the fact that DirecTV and LIN already reached an agreement a few months before the TWC fiasco...

Are you saying that cable companies are allowed to raise their rates, but that the people who actually provide content aren't? :worthy:

I can accept your statements of opinion on MTV, VH1 and Comedy Central, dont share those opinions, but....what i was thanking you for was your 'absolute' statement .... "No one cares about Nick" ....I was just very surprised to read that. because i really thought I enjoyed Nickelodeon, (Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents are daily staples in my TV viewing). I was pointing out how much I appreciated you telling me I was actually living a lie.....a huge weight has been lifted for me....Thanks :beer:

Sorry I scarred you emotionally by pointing out how crappy those TV channels are.