How Many Games did Jauron Cost this Year

DFITZ1

Looking at play calling or game management decisions, I see DJ directly cost us 2 games,

1 - Cleveland, choosing to "settle" for a 47 yd FG when the prudent thing to do was to move closer (and the O was moving the ball)

2 - NY Jets@Buff - the all-time classic blunder. Calling for an ill fated JP pass when a working running game could have run out the clock.

Play calling and game management played a key role in

1 - Miami@Toronto - ill fated JP pass (there seems to be a theme going) to the end zone intercepted. Run was the way to go.

2 - NE@Buff - the recent "favorite" with the end of first half debacle.

Game strategizing move would be

1 - Miami@Miami - starting an injured Terrence McGee at CB lined up against Ginn who had a field day since McGee was by his own admission only 75-80%. After getting burned once, Jauron still kept McGee in and was burned to a crisp. One McGee fully recoved, no surprise he wasn't burned like that again.

I've noted 5 games, and believe at least 3 would have been won had DJ's decision followed conventional wisdom. As a stretch, one could say 4 games were lost on his account, and that would mean playoff berth. A coach costing 20-25% of your games like that cannot be on the sidelines of a championship team. Time for DJ to go.

If you can think of any DJ blunders I missed, fill us in. I'm sure there's more.

The Cleveland game was the best example you gave. Settling for a field goal of that distance was insane.

I'll give him a pass on the Jets game. Running the ball there guarantees nothing. Yeah, I know they were running the ball well...but they tried to WIN the game, not just let the game end. If they were up 4 there, a run was the call...but up only 3, I don't blame them for passing at all. Like any coaching move, it looked stupid because it didn't work, and in this case, the player executing it sh-- the bed in a way you wouldn't even expect a high school player to.

The pass in Toronto- wasn't that an audible? Losman said it was. I guess you could blame him for that too, for giving Losman audible power...but he's gotta be the only QB in the league dumb enough to audible from run to pass on 1st and goal from the 2.

The debacle at the end of the half in the New England game didn't matter. It was bad coaching for sure, made the team look like morons. Certainly didn't cost them a win though....they didn't have a prayer.

I think the most blatantly obvious case of bad coaching this season was one that you missed: the San Francisco game at home. Allowing his OC to only give Lynch one 4th quarter carry in a game where he averaged 8 yards per run, running Jackson (not Lynch) on a crucial 3rd and 1 deep in SF territory late in the game, then going for it on 4th down and failing. Inexplicably, with the score the same and 5 minutes left to play, they drive inside the 20 and go for a field goal (that missed, of course) instead of trying to tie the game. THAT was the best example of why Jauron needs to go that we've seen this season, IMO.

Looking at play calling or game management decisions, I see DJ directly cost us 2 games,

1 - Cleveland, choosing to "settle" for a 47 yd FG when the prudent thing to do was to move closer (and the O was moving the ball)

2 - NY Jets@Buff - the all-time classic blunder. Calling for an ill fated JP pass when a working running game could have run out the clock.

1 - Miami@Toronto - ill fated JP pass (there seems to be a theme going) to the end zone intercepted. Run was the way to go.

1 - Miami@Miami - starting an injured Terrence McGee at CB lined up against Ginn who had a field day since McGee was by his own admission only 75-80%. After getting burned once, Jauron still kept McGee in and was burned to a crisp. One McGee fully recoved, no surprise he wasn't burned like that again.

I've noted 5 games, and believe at least 3 would have been won had DJ's decision followed conventional wisdom. As a stretch, one could say 4 games were lost on his account, and that would mean playoff berth. A coach costing 20-25% of your games like that cannot be on the sidelines of a championship team. Time for DJ to go.

If you can think of any DJ blunders I missed, fill us in. I'm sure there's more.

Assuming that these were all mistakes, they didn't necessarily cost us the game. I didn't like the decision about the 47 yarder at Cleveland either, but I expected Lindell to make it. And there's no guarantee that we wouldn't have fumbled or had an interception if we had kept going.

And the other things are much the same. I didn't like the decisions, wouldn't have done any of them myself, but think it is to much to say that they cost us the game.

I'm a Losman fan, but still realize that he is early in his career and still very inconsistent. The fault for that play in the Jets game was Losman's, and of course good defense as well. I didn't like the call, but it could have succeeded with good execution.

If you are saying that you think that these are examples of bad judgment, I'd agree with that. That they cost us the games is really really reaching. But you also can't blame all of these on Jauron. He didn't call all of these plays. Schonert was responsible for some.

What is troubling, is there was at least that many examples of game day bumbling the previous two years...

Maybe Dick needs his own personal game day decision making assistant...I think Herm Edwards had one when he was in New York...he just doesn't seem to think ahead very well, when there is any pressure at all....

So in a game where 11 players run 50-60 offensive plays while another 11 players run 50-60 defensive plays for a total of 22 players executing 100-120 plays, you mean you can whittle an entire GAME down to ONE PLAY, then blame the COACH for the game's outcome?

What is troubling, is there was at least that many examples of game day bumbling the previous two years...

Maybe Dick needs his own personal game day decision making assistant...I think Herm Edwards had one when he was in New York...he just doesn't seem to think ahead very well, when there is any pressure at all....

If Herm had his own assistant for such things, I can remember a few times where that guy should have been fired.

You missed the 49er game where IIRC we had 3 trips to the red zone in the 2d half and scored a total of 3 points. Lynch was destroying them and he was repeatedly taken out of the lineup when we reached the red zone.

But as someone said, his inability to prepare his team, manage the game situations and react to what the other team was doing (all perfectly highlighted in the embarrassment last Sunday) is what is really responsible for all 9 losses.

So in a game where 11 players run 50-60 offensive plays while another 11 players run 50-60 defensive plays for a total of 22 players executing 100-120 plays, you mean you can whittle an entire GAME down to ONE PLAY, then blame the COACH for the game's outcome?

Quoting Leo Roth from the Rochester D/C

"...A good coach can win a team one or two extra games. But a bad coach unable to react can cost a team three or four wins. What happens Monday through Saturday isn't as important as what happens during those three highly emotional, intense hours on Sunday...."

Jauron falls in the latter category

The Cleveland game was the best example you gave. Settling for a field goal of that distance was insane.

I'll give him a pass on the Jets game. Running the ball there guarantees nothing. Yeah, I know they were running the ball well...but they tried to WIN the game, not just let the game end. If they were up 4 there, a run was the call...but up only 3, I don't blame them for passing at all. Like any coaching move, it looked stupid because it didn't work, and in this case, the player executing it sh-- the bed in a way you wouldn't even expect a high school player to.

The pass in Toronto- wasn't that an audible? Losman said it was. I guess you could blame him for that too, for giving Losman audible power...but he's gotta be the only QB in the league dumb enough to audible from run to pass on 1st and goal from the 2.

The debacle at the end of the half in the New England game didn't matter. It was bad coaching for sure, made the team look like morons. Certainly didn't cost them a win though....they didn't have a prayer.

I think the most blatantly obvious case of bad coaching this season was one that you missed: the San Francisco game at home. Allowing his OC to only give Lynch one 4th quarter carry in a game where he averaged 8 yards per run, running Jackson (not Lynch) on a crucial 3rd and 1 deep in SF territory late in the game, then going for it on 4th down and failing. Inexplicably, with the score the same and 5 minutes left to play, they drive inside the 20 and go for a field goal (that missed, of course) instead of trying to tie the game. THAT was the best example of why Jauron needs to go that we've seen this season, IMO.

You're right. I missed teh 49'r game. I was in a bar watching teh second half and everyone was just frustrated that we weren't running the ball.

Jauron took responsibility for the bad call in teh Jets game. It can be argued that if that play had been executed as planned it shouldn't have mattered, but no coach can count on all plays being executed as planned. At that time, the coach should go with teh play that has the best chance of success and minimize risk. A pass play is normally more risky than a run, and at 2nd and 5 with Lynch tearing up yards, there was no reason to add more risk.

Perhaps rather than saying Jauron cost the game, it could be said that his decisions put the game at a higher risk of losing, and in some cases, that's what happened.

Quoting Leo Roth from the Rochester D/C

"...A good coach can win a team one or two extra games. But a bad coach unable to react can cost a team three or four wins. What happens Monday through Saturday isn't as important as what happens during those three highly emotional, intense hours on Sunday...."

Jauron falls in the latter category

Agree completely. I've always liked Roth's commentaries. Much better than teh barstool rants written by the Buff News. Although, Mon-Sat is still important. I remember after the Niner's game that Mike Singletary spent most of the week prepping for red zone defense, and it worked. If DJ had done the same on offense, we might have pulled that game off. I don't know if Singletary is a bonafide long-term coach, but he exemplified everything DJ should have done in Buffalo. Singletary got higher performance out of the same group of players by getting them to respect and fear him, not love him. The "love" comes from winning. I wonder how many Bills players who "love" DJ also love being 7-9.

It's not the glaring errors that are the problem. If it was that, Jauron wouldn't have seen the light of day beyond one season in Chicago.

It's the death by a thousand cuts of little tiny minor things that kill his teams in the end - not having his players prepared for the play call two plays in advance, the obvious time outs, bad usage of replay challenges, ignoring weather conditions, unable to deviate from a plan that worked well in practice on Friday, etc. Just enough to be competitive in a game and lose 17-16, or win 19-17, but do the latter only 7 times a season.

It's easy to fire an 0-16 coach.

I think another thing that needs to be addressed is the injuries & lack of conditioning. I don't know if that all falls on the strength & conditioning coach or Dicks SOFT preseason & practices play a large part in it. In my opinion this team is not well prepared to play on Sunday.

Agreed, but I think this goes back to Donahoe/Williams for letting Rusty Jones get away. Jones was teh best in the business, but those guys felt having "their guy" was more important than having the best. They sound more like the NY Legislature than competent football staff.

Yes.

Good post, I agree.

What?

In close games, YES! Especially when the critical play occured at the end of teh game. In close games, it may come down to the team that plays smarter, is the one that wins. In the Jets game, DJ's supporters can claim the play wasn't executed, but hey, it is the object of the opposing defense to prevent the play from being executed. If all plays were executed we would have NBA scores in teh NFL. A defensive coach (like DJ), must know that. Therefore, it's prudent to run a play with the least risk for the goal that has to be accomplished. The Bills goal was to hold onto the ball and run as much time off the clock. ANY coach would tell you that that situation called for a running play, especially since Lynch was moving the pile and teh Jets D was worn. Sure ther was a risk of a fumble, but a pass adds the risk of a sack, an interception and a fumble (QB and receiver). It was a dumb play call. Do you believe that we would have still lost that game if a running play had been called. Bottom line: DJ failed to keep the Bills in a position to win. He cost us that game.

I think another thing that needs to be addressed is the injuries & lack of conditioning. I don't know if that all falls on the strength & conditioning coach or Dicks SOFT preseason & practices play a large part in it. In my opinion this team is not well prepared to play on Sunday.

Yeah that's been mentioned around here before. The apologists scoff that strength and conditioning can't prevent injuries. Which is obviously nonsense. There have been way too many injuries on this team the past two years for me not to believe that something is up.