Coaching choices for the Bills

1. Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts

A prime choice from the assistant coaching ranks. Being from the Noll-Dungy tree, he would immediately bring legitimacy to our team.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=19

2. Rick Dennison, Denver Broncos

If Mike Shanahan is fired as coach of the Broncos, Dennison would be an ideal fit for a team that has outstanding offensive potential, essentially being a mentor of Shanahan.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=3...p;contentID=628

3. Ron Rivera

He's next in line, and very well known. I'd love to see him in Buffalo.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

I'm not sure why we wouldn't be making a big play for Bill Cowher. How often does a coach like Cowher come along and If Cowher is considering going to the the Jets, it seems like Buffalo would be a much more attractive fit.

Jim Kelly needs to put this deal together, he's got good connection in PA. :sick:

I'm not sure why we wouldn't be making a big play for Bill Cowher. How often does a coach like Cowher come along and If Cowher is considering going to the the Jets, it seems like Buffalo would be a much more attractive fit.

Jim Kelly needs to put this deal together, he's got good connection in PA. :sick:

Huh?

He turned down talking to Cleveland. Buffalo is a lot more like Cleveland than it is NYC.

But, I agree the Bills should at least try to talk to him.

Guest dog14787
Ralph probably would hire a Raiders coach.

or Steve Tasker because there's something real familiar looking about that fella :sick:

A prime choice from the assistant coaching ranks. Being from the Noll-Dungy tree, he would immediately bring legitimacy to our team.

OK - I just read this guy's bio.

Basically his claim to fame is that the Colt's QB and offense have been good for the last 6 years while he's been there coaching Peyton Manning????

How does succeeding on offense with Peyton throwing the ball for you make him any better a coach than, me, Bongo the Wonderdog, or even Mike Mularkey??? OK - maybe he's better than Mularkey...

Seriously - this guy looks like a product of an easy job.

2. Rick Dennison, Denver Broncos

If Mike Shanahan is fired as coach of the Broncos, Dennison would be an ideal fit for a team that has outstanding offensive potential, essentially being a mentor of Shanahan.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=3...p;contentID=628

3. Ron Rivera

He's next in line, and very well known. I'd love to see him in Buffalo.

Interesting thing about both Dennison and Caldwell - they were both defensive players who have gone on to have great success coaching offenses. Unlike, say Jauron, who was an outstanding defensive player who seems utterly clueless directing an offense.

Guest dog14787
Huh?

He turned down talking to Cleveland. Buffalo is a lot more like Cleveland than it is NYC.

But, I agree the Bills should at least try to talk to him.

I would have Jim Kelly at Bill Cowher's door step begging for him to consider Buffalo right about now if I was Ralph Wilson.

Kelly's begging would probably be to much for Cowher to handle. :sick:

Basically his claim to fame is that the Colt's QB and offense have been good for the last 6 years while he's been there coaching Peyton Manning????

How does succeeding on offense with Peyton throwing the ball for you make him any better a coach than, me, Bongo the Wonderdog, or even Mike Mularkey??? OK - maybe he's better than Mularkey...

Caldwell is the pick to succeed Tony Dungy upon the latter's retirement. Cannot see him leaving the organization, no matter which job opens up.

That sounds like a Ralph wilson type of logic. "he has a good team, and he wins, so he is obviously lucky to have a good team. On the other hand.... this guy has done nothing but lose...... maybe it is the team's fault. let's hire him!"

Wins? He's the offensive coordinator. Give Dungy credit for fixing the Colts as a whole. All this guy did was ride an offense that was already among the league's best before he got there.

Sorry - but Peyton was already great when Caldwell got there. And before that he was already the hottest QB draft prospect in years (coming out of Tennessee).

The idea that the Colts offense is still succeeding when it already was succeeding before he got there isn't all that impressive to me.

Basically he can claim "didn't screw up a good thing I was handed."

That's better than "did screw up a good thing" but since we don't currently have Manning, Harrison, and Edgerin James in their primes on our current roster, I don't predict Caldwell's previous work would translate to the 2009 Bills.

I will contradict myself somewhat by saying Caldwell's one season running the Tampa offense and his college HC work are more impressive.

Maybe, but he's the unofficial heir-apparent to Dungy. Players talk highly of Caldwell - as do a lot of football people - but the Bills may want to steer clear of him for the reasons you mentioned. Hard to say what he can do with a QB not named Peyton Manning.