People have blasted TD, but just imagine now

1billsfan

I agree with 1billsfan. As much as it sucks to think that we might have given Dallas a top 3 pick, in all honesty people WHAT would we have used that pick on?

Ding, ding, ding.....if you said Quarterback, good for you.

Would you rather have Leinhart, Walter, Rogers, etc. next year as a rookie paying them $$$$ up the @ss

-or-

JP Losman

Its not clear cut, but I choose JP.

peace

We would have drafted QB in the 1st this year if we had the pick. The fair way to judge the trade, three years from now, is whether JP is better than any available QB that we could have gotten with the pick we sent Dallas. If the answer is yes and JP outperforms the QBs that were available in our spot from this year's draft, then the trade was a good one. If not, then the trade was bad.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are past the trade...it happened...and in hindsight it looks questionable.  First and foremost do to a unforeseen event (cannot blame TD)...Losman got injuried.

Regardless, if the Bills give away a top 5 pick for the right to draft Losman and Evans, I think it would be a poor trade.

Here is my logic.....We could have taken Losman in the first round, risked losing Evans in last years draft, and in the essence not have the big time receiver.  But, the wide receiver class on 2005 is strong, and with a top 5 pick would have a chance at another Johnson from USC.

90788[/snapback]

Huh???? So you'd rather have Loseman and next year's top 5 pick and use that on a receiver?????

That would mean you would be paying a huuuuge salary on a rookie receiver that has never proven himself and very well could be a bust.

We already have a receiver that has shown he will obviously be great for the Bills and he is here at a bargain salary.

Why would you want to pay an unknown receiver top 5 money? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all.

If TD was dead set on getting a QB, he could have just drafted JP at pick 13 & picked up a receiver elsewhere. He could have even traded down within the top 20 & still picked JP. I've always viewed the QB spot as more important than WR & instead of giving Dallas our 2004 #1, I would have drafted JP 1st instead of Evans (I actually did in my own draft on draft day)

The way I've always looked at it, Lee Evans is the one who better be something special, because they didn't have to give Dallas the picks if they weren't dead set on Evans.

If TD was dead set on getting a QB, he could have just drafted JP at pick 13 & picked up a receiver elsewhere.  He could have even traded down within the top 20 & still picked JP.  I've always viewed the QB spot as more important than WR & instead of giving Dallas our 2004 #1, I would have drafted JP 1st instead of Evans (I actually did in my own draft on draft day)

The way I've always looked at it, Lee Evans is the one who better be something special, because they didn't have to give Dallas the picks if they weren't dead set on Evans.

90974[/snapback]

Exactly the point....there was no reason to trade the pick away to get Losman...should have drafted him at 13, and rolled the dice on Evans, and could have made a trade to move up from the 2nd into the first round.

I personally wanted TD to trade up from 13 to get Roethlesberger. Remember people, that was one of the rumors going around in April. We could have had our future QB and still picked up a receiver later on in free agency. I like Evans, but he is 2 years away from being a stud, if he ever becomes one....We could have had just as much impact from a free agent.

As far as Roethlesberger vs Losman, only time will tell. I said in April that I thought Big Ben would be a Superstar in this league, comparing him to John Elway. I dont know what Losman will do...Thats why I wanted to trade for a QB, I just wanted to trade up inside the Steelers at 11....

I agree with 1billsfan. As much as it sucks to think that we might have given Dallas a top 3 pick, in all honesty people WHAT would we have used that pick on?

90235[/snapback]

Um, how about overpaying a unproven premadonna after they hold out for the entire training camp making them essentially useless for the first year.

Doesnt it boil down to tradeing a 2nd and a 5th for Losman?? Since we exchanged first rounders...

Either way it doesnt matter what we all think now....You cant judge it now....3 years down the road is when we can judge if this trade was bust or not....

And this trade has as much to do with Evans, as well as gettin Losman....

So let them both get on the field before you judge this trade as a bust, and give dem a couple years at that....

Guest Not a Monday Morning Quarterback

IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!

Good god, don't you people have anything to do but B word? When Donahoe was hired, you all were the same people that praised Wilson for making that move. At the time, the team was locked in salary cap death row without any chance of a call coming from the Governor. I am not the biggest TD fan in the world but you people want your cake and eat it too!! When TD was hired, the list of available GM's was paper thin. He by far and away was the best of the best available. Look at things in the big picture here instead of the pin hole you're looking through now. Sure the team sucks this year. Sure GW wasn't a good coach, though with a better OC and QB, who knows. Look at the drafts for every team since TD has been with the Bills, every team has a pick or four that didn't turn out. The whole friggin draft is the ultimate crapshoot!! Some diamonds in the rough have been had in the sixth round and some bombs in the first round. stevestojan happens and there isn't much you can do about it. Every team deals with this. There isn't one team in the NFL that has aced their draft in the past 5 years. To get two first round picks this past year was a steal in TD's eyes. Not one person would have guessed that the Bills would be as bad as they are.

Look at the bright side, DB's days are numbered and this football team might actually have something to look forward to. The offensive line, though a sive much of the year is actually starting to get healthy again and the original starters might play for only the second time this year. Moulds blasted his teammates for lack of heart and might actually get a response from that. MM's feet are now wet and there is the potential for him to work out some of the kinks with the team. The defense is one player away from having all it's starters lining up for the first time this year and the Bills are actually entering a part of their schedule that is somewhat favorable compared to the rest of the year.

Quit bitching about the past and look forward to the many bright spots that remain!

IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!

Good god, don't you people have anything to do but B word? When Donahoe was hired, you all were the same people that praised Wilson for making that move. At the time, the team was locked in salary cap death row without any chance of a call coming from the Governor. I am not the biggest TD fan in the world but you people want your cake and eat it too!! When TD was hired, the list of available GM's was paper thin. He by far and away was the best of the best available. Look at things in the big picture here instead of the pin hole you're looking through now. Sure the team sucks this year. Sure GW wasn't a good coach, though with a better OC and QB, who knows. Look at the drafts for every team since TD has been with the Bills, every team has a pick or four that didn't turn out. The whole friggin draft is the ultimate crapshoot!! Some diamonds in the rough have been had in the sixth round and some bombs in the first round. stevestojan happens and there isn't much you can do about it. Every team deals with this. There isn't one team in the NFL that has aced their draft in the past 5 years. To get two first round picks this past year was a steal in TD's eyes. Not one person would have guessed that the Bills would be as bad as they are.

Look at the bright side, DB's days are numbered and this football team might actually have something to look forward to. The offensive line, though a sive much of the year is actually starting to get healthy again and the original starters might play for only the second time this year. Moulds blasted his teammates for lack of heart and might actually get a response from that. MM's feet are now wet and there is the potential for him to work out some of the kinks with the team. The defense is one player away from having all it's starters lining up for the first time this year and the Bills are actually entering a part of their schedule that is somewhat favorable compared to the rest of the year.

Quit bitching about the past and look forward to the many bright spots that remain!

91244[/snapback]

Thanks. The original intent of this post was to show everyone that we have something positive to look forward to. I guess some people will always look at the glass half emty. I am genuinely excited for the second half of this season. I feel that we are at the dawn of the next great era of the Bills. That is what I see when I look at Loseman, McGahee and Evans. So wha wha wha to all you naysayers.

:blush:

...to aquire JP. Not having a QB to turn to after Bledosoe would really really really suck bad.

See everybody, it could always be worse.  :blush:

90224[/snapback]

There probably has never been a Bills Player that I will pull for harder than JP...There is SO much riding on that Kid...

That being said, I think we have to hold off on the evaluation of that Trade until JP actually plays a couple years, and we see what that Draft Pick turns out to be...Remember too, it's that Pick and our #2 last year for JP. So it will take a couple years to fully understand how well TD really did on this one...

Go Bills...And go JP!!! B)

Guest NOt a Monday Morning Quarterback
Thanks. The original intent of this post was to show everyone that we have something positive to look forward to. I guess some people will always look at the glass half emty. I am genuinely excited for the second half of this season. I feel that we are at the dawn of the next great era of the Bills. That is what I see when I look at Loseman, McGahee and Evans. So wha wha wha to all you naysayers.

:blush:

91282[/snapback]

I wasn't dissing you at all 1billsfan, just the glass half empty morons that continually B word about what has happened in the past when they were probably the first ones on here praising the moves. Hindsight is 20/20. Just remember this people, Bill Belichek sucked as a head coach in Cleveland and is now considered one of the greatest coaches of all time. Seems to me that there were tons of New England fans blasting their GM/Owner when he was hired there instead of going after a proven coach. Funny how such "bad" moves turn out so well. It's kinda like the NY lottery, hey, you never know!!

I wasn't dissing you at all 1billsfan, just the glass half empty morons that continually B word about what has happened in the past when they were probably the first ones on here praising the moves. Hindsight is 20/20. Just remember this people, Bill Belichek sucked as a head coach in Cleveland and is now considered one of the greatest coaches of all time. Seems to me that there were tons of New England fans blasting their GM/Owner when he was hired there instead of going after a proven coach. Funny how such "bad" moves turn out so well. It's kinda like the NY lottery, hey, you never know!!

91305[/snapback]

Bad example using Belichick.

I'm sure if Belichick had stunk going on 4 years like Donahoe has, the fans in NE would be screaming for Kraft's head if he hadn't canned Belichick. Instead, Belichick won a super bowl in year 2 with the Pats.

At the time the hiring of Donahoe wasn't bad at all. He didn't have a chance to frig it up yet! But, 4 years into the job, it's quite apparent that Donahoe doesn't have a friggen clue.

This clown should have be canned last year. Instead, he sweet talks his way into more time and, in the meantime, these wannabee football players play like asses out there and we, the fans, get suckered into watching this crap.

Well, it's only a matter of time before the fans say F-You to Donahoe and Ralph and stays the hell away from any and everything about this team.

Stokely????

-_-  :D  :blush:  :P  :D  -_-

90280[/snapback]

Yes. Stokeley you smartass.

Stokeley is currently ranked #8 in the AFC in receiving yards and he came cheap. Lee Evans has done very little for us this year and is being paid quite a bit.

Teams who make headlines on draft day never win. It's the teams that make smart free agent pickups and obtain solid veterans at a bargain price that do win.

Read: Patriots.

In the last 2 years we have drafted MaGahee, Evans and Losman. By the end of the year, all will be starting. So we got an extra blue chip player a year early. For that, we basically gave up a 5th round pick in 2004. BFD.

Now people are worried Dallas may get a top 5 pick in the 2005 Draft with our pick. That pick could BOMB and will certainly cost a cap ransom, for a completely UNPROVEN player. Does the name Mike Williams ring a bell ?

I'd rather go get someone in March Free Agency, a PROVEN NFL player, than gamble on some college player.

Whatever. Blather on with inane jealousy of a supposed top 5 pick that will crush the cap and is completely UNPROVEN. Meanwhile the Bills drafted a RB,WR and QB who are here, on the roster and will all be STARTING by the conclusion of this year.

That #1 pick crap is sooooooo played. I'm not impressed unless you can show me MaGahee, Evans and Losman are complete busts with no hope. You can't.

Meanwhile , the Bills will use the $$ to sign a proven NFL Vet in March. I'm AWARE we need help in other areas, such as OL. Drew Bledsoe's salary will help pay that .

TD's major BLUNDER was BLEDSOE ! B-L-E-D-S-O-E . Drew Bledsoe. That was the mistake which has set this team back 1-2 years. Drafting MaGahee, Evans and Losman turned out to be pretty smart.

In the last 2 years we have drafted MaGahee, Evans and Losman. By the end of the year, all will be starting. So we got an extra blue chip player a year early. For that, we basically gave up a 5th round pick in 2004. BFD.

Now people are worried Dallas may get a top 5 pick in the 2005 Draft with our pick. That pick could BOMB and will certainly cost a cap ransom, for a completely UNPROVEN player. Does the name Mike Williams ring a bell ?

I'd rather go get someone in March Free Agency, a PROVEN NFL player, than gamble on some college player.

Whatever. Blather on with inane jealousy of a supposed top 5 pick that will crush the cap and is completely UNPROVEN. Meanwhile the Bills drafted a RB,WR and QB who are here, on the roster and will all be STARTING by the conclusion of this year.

That #1 pick crap is sooooooo played. I'm not impressed unless you can show me MaGahee, Evans and Losman are complete busts with no hope. You can't.

Meanwhile , the Bills will use the $$ to sign a proven NFL Vet in March. I'm AWARE we need help in other areas, such as OL. Drew Bledsoe's salary will help pay that .

TD's major BLUNDER was BLEDSOE !   B-L-E-D-S-O-E . Drew Bledsoe. That was the mistake which has set this team back 1-2 years. Drafting MaGahee, Evans and Losman turned out to be pretty smart.

91356[/snapback]

Agree 100%, though I will say trading for JP also cost us a 2003 #2.

TD's major BLUNDER was BLEDSOE ! B-L-E-D-S-O-E . Drew Bledsoe. That was the mistake which has set this team back 1-2 years. Drafting MaGahee, Evans and Losman turned out to be pretty smart.

Are you saying that dealing for Bledsoe in 2002 was a bad move??? I don't think so.

Doesnt it boil down to tradeing a 2nd and a 5th for Losman??  Since we exchanged first rounders...

Either way it doesnt matter what we all think now....You cant judge it now....3 years down the road is when we can judge if this trade was bust or not....

And this trade has as much to do with Evans, as well as gettin Losman....

So let them both get on the field before you judge this trade as a bust, and give dem a couple years at that....

91225[/snapback]

No, since the first rounder WAS Losman.

It comes down to exchanging a top ten pick in the draft + a 2nd + a 5th for a top twenty pick. In other words, a complete fleecing in terms of value.

Justifying it by saying that the 2005 pick would have been a top five bust makes no sense. If we can be fairly certain that TD is going to screw up, then why is he drafting our players in the first place? And why won't these three guys end up being busts but this unknown top five player from next year will be? Completely illogical.

Here's the facts. The Bills are 1-5, and they're down one first round pick in the future compared to the rest of the league. Tom Donahoe is incompetent and the sooner he is gone, the sooner a turnaround can happen.

I’m also not buying this nonsense that they would have “had” to have used the top five pick on a QB in 2005. A good GM would use this pick on the best available player. A cornerstone tackle, a defensive lineman with ability or a top flight corner.

Look at the last five winning Super Bowl QB’s – a sixth rounder (Brady -2), a UFA (Warner), and two guys who any team could have acquired shortly before they won the Bowl (Dilfer, Brad Johnson).