Time to rethink the Tampa 2 Defense

Bufcomments

Lets run the Baltimore Defense, they have an aggressive defense and guys who hit you and knock the crap out of you, we have guys who just knock you out of bounds. when was the las time you remember a Bills player being a high lite reel for a hard hard hit ???

if i'm not mistaken they run buddy ryans 46 defense.

McCargo is out the door...........

What has Chris Ellis done lately??

Bertrand Berry....maybe but i would prefer Julius Peppers

Schobel if he comes back is on the downslope of his career, not the same player he was

Still dont have the players to fit the scheme.....which was the reason for my topic

I forget who said it.. it was one of the tampa 2 geniuses (dungy/kiffin/lovie smith) and they said their were 3 key positions on the tampa 2 defense the "under DT", the WLB, and the SS. (I personally think you need quick DE's too)

I think the tampa 2 scheme is fantastic b/c you can get away with using smaller speed guys that are easily replaceable if you have a couple playmakers on the field. Unfortunately, I think we lack those playmakers. I do like Whitner though, and don't see what all of the hate is about on this board.

Im saying

We dont have the playermakers at the key positions so why run a defense that you dont have the players for???

The reason is because that is what the coaches think is best for the team. Whether or not you agree with it, is an entirely different matter. The team has a defensive system they would like to run, they are in the process of getting the players that are available to them, that they think are the best for the system.

It is very hard to build a team overnight (mia,atl,balt were not built overnight). Personally I think the team should be blitzing alot more because I think the defense's strength is in man-to-man coverage corners.

I agree with the original poster. This defense has been best and caused the most turnovers when it's blitzed frequently. Like in the Dallas game last year and the Seattle and San Diego and Jacksonville game this year. In the first Jets game they needed a turnover and they blitzed Favre and he threw a pick returned for a TD. I can't for the life of me understand how our coaches don't see this and go with it. We've got great blitzers like Witner and Mitchell.

This defense has more success being aggressive than playing back and keeping everything in front of them. Against Cleveland we blitzed early and got some stops. Then they got the ball on like the 10 and we went into play back mode and they marched down the field for a TD. Criminy Louise.

Bring the Blitz !!

if i'm not mistaken they run buddy ryans 46 defense.

True that 46/ 433 not tampa style would fit our personnel better IMO, 46 does get beat in blitz situations but that is better than play to lose if you ask me.

I doubt our coach can adapt to an agreesive type scheme. We need another coach or 3.

True that 46/ 433 not tampa style would fit our personnel better IMO, 46 does get beat in blitz situations but that is better than play to lose if you ask me.

I doubt our coach can adapt to an agreesive type scheme. We need another coach or 3.

I tend to disagree with this. Perry has shown a very aggressive side at times. Especially Dallas last year and the first 4 games this season. I think it's Dick telling him to cool it and play back and keep everything in front of you so as not to give up the big play. You know, play not to lose. I think if Dick told him to "release the hounds" all hell would break loose and QBs would be running for the hills and duckin' and chuckin' producing picks and fumbles.

Anybody thought about hiring Ted Cotrell as DC? He's available you know.

McCargo is out the door...........

What has Chris Ellis done lately??

Bertrand Berry....maybe but i would prefer Julius Peppers

Schobel if he comes back is on the downslope of his career, not the same player he was

Still dont have the players to fit the scheme.....which was the reason for my topic

The problem is that we also don't have the players for any other scheme. The fact that you are casually saying "Put weight on this guy and switch him to a position that he has never played before ..." makes that very clear.

The 46 is not an option. That is a scheme that requires profound talent, and we don't got it. It's a scheme that turns a dominant defense into a legendary defense, and it's only worked a few times. Remember when Gregg Williams tried to run it here?

I think our best option down the road is to fall back into a hybrid 4-3 system. We do have a small, smart, quick defense, and I think they'd be able to balance a base cover-2 with a standard 4-3 and a few zone blitz calls. We do blitz sometimes; we're not in a Tampa 2 on every play. And I've seen Kelsay in coverage before, which usually means a zone blitz is in effect. We're not far from running it already, but let's just spend the offseason improving the talent and not worrying about a very specific scheme.

I forget who said it.. it was one of the tampa 2 geniuses (dungy/kiffin/lovie smith) and they said their were 3 key positions on the tampa 2 defense the "under DT", the WLB, and the SS. (I personally think you need quick DE's too)

I think the tampa 2 scheme is fantastic b/c you can get away with using smaller speed guys that are easily replaceable if you have a couple playmakers on the field. Unfortunately, I think we lack those playmakers. I do like Whitner though, and don't see what all of the hate is about on this board.

Ironic. One of the key positions is SS ... Bryan Scott has been getting more and more playing time at SS over Whitner.

I tend to disagree with this. Perry has shown a very aggressive side at times. Especially Dallas last year and the first 4 games this season. I think it's Dick telling him to cool it and play back and keep everything in front of you so as not to give up the big play. You know, play not to lose. I think if Dick told him to "release the hounds" all hell would break loose and QBs would be running for the hills and duckin' and chuckin' producing picks and fumbles.

Anybody thought about hiring Ted Cotrell as DC? He's available you know.

of course Ted's available

he has destroyed defenses and been fired by 3 different teams

with that track record, he fits right in with Dick :angry:

Unless Wade is the DC directing the defense, stay far away from Ted

We don't have the right players for any specific scheme except a prevent defense.

They really don't play Cover 2 much at all, I don't know why that's such a big thing here. Their corners are always way off the ball and retreating at the snap, one of the safeties usually ends up in man against the tight end with the other safety playing center field.

I'm no football coach, but to me that's the cover 3. And they play that a hell of a lot more than you see the cornerbacks releasing into a zone and leaving the WRs downfield with safeties...the Bills would be torched if they did- these safeties can't cover.

Again, looks like they play a lot more cover 3 than cover 2 to me.

Lets run the Baltimore Defense, they have an aggressive defense and guys who hit you and knock the crap out of you, we have guys who just knock you out of bounds. when was the las time you remember a Bills player being a high lite reel for a hard hard hit ???

Mike Stratton's hit on Keith Lincoln, 1965.

i want the exact defense from 1999 brought back. same players, everything. now that was a defense.

Who doesn't.

Back to the original post, Whitner isn't an LB and its a not so sharp idea as well. Greer, unless the bottom falls out of the CB market, he won't be playing for nickel money unless his somewhat injury prone nature scares off the rest of the league. He's

not going to get top dallar, no way, but probably enough to leave....