Seattle: another point for them being Ground Zero

stuckincincy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critiquing the present day relevance of the term "hippie" automatically makes one a hippie? Well then I suppose that I'm not only a hippie but also a Zippie, a Beatnik, a Mod, a Greaser, and a Pachucho.

Sorry, but none of those decided to make it their life calling to enter the political arena and influence others by other than art.

Typical hippies. Don't want salt to leech into a salt water estuary? Love the "We're going to clear the roads enough for only the environment killing SUVs to pass" mentality. That's awesome.

:) Why don't they just dig the salt from Puget Sound and use that? :beer:

The communities where I lived outside of Boston, and on Long Island didn't use salt on the roads, either. They used sand (on occasion) which does very little (helps traction for a short period of time). I don't think Seattle gets the amount of snow of NE, but I may be wrong.

The last time I checked it was 2008.

Darrin is like Cartman. He hates hippies and sees them everywhere.

The only place with any legit hippies, these days, is San Francisco. I think they get paid by the city to be there, as a tourist attraction.

Ice-melting salt? How does that work?

Like a charm, actually. Take some salt (any salt will do, but the big rock salt made for deicing is best), sprinkle it on the ice, and watch. Better yet (in my experience) put the salt down on the sidewalk and steps just before they are about to freeze (or before a big storm) and you will see you have much less to shovel or scrape.

How does it work? Pretty simply, actually:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question58.htm

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/1...melts-ice.shtml

Like a charm, actually. Take some salt (any salt will do, but the big rock salt made for deicing is best), sprinkle it on the ice, and watch. Better yet (in my experience) put the salt down on the sidewalk and steps just before they are about to freeze (or before a big storm) and you will see you have much less to shovel or scrape.

How does it work? Pretty simply, actually:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question58.htm

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/1...melts-ice.shtml

I know how salt works, by lowering the freezing point of the water. My sugar comment earlier was tounge in cheek, but true. You can use any substance that dissolves in water.

I didn't realize they combined it with Calcium, or that that would make a difference. I looked it up, and as the salt dissolves, the calcium produces heat that will actually melt already frozen ice. Only works on ice that is about 15 F or above though.

Sorry, didn't read the links you provided yet, so I may have just repeated that.

Darrin is like Cartman. He hates hippies and sees them everywhere.

The only place with any legit hippies, these days, is San Francisco. I think they get paid by the city to be there, as a tourist attraction.

There are no hippies in Ess EF. They're all in Marin and or growing in Humboldt. The trustfund babes standing outside the Gap on Haight are a just a mirage.

There are no hippies in Ess EF. They're all in Marin and or growing in Humboldt. The trustfund babes standing outside the Gap on Haight are a just a mirage.

Well, there were when I was there. While they are being displaced, there were still plenty left on Haight St.

The people you refer to in Humboldt are farmers and entrepreneurs! :beer: (And that God for them!)

You know the locks (Chittenden Locks) between the Puget and Lake Washington (Lake Washington Ship Canal) actually takes the salt water and recycles the water back that would normally bleed into Lake Washington (freshwater) on upbound lockages.

I can understand the above but, with regards to a freak snowstorm every so many years... Those people are wacko up there... A little salt on the roads in not going to hurt. And what? Don't they have new techniques that puts a brine solution on the roads?... It uses tremoundously less salt and is equally effective.

:wallbash: Why don't they just dig the salt from Puget Sound and use that? :unsure:

Better yet... Just use a brine soultion on the roads BEFORE the storm hits... It is very effective and use much less salt... Like I said, the locks takes the brackish water and and sends it BACK to the Puget... And they are worried about over salinating the ocean... <_<:wallbash:

Salt water barrier

If excessive salt water were allowed to migrate into Salmon Bay, the salt could eventually damage the freshwater ecosystem. To prevent this, a basin was dredged just above (east of) the large lock. The heavier salt water settles into the basin and drains through a pipe discharging downstream of the locks area. In 1975, the saltwater drain was modified to divert some salt water from the basin to the fish ladder, where it is added via a diffuser to the fish ladder attraction water; see below.

To further restrict saltwater intrusion, in 1966 a hinged barrier was installed just upstream of the large lock. This hollow metal barrier is filled with air to remain in the upright position, blocking the heavier salt water. When necessary to accommodate deep-draft vessels, the barrier is flooded and sinks to the bottom of the chamber.

Why don't they use this brine solution to spray on the roads BEFORE the storms hit? How many of these storms do they actually get... It won't make a difference... :thumbsup:

Anybody see Chicago/NE IL/NW IN this morning? Thank God it is as flat as a pancake out here! There was an empty tanker (semi) trying to get up what had to be a 1/4% grade on the expressway this morning (from a stand still)... :lol:

Literally I could have ice skated to work and they use salt out here... The real problem are the idiots that go too fast and crowd everybody else... Oh well... I guess I would have had to pull out the tire chains and wheel chocks if I lived on a hill...

How often does Seattle get a crippling snow storm? Every 10, 15 years? :blush:

Evidently, the city will let people crash and get injured before adding salinity to saline Puget Sound...

Seattle: No to salt, yes to snow-packed roads

By Susan Kelleher, The Seattle Times 12/23/08

"SEATTLE -- To hear the city's spin, Seattle's road crews are making "great progress" in clearing the ice-caked streets.

But it turns out "plowed streets" in Seattle actually means "snow-packed," as in there's snow and ice left on major arterials by design.

'We're trying to create a hard-packed surface," said Alex Wiggins, chief of staff for the Seattle Department of Transportation. "It doesn't look like anything you'd find in Chicago or New York."

The city's approach means crews clear the roads enough for all-wheel and four-wheel-drive vehicles, or those with front-wheel drive cars as long as they are using chains, Wiggins said. The icy streets are the result of Seattle's refusal to use salt, an effective ice-buster used by the state Department of Transportation and cities accustomed to dealing with heavy winter snows.

"If we were using salt, you'd see patches of bare road because salt is very effective," Wiggins said. "We decided not to utilize salt because it's not a healthy addition to Puget Sound.'."...

http://www.yakimaherald.com/stories/2008/1...ow-packed-roads

The run off from the salted roads, would kill the once depleted salmon runs. There is rarely a winter storm like the one we are experiencing now. Maybe if people knew how to drive in all weather, there wouldn't be so many people whining. Oh yeah, and they might want to pick up a shovel as well. My hippy prius gets me around in the snow and ice just fine ..... I am from Buffalo though.