Anonymous scout's comment re: Brandon on PFW

Coach Tuesday

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...udibles2324.htm

“What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can’t even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He’s a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent.”

(I'm assuming "in his own field" means the Bills' player personnel acquisitions and contracts, but perhaps it means Brandon's GM contract, not positive.)

“What is (Bills chief operating officer ) Russ Brandon doing on the road, trying to parade around as a football guy and pretend he knows what he is looking at? Look at his contracts — he can’t even take care of business in his own field. What makes him think he can evaluate? He’s a bean counter. He has no business pretending he knows talent.”

(I'm assuming "in his own field" means the Bills' player personnel acquisitions and contracts, but perhaps it means Brandon's GM contract, not positive.)

I take that to mean the contracts he's given to players. If anything, Brandon's done a terrific job managing the salary cap with the players his "football guys" bring to Buffalo.

While I'm no huge fan of Brandon's thus far... what stupid contracts has he given out? Mitchell?

It sounds to me like this "scout" has an axe to grind. Sounds like one of these football-lifers who couldn't fathom a world in which someone runs an operation without having paid dues for decades the way this schlub likely did (just like baseball scouts allegedly resent the Theo Epstein's and Billy Beane's of the world).

:lol:

It is downright scary that RB thinks he's capable of being a GM. He has no qualifications to be a NFL GM, and the contracts they've handed out are moderate. Butler, Williams, Parrish, Stroud, Mitchell, and Johnson are all signed to deals that aren't big. He's never given a decent sized contract, and his management of the cap is related mostly to Buffalo being 20-22M beneath the cap.

If he thinks this franchise is any further along than it was last year, that's pretty darn funny.

While I'm no huge fan of Brandon's thus far... what stupid contracts has he given out? Mitchell?

It sounds to me like this "scout" has an axe to grind. Sounds like one of these football-lifers who couldn't fathom a world in which someone runs an operation without having paid dues for decades the way this schlub likely did (just like baseball scouts allegedly resent the Theo Epstein's and Billy Beane's of the world).

Did he not do Kelsay and Denney's? Two guys who provide pretty much nothing while commanding probably much more money than they would get from some other team. Remember even though Marv was the figurehead, he always said Brandon did all the contracts.

Sounds about right...

And who says a Guy as smart as Brandon can't learn? Not saying He's Polian or even close yet...But who knows...There is no reason to believe He can't be a legit Scout one day...And the idiot that wrote that certainly does not understand how the Bills were run by Levy/Jauron and now by Dead Dick...Brandon more than likely gets told "We need to Sign this Guy" and He sees that it gets done...I'm not sure how much imput He has on Contracts and the amounts but I do know He's not even The Bills main negotiator (Overdorf) on Contracts...So...whatever... :lol:

Did he not do Kelsay and Denney's? Two guys who provide pretty much nothing while commanding probably much more money than they would get from some other team. Remember even though Marv was the figurehead, he always said Brandon did all the contracts.

I was under the impression that Guy/Modrak/Overdorff did all the contracts under Marv. Russ was busy marketing and "counting beans."

Russ has (for sure) paid Mitchell, Brad Butler, Spencer Johnson... how are those bad contracts, as this scout calls them?

Just a baseless comment buy some dope who'd prefer to remain anonymous than put his name behind his statement. His comments are (obviously) better served on a blog or message board, than in confidence to the "press."

Hind-sight is always 20-20.

Denney's contract was not all that big in the grand scheme of things. The font office did miss the boat with Kelsay, but I think it was because there was some indication at that time that he was ripe for coming into his own, having had similar career stats to Aaron Kampman before his career breakout season. Also the FA market that year was VERY thing at the DE position, and (believe it or not) Kelsay WOULD HAVE received a lucrative offer to play elsewhere.

Hind-sight is always 20-20.

Denney's contract was not all that big in the grand scheme of things. The font office did miss the boat with Kelsay, but I think it was because there was some indication at that time that he was ripe for coming into his own, having had similar career stats to Aaron Kampman before his career breakout season. Also the FA market that year was VERY thing at the DE position, and (believe it or not) Kelsay WOULD HAVE received a lucrative offer to play elsewhere.

There is no way in hell. Kelsay and Denney both were NEVER worth all that much. I'm totally guessing here, but the season where Kelsay was even maybe worth a damn.......all of his sacks were in like just three games or something like that. He was irrelevant in the rest just like he is now. Anyone who ever watched football knew these guys are no more than backups. Matter of fact, when they were signed a ton of people here laughed their asses off at how much we gave them.

If they would have garnered more on the open market, they would have left.

A ton of fans thought these guys were overpaid from day one. Me included. I'd be OK with Kelsay as a backup IF we had a DE worth a damn to sit behind.

Inexcusable.

I was under the impression that Guy/Modrak/Overdorff did all the contracts under Marv. Russ was busy marketing and "counting beans."

Russ has (for sure) paid Mitchell, Brad Butler, Spencer Johnson... how are those bad contracts, as this scout calls them?

Just a baseless comment buy some dope who'd prefer to remain anonymous than put his name behind his statement. His comments are (obviously) better served on a blog or message board, than in confidence to the "press."

Could be right......I forgot about OVerdorf. I still thought ole Russ did contracts for some reason.

As much as people have bitched about his first draft, I think it was a moderate success.

1. McKelvin - really turning into a good coverage guy (he made another pro-bowl style cut on the ball for an INT yesterday that was called back on the Stroud penalty); amazing kick returner .

2. Hardy - seems like a bust, but WR is the hardest position in the NFL to breakout in - still think he will be good.

3. Ellis - have no idea here - injuries? bust.

4. Corner - played great yesterday and has solidified out CB position as the strength of the team.

4. Derick Fine - good depth TE - has shown some good skills this year and will hopefully mature into a solid second TE.

5. Bowen - early injury - probably would have been good addition to STs.

6. Omon - good RB depth.

7. Demetrius Bell - depth OT

7. Steve Johnson - our best rookie WR!!

7. Kennard Cox - cut.

The beauty of the Bills front office is that no one person is responsible, so therefore no one is accountable.

Marv can be trotted out as the convenient scape goat when things get hot.

Brandon's "own field" is baseball marketing.

He is an expert in selling the cheapest team in the league from his time with the Marlins