WR Steve Johnson!

Frez

Of course they are the top 3 receivers, but I'm not ready to take Evans or Reed out, and that's what I thought the OP was implying. I hope Steve can come in and earn the 2nd WR gig next year, but I'm not ready to anoint him yet.

Taking out Evans is crazy talk. But again, I'd prefer a bigger WR starting opposite Evans and Reed in the slot, for the base offense, with Lynch or Jackson at RB and Fine at TE (K-gun, baby!). Reed is a great outlet receiver while Johnson could take away coverage from Evans. Assuming Johnson continues to progress.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt better than Roscoe - I still thin he has to earn starter role. Has taken good steps forward but much remains to be proven. He is still small by NFL standards. I hope Hardy is not a bust but there is reason to think he may be.

It took Josh Reed about 5 years to develop into a capable, efficient, reliable production receiver. It takes more than 1 year to clearly determine whether a receiver is "bust".

Taking out Evans is crazy talk. But again, I'd prefer a bigger WR starting opposite Evans and Reed in the slot, for the base offense, with Lynch or Jackson at RB and Fine at TE (K-gun, baby!). Reed is a great outlet receiver while Johnson could take away coverage from Evans. Assuming Johnson continues to progress.

I think what most of you guys are really trying to say is not that Johnson should be the #2, but instead that Johnson should be the #3, and that when we line up in 3-WR sets, Johnson should be on the outside and Reed should be in the slot. I could be on board with that, because Johnson seems like he could potentially be an all-around reciever, while Reed is damn near perfect as a slot guy.

When you say Johnson should be the "#2 WR," you're strongly implying that when we use 2-WR sets, it should be Evans and Johnson, with Reed on the bench. This I can not agree with. Reed has a veteran presence, is a fantastic blocker, is the most reiable reciever on the team over the middle, great hands, and remarkable chemistry with Edwards. Johnson has a long way to go to catch up to a savvy, gritty, dependable guy like Reed.

This kid deserves to be on the field playing with the first string offense FULL TIME next year.

Just throw him the damn ball. :angry:

I've been rooting for him since training camp. He's just been All Fisher. But this coaching staff and the Marshawn Lynch incident seems to have hurt his playing time.

C

Fine could fit the Bill. Maybe bulk-up Hardy and try him there?

Hardy is not strong enough to be a WR let alone a TE. Hardy with the torn ACL is a long shot at pro ball at this point.

We are going to see what he is made of and how hard he works in Rehab. next year may be another wasted year for him with that injury and the camp he undoubtedly miss.

I think what most of you guys are really trying to say is not that Johnson should be the #2, but instead that Johnson should be the #3, and that when we line up in 3-WR sets, Johnson should be on the outside and Reed should be in the slot. I could be on board with that, because Johnson seems like he could potentially be an all-around reciever, while Reed is damn near perfect as a slot guy.

When you say Johnson should be the "#2 WR," you're strongly implying that when we use 2-WR sets, it should be Evans and Johnson, with Reed on the bench. This I can not agree with. Reed has a veteran presence, is a fantastic blocker, is the most reiable reciever on the team over the middle, great hands, and remarkable chemistry with Edwards. Johnson has a long way to go to catch up to a savvy, gritty, dependable guy like Reed.

What he said... :lol:

Now, if we could just get a real pass-catching TE....any chance Gonzalez could be presuaded to reconsider?

without getting too technical I think most of us are saying we want to see more Johnson and less Hardy or Parrish. We like Reed but he is not the go to guy in the Red zone nor can he stretch the field. Reed Good power and run after the catch, good hands. Does not really stretch the field + posession receiver who is an excellent blocker. Use him as a second TE, Slot receiver. Move the chains guy who will punish DB's and burn them when they get sloppy.

preaching to the choir

I'm with you on this. Though I've never stated anything on this board about Johnson, I've just had a hunch that this guy was going to be something special. For starters, the "lights are on". You can tell the guy has intelligence. He has great height and very good physical skills. Why is it the average fan can recognize this, but it takes the coaching staff 14-15 games to figure out that he should be getting some playing time?

without getting too technical I think most of us are saying we want to see more Johnson and less Hardy or Parrish. We like Reed but he is not the go to guy in the Red zone nor can he stretch the field. Reed Good power and run after the catch, good hands. Does not really stretch the field + posession receiver who is an excellent blocker. Use him as a second TE, Slot receiver. Move the chains guy who will punish DB's and burn them when they get sloppy.

I want to see less of Josh as the starter opposite Lee and more 3 receiver sets with him in the slot. At the #2 spot, I wouldn't care if it were Hardy or Johnson, as long as he produced. Parrish is just not a consistent threat as a WR.