Upshaw: Eight Teams Have Unfair Edge

UConn James

i saw that yesterday. the big thing i was concerned about is the NO CAP IN 2007!!!!!!!

and i dont think that has much to do with the amount of money spent by a team on players. just how much extra money they get, and profit.

who are the 8 teams though????

im guessing

Giants

redskins

cowboys

raiders

pats

miami

Upshaw is full of stevestojan. Just trying to scam more money for the union. If they get rid of the salary cap, football is DONE. The owners must hold firm again....if they have to, they need to do exactly what they did last time. Immediately hire replacement players and continue playing.

I'm not worried about the uncapped year - it's always been there and it always gets fixed before that year.

However, I do agree with the unshared revenue being unfair. Everyone seems to be making PSLs for unshared revenue, club boxes for unshared revenue, etc. Not fair IMHO.

I think Upshaw is only talking about things from a financial point of view, not from a competitive point of view.

CW

Upshaw noted that the high-revenue teams such as Washington and Dallas get more local money, which is not part of the league's revenue sharing. The union is asking that high-revenue teams contribute more money to the shared pool, a move that would also increase the salary cap and provide more money for players.

His motives aren't exactly altruistic, but he's got a point. Thanks to the cap, small-market teams like the Bills have roughly the same amount of $$$ to spend directly on players' salaries.... but the 'haves' can outspend the 'have-nots' in other areas that also have the potential to impact the on-the-field product.

Disagree? Here's one example: just think about how many millions of dollars Dannyboy $nyder has paid to his various head coaches, or the fact that he made GW the highest-paid coordinator in NFL history. And if Bill Parcells had been available this last offseason, do you really think the Bills would've had a shot at hiring him, or would Jerry Jones have just kept upping his offer until Ralph dropped out of the bidding?

Now, I realize the Skins and 'Boys aren't having great seasons either. But wouldn't it be nice to have the option to go after a "big-name" coach, or maybe (for example) get a nicer scoreboard without begging the state/county for more $$$?

And with a little extra loot coming our way, maybe we could get the potholes in Lot 1 fixed....... :D

His motives aren't exactly altruistic, but he's got a point. Thanks to the cap, small-market teams like the Bills have roughly the same amount of $$$ to spend directly on players' salaries.... but the 'haves' can outspend the 'have-nots' in other areas that also have the potential to impact the on-the-field product.

Disagree? Here's one example: just think about how many millions of dollars Dannyboy $nyder has paid to his various head coaches, or the fact that he made GW the highest-paid coordinator in NFL history. And if Bill Parcells had been available this last offseason, do you really think the Bills would've had a shot at hiring him, or would Jerry Jones have just kept upping his offer until Ralph dropped out of the bidding?

Now, I realize the Skins and 'Boys aren't having great seasons either. But wouldn't it be nice to have the option to go after a "big-name" coach, or maybe (for example) get a nicer scoreboard without begging the state/county for more $$$?

And with a little extra loot coming our way, maybe we could get the potholes in Lot 1 fixed....... :D

89708[/snapback]

Excellent points. Sometimes we forget the big picture.

I would assume that the Browns aren't too far off.

Did you know Jerry Jones is trying to get a new stadium built near Six Flags in Arlington? I don't know what the current status is, but the Cowboys' website has had the info in the past.

To put it bluntly, I think PSL's may ultimately be the worst thing to ever happen to the NFL. To price out your loyal blue-collar and middle-class fan base in favor of corporate pricing (and ultimately, corporate whims) can backfire. The people who made the NFL what it is today are being told, "Sorry, but you don't have enough of those green pieces of paper available to make us happy anymore."

I love sports, but if it gets much worse, you may see me watching football at my local DIII colleges and playing more golf on Sunday afternoons.

Mike

Upshaw is full of stevestojan.  Just trying to scam more money for the union.  If they get rid of the salary cap, football is DONE.  The owners must hold firm again....if they have to, they need to do exactly what they did last time.  Immediately hire replacement players and continue playing.

89674[/snapback]

I think you miss the point here, aren't repeating accurately the history and a showing a clearunderstanding of the result of that history.

Upshaw does not want to get rid of the salary cap at all. His main quote on this point in the article was an expression of fear that unless they move quickly to reach an agreement the salary cap will be lost and that will be tough on the union and players as the rich teams will kill the fatted calf for their individual profits and the league and the whole will lose out on the profits which have made them all rich.

If the one considers the last time as the last set of negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA which extended the existence of the salary cap and fine tuned the CBA, the owners did not hold firm at all, they recognized that there is a growing partnership between the NFL and NFLPA and under the certainty that this partnership brings both parties are getting rich like never before from TV money.

As far what the history was, one might consider the player strike of the mid -80s as the last time and here the NFL hired replacement players and held firm. They best back and nearly destroyed the NFLPA which under the leadership of Ed Garvey was demanding 51 or 52% of the gross.

However, this "victory" was relatively short-lived because the NFLPA under the leadership of Gene Upshaw with a bunch of great advice responded to this beating by the owners by announcing the players plan to decertify and abandon their own union. The authority to take this radical action was granted by the players since their union had gotten its butt totally kicked in the strike.

The NFL however, found itself and its sense of control to be a victim to winning the strike. If the union decertified itself, suddenly the NFL would find the many restraints of trade agreed to by the defunct union such as the NFL player draft over and done with.

NFL teams would suddenly have to operate in a strange new world we call the free market. If teams actually competed against each other based on the golden rule (he has the most gold wins) then small market teams would get totally obliterated and relatively quickly in the team game of football become non-competitive.

In the face of fearing the free market, the NFL then capitulated and went into serious negotiations with the NFLPA and from that discussion came the new partnership based on the salary cap and the CBA.

The true irony to me is that by running away from the free market, both sides formed a collaboration which has most agreeing that the NFL is the best run of all the professional leagues. The fiarly unAmerican agreement between the NFL and NFLPA to harshly restrain competition and free market negotiation by owners for players has resulted in a great game to root for and to watch.

The view that the NFL is somehow a fight between owners and players completely misunderstands the benefits to the owners and players in terms of finance they have gotten from collaboration and misunderstands the benefits of good sport which has come from leveling the playing field (not completely but certainly fundamentally) in terms of dollars.

When ticket prices reach $75-$100 a seat, I doubt if I will go to any more games. Right now $50 a ticket is a little stiff but not totally out of my budget. Not to mention I enjoy college football a lot more then professional. The college atmosphere is fun and non hostile. The hot girls in the stands are an added bonus. :-)

When ticket prices reach $75-$100 a seat, I doubt if I will go to any more games.  Right now $50 a ticket is a little stiff but not totally out of my budget.  Not to mention I enjoy college football a lot more then professional.  The college atmosphere is fun and non hostile.  The hot girls in the stands are an added bonus.  :-)

90643[/snapback]

I'm on the same boat. I rather any college sport over the professionals. I love the NFL, but if there is no cap after 2007, then we can forget about the Bills being able to compete. At this point, as much as it pains me, i'd almost hope the Bills move so they can field a competitive team. ;)