2008-9 Niagara University Basketball Thread

EndZoneCrew

Based on last year's results, Jim Boeheim would probably say that Rhody and UMass don't suck. And if you're going to toss out the "especially the Bonnies" canard to try to piss me off, it won't work, because I've seen Fordham play.

To answer the earlier question, I was born just down State St. from the SBU campus, still live half an hour from there, and have season tickets. Oh, and my stepdad used to recruit for them -- signing Paul Hoffman, one of the players on the 1970 Final Four team, among others -- and one of the current assistants used to coach high-school ball with my stepbrother.

Have not seen Fordham play yet but charlotte is not very good & Duquense, George washington & lasalle stink. Richmond although only 6-5 have hung tough in losses to Wake Forest & my Syracuse. Umass did beat Kansas(who is not really good this year either) but are only 4-6 & St Joes & Temple are not tournament teams this year. Looks like the A-10 is a 1 bid league this year.

BTW, what do last years results have to do with anything. Umass was pretty good last year, they are not this year. Syracuse is better this year as long as Devendorf can stay on the court. All indications that I have read suggest that he will be back once SU starts Big East play. I will be shocked if they are not at least a 4 seed this year in the tourney.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed that this is an obstacle. Pulling out the Duke or Providence games would have been very big. Rhody has won 40 games over the past 2 years but have had few big wins ('Cuse was about the only one) and have played poorly down the stretch (especially last years' implosion), costing them an NCAA bid both years.

I'd say they can lose 4-5 conference games; 23-9 should get a bid, unless they are blown out by Xavier and Dayton.

Under this circumstance, I suppose I could buy into that, as long as they do not flame out in the A-10 tourney. Need to get at least the semifinals.

Take your bush league A-10 crap out of here......I created this thread for NU chat...not teams we have handled...anyways....NU cracks the Mid-Major top 25 for the first time as a result of their 9-2 start...NU..NU..NU

You're right! Calvin Murphy was a year behind me. Bona had Bob Lanier and Buf State had Randy Smith and that made for many good games at the AUD. I always wished all those guys could have played together for the Braves. That would have been a tremendous draw!

Frank Layden, at that time, was a pretty big guy! He used to say that he couldn't wear blue suits because people kept dropping film in his side pocket thinking he was a PhotoMat.

Sorry Dean, but I can't let this walk down Little Three lane (Buff State and the GREATEST ATHLETE IN WNY HISTORY nothwithstanding) go on without giving a salute to Billy DeMars and the Canisius College Golden Griffins.

Carry On.

GO GRIFFS!!!

Edit: How could I forget Andy Anderson and Tony Masiello? Yeah, I know.

• 2 weeks later...

The Niagara men's basketball team (11-3, 2-0) remained perfect in conference play with a 93-74 victory over Manhattan (7-6, 1-2) in front of 2,093 fans at the 'Taps' Gallagher Center on Saturday night. Big game against Loyala (Md) tonight at the GC!!

I graduated in 87. although the school eroneously has me as an 86 grad. I've never been able to get it fixed so I just gave up.

My wife and I are 82 grads, My parents were 54 and 53 grads and my niece and nephew are 04 and 07 grads. We have purple bloodlines in our family.

The Niagara men's basketball team (11-3, 2-0) remained perfect in conference play with a 93-74 victory over Manhattan (7-6, 1-2) in front of 2,093 fans at the 'Taps' Gallagher Center on Saturday night. Big game against Loyala (Md) tonight at the GC!!

Nice. Thanks for the continued updates.

NU continued its home success against the Loyola Greyhounds with a 82-70 win on Monday night at the "Taps" Gallagher Center. The Eagles are now 12-3 overall, and 3-0 in conference.

The 13-3 (4-0 in MAAC play)Purple Eagles head to the McCann Center for the final game of a two-game MAAC road trip against Marist on Sunday. The afternoon tilt will air live on Time Warner Sports at 4 p.m. For Buffalo area wallers it is on ch. 13 on Time Warner Cable!

The 13-3 (4-0 in MAAC play)Purple Eagles head to the McCann Center for the final game of a two-game MAAC road trip against Marist on Sunday. The afternoon tilt will air live on Time Warner Sports at 4 p.m. For Buffalo area wallers it is on ch. 13 on Time Warner Cable!

No ESPN 360. Damn!

• 2 weeks later...

The Purple Eagles play host to their cross-town rival Canisius in a Monday evening showdown inside the legendary ‘Taps’ Gallagher Center. Niagara has won 10 of the last 11 games against the Golden Griffins, and nine of the last 11 games at home.

Follow it live

Niagara>Canisius....... once again

Congratulations, you could beat Canisius. Your in good company with the other 250 Division 1 schools that could probably beat Canisius on their home court. We will see how you fare in the Koesler Center next month.

BTW, it does not matter anyways. Niagara is not going to beat Siena in the MAAC tournament, especially since it is being played in Albany this year. Niagara will be lucky to make the NIT.

My uncle was the NU Bookstore manager for many years before

NU sold it to Zavel back in 1983

I worked there right after I was graduated from LaSalle Sr

until 83 then worked in the Computer Room in St Vinnies

for the 83-84 school yr

I was graduated from NU in 1984 along with my sister

then in 86 my younger sister followed

Congratulations, you could beat Canisius. Your in good company with the other 250 Division 1 schools that could probably beat Canisius on their home court. We will see how you fare in the Koesler Center next month.

BTW, it does not matter anyways. Niagara is not going to beat Siena in the MAAC tournament, especially since it is being played in Albany this year. Niagara will be lucky to make the NIT.

Take it easy....I for one would actually root for any "hometown" team to win the MAAC tournament...but by the sounds of it, you represent the typical Canisius fan....sour grapes....and FWIW you can hear crickets chirp in the Koessler Center, so I like the Purple Eagles chances there.